Want to help my teenage niece...

Options
2»

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'd say only intervene if you have reason to be concerned about her health. Have her parents mentioned any concerns based on doctor visits? If so, perhaps give tips to the PARENTS such as encouraging her to find active hobbies to participate in.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! That's what my heart was saying...The last thing in the world I would want to do is hurt her. She is an amazing young woman, and I am very proud of all that she has accomplished at such a young age!!

Just keep being the great role model that you are. That's all you can do.

• meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    All I really want is for her to be happy and one day find love...

all you ever have to concern yourself with is that she finds someone who loves her for HER... someone who is more concerned about the size of her heart than the size of her jeans. if she wants your help, she will come to you. stay out of it.

my mother has spent most of my life harping on me about my weight. when i was in 8th grade, i wanted to join the gymnastics team because i'd always loved and admired the sport. when i told my mom the upcoming schedule, she said "are you doing this to lose weight?" i never went back to any of the practices because all that did was show me my mother had no clue about me or my interests, all she saw was flab.
  • beckytcy
    beckytcy Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, the responses look unanimous here. There is really nothing you can do to encourage someone to lose weight. I have seen my parents attempt it with my brother on numerous occasions and it never works. People have to decide for themselves that they want to lose weight. And of course she knows that she is eating poorly and leading a sedentary lifestyle. These are her choices, and there's really nothing you can do, sorry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, especially as a trainer, it's not a good idea to tell people they need to lose weight unless specifically asked. People know when they are overweight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png