I'm trying to build a strength workout routine...

Options
I'm a novice to strength training. I'm trying to avoid the whole "video" route, as the monotany tends to bore me.

My goal is to lose inches around my waist and hips, tighten my arms, and just get healthier all around. I have an overall goal to run a half marathon in a year, but I can't rely on running alone to hit my goal.

Does anyone have a routine that works especially for them--Or any idea where I can begin to build one? Just looking for tips or suggestions. :) Thank you!

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love to run now and it really helped me get the weight off and keep it off. Regarding your question, I am not trying to "bulk up" so I usually run about 4.5 miles on M, W, F but at mile 3 I am at the gym. I stop and do a set of Nautilus just to add a little strength and tone. I finish by running home. On Tue. Thurs. I run 7.5 miles and take the weekends off. It works for me! Eyeballing my second Half marathon Nov 11th. Good luck!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    5/3/1
  • arickettsjr
    arickettsjr Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    5/3/1

Yes. This is a great, and relatively simple, program. Plus you'll be out of the gym is 45 minutes or less most days.

• jaxtheassassin
    jaxtheassassin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What is 5/3/1?
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 It will work everything. Website and App available as well
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    What is 5/3/1?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=wendler+5%2F3%2F1

To your original question, I wouldn't build your own program at this point unless there's some reason you can't do an established routine. My go-to program for beginners is Starting Strength, assuming they have access to the necessary equipment. IMO, 5.3.1 isn't as efficient for beginners as the full body routines.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Use a program instead of trying to reinvent the wheel: New Rules, Strong Lifts, or 5/3/1; search the forums on here, you will find tons of info and links for the ones above.
  • Meredith8684
    Meredith8684 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'd start with Stronglifts 5x5, and shift to 5/3/1 if/when you plateau. They are both awesome, but for me stronglifts was a better place to start, and 5/3/1 is awesome now that I'm hitting blocks on my lifts.
  • MeganReasoner
    Options
    I know a GREAT website that helps you out by giving you some workouts you can do straight from home. I just so happen to know the co-founder of the website and he went to Harvard! It seriously is awesome! It's called BodBot. www.bodbot.com Try it!!!! Seriously!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    5/3/1

Yes. This is a great, and relatively simple, program. Plus you'll be out of the gym is 45 minutes or less most days.

Great program, though as a novice I would suggest starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 first. OP don't try and build a routine as a novice, follow a tried tested and true one. No point reinventing the wheel
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts. Both are simple beginning programs focusing on compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench, rows, and overhead press.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If videos bore you, then 5x5 might not be the best program. It's a very effective program, but it gets boring pretty quickly. 5/3/1 is more versatile and a bit more flexible. However, if you're a total newbie, I'd give 5x5 a shot at least for a few weeks just to build up some strength and familiarize yourself with everything. You want to make sure your form is good before moving on to anything more complicated.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If videos bore you, then 5x5 might not be the best program. It's a very effective program, but it gets boring pretty quickly. 5/3/1 is more versatile and a bit more flexible. However, if you're a total newbie, I'd give 5x5 a shot at least for a few weeks just to build up some strength and familiarize yourself with everything. You want to make sure your form is good before moving on to anything more complicated.

I also hate videos but enjoyed Stronglifts.

I feel like 5/3/1 is really more of an intermediate program. My feeling on it is that I started it before I was really ready, and I'd been lifting for about 6 months at the time. But that's all personal opinion and I have no backing for it whatsoever.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    What is 5/3/1?

Check out THIS website to track your progress for the 4 major lifts and it will auto-generate your 5/3/1 workouts for you.

• jaxtheassassin
    jaxtheassassin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! It's nice to get some first hand advice!