Going over calorie allowance recovery!

Options
So yesterday I went over my calorie allowance (including exercise allowance) by 400 calories. It was just one of those days that happens. What I am wondering, what are your recovery tips for when you go over. I have started today as a new day and will continue my journey, but is there something else? Should I drink extra water, eat less calories today....tips please?

Replies

• AOdell79
    AOdell79 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It happens. I suggest logging and move on. For me sometimes when I do that I will reduce by 50 or 100 calories for a few days and try to make sure that overall I am where I want to be for the week. But I think you have the right idea. Nbd. Today is a new day to be awesome!
  • Cheriesaurus
    Cheriesaurus Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I logged the extra I went over - but not on the day I done it, instead I added it to the next day so I had to be extra careful of what I ate. So overall in 2 days I was still under my calorie goal. Hope that makes sense. :P
  • chaos416
    chaos416 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I would try to be under for the next several days until I made up for the over calories day. Especially if you are working on less than 2 pounds a week loss. A couple of over days can wipe out your deficit for the week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    What kind of daily deficit are you using? I am set at a 250 cal deficit, so as long as I am over by less than the 250, I am still under maintenance and make myself feel better by doing a happy dance and then I move on. If I go over by more than 250, I try to stay under goal by 50 cals for the next couple of days, or fit in an extra workout, to blunt the damage :D

The most important thing is not to let one day knock you off your game! As long as you get back on plan, all one bad day will do is delay reaching your goal by a week, no big deal...
  • ainsliejane
    ainsliejane Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am on a 500 calorie deficit - most days I am under my set total by 100-200 calories and I don't eat back my exercise calories. Yesterday was my first day that I went over for both. I have added an extra 30 minute walk to my exercise today, along with JMBR and will maintain that extra deficit for the rest of the week -
  • AceoStar
    AceoStar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    250 calorie per day deficit? Doesn't that have you set at 14 days per pound? (3500 cal per lb/250 cal deficit). I'm still trying to get the hang of the math :cold_sweat:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I am on a 500 calorie deficit - most days I am under my set total by 100-200 calories and I don't eat back my exercise calories. Yesterday was my first day that I went over for both. I have added an extra 30 minute walk to my exercise today, along with JMBR and will maintain that extra deficit for the rest of the week -

I think the extra effort is unnecessary, especially if you are often under a little anyway. Just log it and move on as you normally do.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    look at your weekly report and see how many calories you're under for the week

if you regularly eat under your allowance by 1 - 200 and don't eat back exercise calories you are netting way more than a 500 calorie defecit per day (3500 per week)- and the 400 calories you were 'over' yesterday really wasn't over at all on a weekly basis

but yes - log it and move on
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are not over going by weekly net calorie deficit.
    you will go over regularly unless you eat back at least some exercise calories.
    i learned this the hard way.
    i eat back approx 25% of exercise calories now.
    listen to your body.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think I've only gone over on my calories (including exercise calories) two times since I started logging. What I did was create a bigger deficit on the other days that week by eating less calories and/or exercise more so that my deficit for the week overall came out the same. Honestly though 400 cal isn't going to make or break you unless you do it on a regular basis. Just try to plan ahead and make better choices next time. Stuff happens.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

Okay, your calorie deficit is 500 per day, for 1 pound per week.
    One day you had a 100 calorie deficit. If you keep to your goals for the rest of the week, your deficit will be 3,100 calories instead of 3,500 calories.
    No big deal.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    AceoStar wrote: »
    250 calorie per day deficit? Doesn't that have you set at 14 days per pound? (3500 cal per lb/250 cal deficit). I'm still trying to get the hang of the math :cold_sweat:

Yes, I only have less than 10 pounds left to go, and 1/2 lb a week is a good target with so little to lose. I'd be hangry if I ate less than I am anyway :p