Signing up for a 5k - great motivator or too much pressure?

Options
So... I'm thinking about signing up for a 5k in July 2015.

I'm going to start Couch25k in November (on holiday in a couple of weeks so thought I'd wait til I got back) and I've been going to the gym 4x a week, going to gym classes once/twice a week and cycling and walking at the weekend.

Thing is - running has always been my "nemesis" - even when I was super fit and cycled for hours a day I could never run. I've never signed up for anything like this before and I'm not sure if it would motivate me or not.

Does it seem feasible or am I just putting too much pressure on myself?

Replies

• sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great motivator!

I did my first 5k about a month ago and loved it. I started C25K quite a while back and never finished it after spraining my ankle. I did, however, continue exercising 6x/week and I would run here and there. The longest I had run was about 2.5 miles. I did the 5k without walking. It was a great atmosphere. I loved it honestly!

I say sign up for that 5k and work towards it. If you aren't ready to run the entire thing by the time you get there you can walk. Tons of people walk! Good luck to you :smile:
  • Fluffy_Fury
    Options
    It depends WHEN the 5k is. It's more than doable. I've always had trouble running (I have a congenital knee defect that makes it more and more painful) but I find signing up to 5k runs a good motivator as I power walk them. I always feel motivated to get a personal best at an actual event over when I'm just walking 5/10k as there are loads of other people there and the energy is a great motivator.

Just don't sign up to one too soon - the pressure of not being ready in time is only going to be a hinderance. C25ks are usually done on a 12 week schedule, so maybe worke around that?
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    great and fun

29509743.png

doing a walk run is a great way to complete it in a good time without being out of breath
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I find that I am more motivated to train if I have a goal in mind. Signing up for a run motivates me to train.

If you start C25k in November, you will be more than ready to do a 5k in July, as long as you keep running after you finish the program.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Also, there is a great group for that: couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Great motivator.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Great motivator!! You can EASILY be ready for a 5km race in July if you start in November. You could get ready for a marathon in that time! Good luck!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You will be more than ready by the time July comes in fact you should sign up for a couple more before then.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program and if you stick with it you should have no problems. Some people find they end up running a 5k before the program is done. Setting goals and working towards them is always a great thing, achieving them is even better!
  • ElizabethObviously
    ElizabethObviously Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I weigh close to 500 pounds and have completed 3 5ks. I walked them but I FINISHED them. I love them honestly! I would love to be able to complete one while running! You will do fine!
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I started running when I was 53. I had always hated it and was never good at it. An impromptu trot on the treadmill got me started, and now I'm a bonified runner. I say go for it!
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    a 5k is definietly doable in July 2015. Since you're not a runner, I'd say when you start "training" run/jog for the amount of a verse on a song if you listen to music then walk during the chorus and repeat for as long as you can do it for about a month. the next month lessen the amount of time you walk. the next month when you feel like walking just jog really really slow. I've always felt like it's harder for me to start back running from a walk but if you jog really slow you'll be able to jog for a longer time IMO. If you can, set goals for yourself on your runs. Like going a further distance or shortening your time. Seems to help me when I do that. hope this helps! Good luck!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's a great motivator, especially if it's a fun event or a cause you care about! I just ran my first 5k at the beginning of the month, and it was a blast. If you're starting c25k now, as long as you keep up with it, you'll be more than prepared next July.
  • thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I say step out of your comfort zone & do it!
  • LadyWacko
    LadyWacko Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why wait until July? If you start the program in November, you'll finish it in February. Why wait another five months to do your first 5k? Especially when waiting another five months puts you right smack in the middle of summer.

Don't worry about the pressure, just have fun. Even if you're not "ready," just get out, get your t-shirt and enjoy it.
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Plenty of time. In fact, if you start training in November, I would think a March 5k would be a better goal. By July you may feel ready for a 10k. :)
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Back in 1994 I was running 5-8 miles a week and decided I wanted to do more. I signed up for a 25K the following spring, in my fiancée's (now wife's) hometown. That was a huge motivation as I increased my weekly long run to 16 miles. But I was already running regularly.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I hadnt run for more than 5 minutes in over 20 years. C25K took me about 4 months. I had days when I didnt feel like running, 'couldnt fit it in' but I'm glad I stuck with it. November to July is loads of time to prepare.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone :D I'm going to go for it! I might even look for some 5ks that happen sooner ;)