Using breadmakers to make bread with less salt

Options
Hello folks

I am doing, I feel, pretty well with my healthy eating overall. I am staying on track and feeling better than I have done in years. I haven't got much of a weight loss goal, I just want to be healthy.

The one thing I can't seem to keep within limits is my sodium level, though. Looking at it, one of the biggest sources of it appears to be bread.

I have a breadmaker, and I was thinking - are there any reduced salt bread recipes I could try? I'm sure it will be fairly bland bread, but that's OK if you put something interesting on it.

Any advice welcomed. :smile:

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You have to experiment. Try half salt. Bread needs salt to halt the yeast or it doesn't stop rising.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea. We can actually taste salt in much smaller quantities than what is in food we (and especially companies) prepare, so the final product doesn't have to be completely bland. Also try varying the types of flour you put in the bread, maybe add seeds or nuts?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've found most breadmaker recipes you can greatly reduce the salt. As you can with a lot of recipes it's just a bit of trial and error