Spinning

Options
Hello all

I have recently started a spinning class called Vibe Cycling. I started on Saturday and loved it so much I went again on sunday and monday. I'm booked in for another 3 sessions too :)

Is spinning good for weight loss? Obviously I am still going to the gym too. Spinning 2/3 times a week and gym 2/3times a week is my plan!

I need to lose some excess weight for my wedding in 2016! (I've got ages I know!) I've reached a point where I was getting very bored of the gym so stopped going as much meaning I've put on a little weight. Spinning is so fun, but I want to know if it is actually good for weight loss.

Thanks

Replies

• grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Spinning is a fantastic fat burner and will certainly help tone your legs and glutes, use your other 2/3 days in the gym for free weight compound exercises and you'll get to your goal weight in now time.
  • smelanie504
    Options
    To lose weight you need to consumer fewer calories than you burn, and spinning sure burns a lot of calories! So keep at it if you like it :)
  • EmmaFowle
    EmmaFowle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    :)
  • EmmaFowle
    Options
    Well during one of the classes I burnt around 500 calories. Surely it's not healthy to eat less than 500 calories in a whole day!?
  • conita667
    conita667 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    hi emma remember you should eat those burned calories too! when you add the exercise in MFP you get your daily calories intake PLUS your burned calories
    I'm really happy with spinning too! I love it!
  • fit_mama30
    fit_mama30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Spinning is amazing for weight loss. I was burning around 500-600 calories in a hour session when I was spinning. It's fun, too. Too bad there are not spinning studios in my new town.
  • EmmaFowle
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My calorie intake set by MFP is 1200 and I rarely go over that taking into account exercise.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    how are you determining your spin class calorie burn?
  • EmmaFowle
    Options
    It tells you how many calories you burn on the bike computer thing.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Spinning is very good for weight loss and fitness I became abit of a spin addict!! At my old gym I used to do 2 1 hour sessions back to back!! Probably a good thing I don't do this anymore as I literally don't want to lose anymore weight!! I still do 2 45mins sessions a week though because I love it along with the other stuff I do at the gym ;)
  • EmmaFowle
    Options
    I love it. It's so fun! I get such a buzz after, I really feel like it's working! I'm a spin addict too now! :) hopefully I will get great results :)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The calorie counters on cardio equipment are not that accurate.
  • mrleon82
    mrleon82 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm joining a spinning class tomorrow for the first time. I hear its one of the best Fat burners for that amount of time. After reading this thread...im more than ready! Thanks MFP Fam!
  • ticktanker
    ticktanker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    just to give you an idea, i am male 5ft 8in, weighed 20 1/2 stone (287 lbs) 13 months ago, overweight all my life, 13 months ago i spoke w a friend (extreme amateur cyclist), he recommended i try a spin class to lose weight. well i did - toughest 45 mins ever, i told instructor afterwards it was far too tough & that i probably wouldn't do it again. instructor explained that i never gave up & that he was one of the tougher instructors around. he encouraged me to try another class possible with different instructor & that i would/should find it a bit easier, after a lot of thought - i did, and true it was easier. to cut a long story short - i have now lost 6.5 stone (91 lbs) & weigh 14 stone (196 lbs). Spinning gave me the confidence to try other classes - boxercise, circuits, kettle bells, kinesis - however i find that i burn more calories & heart rate highest from spinning classes. I use a heart rate monitor with my stats to help give an indication of calories burned etc & monitor progress. ps if you haven't already, invest in some spinning shoes - they sure help with form etc. If i could turn back time - i would have got shoes straight away, HRM, started on MFP (pretty certain would have lost a bit more weight if i used MFP earlier). so in a nutshell - spinning is best bet for getting rid of that excess weight, it worked for me - Goodluck
  • Faenaria
    Faenaria Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love spin class, it's the first fitness class I've really enjoyed. It's hard work, but it feels soooo good.
  • fishingjts
    fishingjts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Spinning is a great work out and fat burner! With the high intensity work out you get the "after burner" effect. I've been spinning and doing high intensity bicycling for 50 days and I have dropped 45 pounds. No way i could have done that by just counting calories!

As mentioned, apps and equipment "calories burned" are all very generous. I use a HR monitor and for a hard 45 minute workout i usually burn about 350 to 380 calories...