Does everyone hit the gym?

Options

Replies

• brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    No gym going here. Just me and Jillian Michaels in my living room. :)

yes, she frequents my living room too......love her stuff!
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. First off, I do not particularly want to be next to a slender person on the treadmill as they run and I am walking....do not have cute work out clothes..somehow, sleep pants and a tshirt doesn't cut it .....and my work hours do not always fit so I would be paying for something that I am not able to use 3-5x a week. So, I have an air stepper, Zumba fittness workout system, Tony Little's Private Session DVD's, and even Richard Simmon's Sweatin to the Oldies. Keeps me busy for sure...and it doesn't matter what I wear!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I agree. My friends with limited budgets all work out at the Y. Plus, they have kids programs and childcare. It's based on your income and the classes are AMAZING.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I go to a gym, love it, and with a kid, three dogs and two cats at home, its almost impossible to do workouts at home.
    besides the gym is so totaly ME time.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either. First off, I do not particularly want to be next to a slender person on the treadmill as they run and I am walking....do not have cute work out clothes..somehow, sleep pants and a tshirt doesn't cut it .....and my work hours do not always fit so I would be paying for something that I am not able to use 3-5x a week. So, I have an air stepper, Zumba fittness workout system, Tony Little's Private Session DVD's, and even Richard Simmon's Sweatin to the Oldies. Keeps me busy for sure...and it doesn't matter what I wear!

dont have cute work out close either , sweat and baggy tshirt ( so i don't have to see my arms in the mirror). as far as skinny people around, hell i go so into a zone jillian herself could be workign out beside me i would never know
  • FairyMiss
    Options

dont have cute work out close either , sweat and baggy tshirt ( so i don't have to see my arms in the mirror). as far as skinny people around, hell i go so into a zone jillian herself could be workign out beside me i would never know
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    one other thing that helps me with my gym is it is close to myhouse infact i drive by it every day on the way home. Picked it for that reason. as it makes it that there is NO excuse not to work out, though at this point i look forward to it
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the gym. I don't know what i would do without it.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Can't afford a gym membership. But doorway chin up bar was cheap and I weigh more than a lot of weight plates. :bigsmile:

Bodyweight exercises ROCK!
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    I used to take the kids with me to the gym. But my youngest started to cry when I would drop him off so i canceled my membership. Right now I'm doing P90X, I have 2 months left and hoping to start Insanity after.
  • lisa35120
    lisa35120 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership but I'm thinking about cancelling... the one I have is totally affordable ($20 for both me AND my husband) but I haven't been going lately, mostly because i'm trying to save money on gas. I usually go running, do body weight training, work out dvds, and zumba on PS3, and I never get bored with those!
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I go do both - gym twice a week and home exercise twice a week.

I'm very lucky in that I can afford to have a personal trainer come to play once a week.

I can honestly say that the exercise I do at home with her is more enjoyable and as effective (if not more sometimes) as using gym equipment - the things you can do on a set of stairs, or using your own body weight, is phenominal.

So don't feel like you're missing out, a bit of imagination or some freebie programmes off the internet and you can be just as effective without machinery.

x
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I did Turbo Jam for 4 years and loved it but joined a gym December 2010 b/c I wanted to burn more calories. TJ was anywhere between 200-400 calories in 20-50 min while on an elliptical for 55 min I burn 550 and get to choose my own music, push myself rather than being lazy and doing the 20 or 30 min TJ and most importantly GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!!! Getting away from night-time TV snacking possibilities and coming home satisfied and full of endorphins is priceless – well priceless but I got a good deal, $99 a year via Dealfind.com, a 1-day certificate sale back in December 2010. My gym is only $299 a yr during frequent sales (normally $450) and my company pays for it so also another bonus.
  • C_Bran
    C_Bran Posts: 254
    Options
    i never been at a gym....i have a bar with tons of plates here to do weight stuff...soon im buying dumbells that you can add weight as you get stronger.....
    i used treadmill and dvds to help me lose weight and add definition....a gym would be nice but you can totally do it at home

I agree. You can build a beautiful body at home with no weights or with dumbbells. You can do it for free too. If you want more info I can refer you to a site that can help you. ALL FREE SITE.
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    You can also 'rent' workout DVDs on the Netflix Instant Queue if you use that. That way you're not spending $$ on DVDs.

I never thought of that. Can you recommend any in particular that they have, ones that don't involve a lot of dancing?
  • 1FitMom326
    1FitMom326 Posts: 228
    Options
    I go to a gym, love it, and with a kid, three dogs and two cats at home, its almost impossible to do workouts at home.
    besides the gym is so totaly ME time.

I agree, I have 3 daughters, dishes, laundry, homework, and for me to be able to put workin out first at home doesn't happen. therefore I got to the gym get my workout in and don't have to be distracted. I also workout much harder when I am at the gym. Nobody notices if I don't work hard at home.
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I have to check out that site
  • heather0709
    Options
    You can also 'rent' workout DVDs on the Netflix Instant Queue if you use that. That way you're not spending $$ on DVDs.

I never thought of that. Can you recommend any in particular that they have, ones that don't involve a lot of dancing?

Crunch ones are good the libary also had every workout DVD :)
  • heather0709
    Options
    i never been at a gym....i have a bar with tons of plates here to do weight stuff...soon im buying dumbells that you can add weight as you get stronger.....
    i used treadmill and dvds to help me lose weight and add definition....a gym would be nice but you can totally do it at home

I agree. You can build a beautiful body at home with no weights or with dumbbells. You can do it for free too. If you want more info I can refer you to a site that can help you. ALL FREE SITE.

Cool ! You can message me at anytime . I lost 36 pounds without a gym so I'm proud for that ;)
  • heather0709
    Options
    I have a gym membership but I'm thinking about cancelling... the one I have is totally affordable ($20 for both me AND my husband) but I haven't been going lately, mostly because i'm trying to save money on gas. I usually go running, do body weight training, work out dvds, and zumba on PS3, and I never get bored with those!

That's pretty cheap I have to call some gyms in my area I'm in chicago