Sagging Butt like no-one elses

Options
tarima034
tarima034 Posts: 14
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, having lost 4 stone, I have lost a lot of weight from my bum which used to be firm and big. My thighs have always been huge but my butt was bigger making them balance out. Now my butt seems to have actually dropped and when wearing trousers appears I have no butt at all. My thighs and butt are very loose (I have posting some pics of the fat/skin just puddling to my side when I sit). I have seen other post regarding squats, lunges etc but all the pics of the before butt are not like mine, they still have some shape, whereas mine has sunken downwards. I want to know seeing as my problem seems to be worse than others, can squats and lunges really lift this amount up, or is it loose tissue and skin at the bottom/crease of the butt.

[edited by MFP Moderator]

Replies

• lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    First of all - I hate to break it to you - but you are not unique. This is not a new problem. It's not worse than everyone else's. Your butt is like many other people's (and it's not even that bad!)! So get that negative body image thing out of your head right now. Nothing is ever so bad that it can't be rescued - but if you want to see changes, you gotta work for it!

I would say squats, lunges and other core and leg exercises would do you a world of good, even if some of it is loose skin, the overall effect of tightening up your muscles will definitely improve the look.

Have you tried pilates? It's pretty hard, but BRILLIANT for toning and overall strengthening. I do free online Blogilates videos (www.blogilates.com) - look up the Beginner's Calendar to get you started.

ETA: Congratulations on the 4 stone weight loss, that's brilliant :-)
  • tarima034
    Options
    to add, I have been maintaining at 140lbs (5'2") I know this is not ideal and the consensus is I should lose more fat, however I am actually so scared of loosing it from my butt even more and my thighs when I sit down my thighs are even wider than before I lost the weight, it is like I have lost fat but my skin is exactly the same size so all the fat spreads out depending on how gravity is affecting it i.e. when lying on my side that extra fat/skin on the crease of my bum disappears and falls to the back of bum - all my fat is not connected with my body anymore.
  • tarima034
    Options
    can anyone give their opinion if I need to lose more body fat first or add muscle first as from what I understand the two cant be done together, it would be my preference to add muscle first but I am not sure this is correct at my current weight
  • caimay149
    caimay149 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Lose body fat. But, while you are doing that, preserve as much existing muscle mass as possible through weight training. Deep squats (look up goblet squats) will fire up the glutes specifically, high step ups, hip thrust (start with glute bridge to perfect your form) and LUNGES! They have worked the best for me. I'll see if I can post a pic of my results.

Don't forget the deadlifts, shoulder press, lat pull down and bench press. Have a well rounded weights programme and when the fat is shed, you'll have a nice shape under there. Then you can look at building.
  • cherriegh
    cherriegh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Your not the only one!!! I also looked same maybe worse after my baby i weighed 200lbs! I lost 44lbs in 2months after her birth and another 11lbs 2months after that. Im now 145lbs but my tummy was saggy and had loose skin that looked like an old lady's!!

I started lifting heavy very heavy for me 5-8rep range though i always max at 6reps. Compound lifts, squats, deadlfts, lunges, leg press, bench press, hip thrusts etc My tummy and butt are so much tighter, less cellulite and rounding up in just a month! I'm still unhappy bout my tummy but its getting there becoming firmer and i'll try add core exercises to firm up muscles but the compound moves also help alot

my answer would be...start lifting very very heavy in 5-8rep range, do compound moves, eat clean at slight deficit and HIIT 20mins - 30mins twice weekly. be consistent and patient...you'll see!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    do the Brazilian butt, it works.
  • TrainerLB
    TrainerLB Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your glutes aren't actually "sagging," they're simply underdeveloped. The glute muscles are comprised of three separate muscles, the gluteus maximus, the gluteus minimus and the gluteus medius. f97aaet1f1pp.jpg

You need to work all three of these muscles to "grow your butt" in a sense and create the illusion of lifting. (Your muscles don't actually lift or go anywhere, they just get bigger and create the look of "lifting.")

The best exercise for the gluteus maximus is a weighted hip thrust (use google to look up).
    For the glute medius I would recommend either a close stance weighted squat.
    For the glute min something like wrapping a stretchy band around your ankles while walking sideways will hit it.

Lift heavy to see growth.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. This often happens to people that lose weight without strength training. I agree with the others keep losing the body fat while starting strength training.

Strong Curves is a great book with gym and home programs.

Even if you kept your calories the same and started the strength training you would see some changes. Its going to take some time though.
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this. I can't believe with my weight loss how my butt disappeared. I'm going to keep watching this post for ideas. It seemed like it happened all at once too.

Thanks to the people who responded, I can't wait to see all the replies!
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves.
  • tarima034
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your helpful repliess, I really aappreciate it and will keep this post updated with my progress
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    actually Ive got you beat. my doesnt even stick out in the back.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    Bum specific(ish) exercises floor and bench hip extensions, lunges, pelvic raises, and hip adductor, a variation on the squat called the pirouette squat.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    good mornings, barbell hip thrusts, powerclean an dpress, deadlifting, box jumps, wall squats, weighted lunges
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Squats squats and more squats! I like the machine squats because it helps with my form and it's easy on my back. Just make sure you have proper form and don't start off with too heavy of weights!
    You can do it!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    @AnnaJarmila do you mean the Smith machine? If yes then it puts you in an awkward position and isn't good for your form. If someone isn't ready for or doesn't want to do barbell squats then I recommend goblet squats using kettlebells and dumbbells.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what it's called, sorry! It has a board that you put your back on, and you are standing up and holding the handles by your shoulders.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Oh OK not the Smith machine
  • lauraebenavides
    lauraebenavides Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but I agree with everyone: You need to do weights. You need to do strength training also. I do cross training, HIIT, Tabatha, and weight lifting. Also a video that help me a lot was Jillian Michaels Killer buns and thighs. I did her video 2 to 3 times a week. My butt has never looked better. Also fitnessblenders has a butt workout series and I heard is good. Good luck!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    This thread is 16 months old.