Alcohol

Options
2»

Replies

• EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just be mindful of what you're mixing the alcohol with. I would also alternate a glass of water between each drink. Saves on calories and the hangover, win/win!
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I stick to a glass or 2 of wine. Or tequila, club soda, and a squeeze of lime. If I'm just having one drink I'll get a hard cider.
  • glitter1021
    glitter1021 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Miller Lite - low in calories and only 3g carbs
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I can keep my alcohol calories pretty low by sticking to diet mixers and rum/vodka. If I know I will be drinking one night, I'll try and leave room in my day for it, say don't have any snacks all day and/or get a good workout in. Or if I plan on going to a weekend party, I'll stay a bit under all week and go over that one night.

For me it is working well.

20350194.png
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I tried this the other night and it was great! 2 ounces Cabernet Sauvignon with half a can of Polar Diet Orange Dry. Wine Spitzer!
  • mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Remember that the instant alcohol hits your system your body stops metabolizing anything else in an effort to get the poison out of your system. Which means everything else gets stored because the liver simply doesn't have time.

So if you have a good deficit for the day/week already that'll help quite a bit.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Depends on the bar, and how much alcohol they put in the drink. If they are a 'generous' bar, and put more than one shot in the drink, you could be off on your calculations. A shot of Captain Morgan is 150 calories, a shot of Bacardi is 100 calories. Vodka is roughly 80. Using diet soda saves calories as well. Wine is risky, because depending on the size of the glass, you don't know what you are getting. A serving is about 3 oz, but a lot of places use very large glasses and you can get servings much larger than the typical size.
  • LauraPa1mer
    LauraPa1mer Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I'm confused. Don't you just log it and count the cals like you would anything else? If you're having 300 cals in alcohol tonight, you need to have 300 less cals throughout the day, no?

Am I over simplifying it, or are you overthinking it?

Neither, you missed the point. They were asking which drinks had fewer calories.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Straight bourbon or whiskey over ice, or with water......

/\ THIS /\ The only real problem is that after a few you end up saying "Just one chip won't hurt" or "I'm sure that Chex Mix will fit in my plan and I'll still be under".

• Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    champagne and chardonnay, are lower calorie drinks but "hard" alcohol is a lot of calories in comparison as well as usually need to be mixed with juices or sugar type mix, unless you drink shots-still add up and not much there, best to avoid mixed drinks for saving calories.
  • jrwilson13
    jrwilson13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, I love to drink on the weekend! I need help, with a low calories drink, because it's putting the weight on me! Help a sister out please.
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    Remember that the instant alcohol hits your system your body stops metabolizing anything else in an effort to get the poison out of your system. Which means everything else gets stored because the liver simply doesn't have time.

So if you have a good deficit for the day already that'll help quite a bit.

Any science to back this up? This is a new one, to me anywho. Counterpoint: this
    >

Michultraad.jpg

Here's the study. Metabolism had dropped by 73%. What's more- it affected absorption of vitamins and minerals. There is a very small study group, so obviously more studies need to be done.

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/15464/1/Alcohol-Calories-Effects-on-Weight-Loss.html
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with vodka with diet soda as a mixer.
  • TFG_em
    TFG_em Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great suggestions and links! I will definitely have to try some of these.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    just make room for it in your day or budget for it during the week ..I like vodka water with lemon comes in at about 69 calories for each ounce of vodka….
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Hurt my shoulder learning cleans today. Drinking a retard load of bourbon right now.

Go National League.
  • CarlsbergLewis
    CarlsbergLewis Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    you can drink whatever you want,,just go work it off.

well thats idiotic.. you cant out exercise a bad diet!
    even if youre sticking to for instance vodka and coke, youre still filling your body with toxins, and just holting your own progress.. if you really want to see results, you will cut it out.. if not, dont expect the results you want.
    harsh but true!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    you can drink whatever you want,,just go work it off.

well thats idiotic.. you cant out exercise a bad diet!
    even if youre sticking to for instance vodka and coke, youre still filling your body with toxins, and just holting your own progress.. if you really want to see results, you will cut it out.. if not, dont expect the results you want.
    harsh but true!

Um, not really true.

relevant article

If it works for you and doesn't, uh, 'holt' your progress, great.