What do you eat when you're hungry at bedtime?

Options

Replies

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    String cheese or some raisins or a bit of peanut butter or a piece of dark chocolate. I almost always leave a couple hundred calories just for that bedtime snacky-snack.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I like to eat unsalted peanuts or oatmeal.
  • dickefrau1105
    dickefrau1105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    glass of wine
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I eat dry granola with dried fruit in it (1/2 serving) helps with the sweet craving, if I want something salty I usually go with Open Nature veggie sticks. pretzels dipped in a laughing cow cheese, or Pepridge farms cracker chips... I try and stay with these choices as they help me sleep better. If I really want a a sweet or chocolaty snack I settle with a bite of ice cream or a bite of a candy bar. Although I try to stay away from those the best I can.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I also love ants on a log, or just peanut butter and celery. I have to eat while in bed most nights... I just make sure that whatever I eat helps me sleep, leaves me satisfied, and is within in my calorie budget.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Well, now I have to try cinnamon on my cottage cheese, and cocoa powder in my Greek yogurt.

A half banana with peanut butter. Apple sliced and sprinkled with cinnamon. Frozen blueberries, microwaved until warm.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Edamame pods, popcorn, frozen fruit, soda, water or tea.
  • harmar21
    harmar21 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I typically snack on some beef jerky, pepperoni, summer sausage, or almonds. Something that has a bit of protein and a bit of fat.. seems to make me not absolutely starving in the morning.
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A cup of chocolate Mootopia.
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers jelly - 125ml.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat a fruit bar or a popsicle when the weather is hot. Otherwise, I don't usually have them around, but my go-to thing to eat when I need a snack is an apple. If I need protein I'll eat a bit of cheese, but more often I don't need protein by that time of day.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! I'm touched that you all cared enough to try to help me. Here's what I've learned:

I need to plan ahead, and save up for a bedtime snack. (Surely I could have thought of that!)

There are many snacks I could choose from that if eaten in small quantity could be a low calorie option.

This link was especially helpful: http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-articles/eating-cereal-before-bed
    especially since it led me to this one: http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/food-and-nutrition-articles/the-bedtime-snack-that-actually-helps-you-sleep

This article recommended:
    – Whole-grain cereal with soymilk –
    – Hazelnuts and tofu –
    – Peanut butter sandwich on whole-grain bread –
    – Whole-grain pita and hummus –

Evidently, I need to eat something with tryptophan in combination with carbs so that I can get to sleep. (I've never had a problem sleeping before, but now that I'm eating more protein, particularly the amino acid tyrosine, my brain is really awake at bedtime.) The suggestion of cereal sounds good for me, while cottage cheese, which is high in tyrosine, might be a poor choice for me.

My German friends told me they eat a whole grain cereal called Muesli that's very different from our American cereals or granola. That sounds like something I need to find a recipe for.

I've learned one other thing: I have to add the word "peckish" to my American vocabulary! I love that!!

Thanks everyone, and sweet dreams!

• shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    My strategy today was a huge container well, about 10oz of sugar snap pea's and carrots. Really filled me up-- and was super satisfiying crunching and munching on them all at 100 calories. Air-Popped corn, decaf green tea & brushing my teeth are other things I do as well to help me before bed time.
  • Goddess4Winds
    Goddess4Winds Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh! Maybe I'll skip the cottage cheese at night and save it for a dessert! lol! Or breakfast! (I'm not giving it up! lol!) Thanks, for the info. <3
  • emkrti
    emkrti Posts: 6
    Options
    I've been told by a personal trainer that eating something like greek yogurt (or cottage cheese, like another poster said) is the best option at night because it has enough protein in it that it will keep your metabolism going throughout the night while you're sleeping. That way, your metabolism doesn't slow down and you won't be hungry when you wake up.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    lefty421 wrote: »
    I really dislike trying to go to sleep while I'm bothered by hunger pangs. Does anyone have a low calorie idea for quieting a hungry tummy?
    Water.
    Bourbon.
    Paper.
    Woman.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    100g oats
    30g casein
    some sort of fruit
  • KatrineJensen
    KatrineJensen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    A mug of herbal tea, and if I'm still hungry I'll have a handful of nuts and/or a piece of fruit or some cherry tomatoes or something. Or some yogurt with berries, maybe.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Apple