I went from morbidly obese to 6 pack abs! Ask me Anything

Options

Replies

• Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Is there a place I can do the IIFYM thing? I typed it in google, but I need my BMI for the one I found and I have no idea what it is.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Is there a place I can do the IIFYM thing? I typed it in google, but I need my BMI for the one I found and I have no idea what it is.
    I have a series of videos that I made to walk beginners through the entire process of starting IIFYM: http://goo.gl/zqIv6H
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!!
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Hey! First I just wanted to congratulate you on your transformation!

I just started counting calories/eating right and exercising regularly the past few weeks and its going ok. I'm male, 5'6 280lbs, so I have a lot to lose. I've been doing cardio and lifting so far but I was I wondering if I should just focus on cardio first? If not, I was looking into the ICF 5x5 regimen and was wondering how to incorporate cardio into this regimen. Thanks!
    My hierarchy of fat loss looks like this

Nutrition is more important than lifting which is more important than cardio which is more important then supplements. Lifting is key in preservation of lean mass. Someone who loses 100 lbs while lifting is going to look sooooo much better than someone who loses the same weight and does only cardio. Cardio adds to your calories burned for the day but if diet isn't in check, no amount of cardio will make up for that. The ICF 5x5 is my favorite beginners lifting routine. I highly recommend it!

this sentence is one of the best pieces of advice in a nutshell i have ever read. Thanks!!
  • JJ88000
    JJ88000 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    I've always wanted to do an AMA so I thought I'd set one up here. The basics about my story are that I went from 315lbs to 195 and have been making small gains in muscles/losses to fat ever since. Ask me anything, anything at all!
    fat+skinny+fit.jpg

Add me as a friend on here too!

Were you heavy most of your life? I weighed 369 when I started, and I'm terrified of lose skin, they say slow and steady, and it's taken me 3 years to lose 50some pounds, but I already see the lose skin, especially in my shoulders and arms. What did you do to prevent that? I have a pair of 5lb hand weights for resistance, but I've been using them more lately, will that help, or should I get something with more weight?

• libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Great transformation!
  • Cleocatra19
    Cleocatra19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Holy WOW! So inspiring!
  • vismal
    Options
    Wow, just saw that this post got pinned! Thanks everyone for all you support! Feel free to keep the questions coming! I suppose I should update the original picture to reflect 2014! g6yil84ih3zj.jpg

• Phoenix150
    Phoenix150 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    WTG! I want to add strength training to my routine and have been researching heavy lifting, however I am nursing a knee injury and was wondering if there was lifting I could do without aggregating my knee I know squats are out for sure but I don't want to end up 'lopsided"? Thanks.
  • vismal
    Options
    Krystyn150 wrote: »
    WTG! I want to add strength training to my routine and have been researching heavy lifting, however I am nursing a knee injury and was wondering if there was lifting I could do without aggregating my knee I know squats are out for sure but I don't want to end up 'lopsided"? Thanks.
    Many exercises that work the qauds also put pressure on the knee. I would try Leg extensions, leg press, lunges, rear foot elevated split squats, sumo dead lift, and goblet squats and see if any of those don't aggravate your knee. Most hamstring, glute, and calve exercises should be fine on the knee.
  • april32many
    Options
    Like a Boss!!! Amazing transformation!!!
  • ZamarTim
    Options
    Very inspiring, friend. I just quoted you on my Facebook page. :) The quote about the journey being neverending. Words I needed to hear today and much appreciated.
  • MallieRose91
    MallieRose91 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look amazing! Very inspirational!
  • nlmillervt
    nlmillervt Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm hugely impressed with your transformation - thanks for sharing it!
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Did you follow IIFYM at all? How do you feel about that?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    How many inches of penis did you gain?
  • vismal
    Options
    Did you follow IIFYM at all? How do you feel about that?
    I did/continue to practice IIFYM. I have been doing that for around 3 years now. It works because it's based sound principles. Now by IIFYM I mean I track macros and hit goals daily without restricting types of foods, I do not mean I go to the IIFYM website and use their calculator. I don't. That website did not create IIFYM and is relatively new compared to IIFYM itself. The owner simply bought the domain name. IIFYM has been around for decades, it was simply called flexible dieting prior to the adoption of the anagram.
    How many inches of penis did you gain?
    I don't measure my penis.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Dear Vismal
    Is this correct? Please help. (you said ask anything)

img31.gif
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm sure you've been asked this question already, but this thread has a lot of pages.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!