Digging Deep

Options
OK Guys & Gals... I am digging deep here, I get going and I am doing great and then I just stop (something may have interrupted my schedule) and then I have a heck of a time getting started again and I give up. I have been doing this my entire adult life. I don't follow through UGHHH. I am wondering if anyone has the same baggage, because I am digging deep within myself to figure out why I keep doing this, I mean seriously. I know I can do this I have no doubt but geez, why cant I keep going to the finish line. I need advice. I have about 90 pounds to lose.

Replies

• He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me before. But you have to let go of the past. Just because you failed to stay on track before, it doesn't mean you can't succeed now. Also, one of the most important things I learned is that when you encounter an interruption, you have to try to come back from it the very next meal. You can do this!
  • cstevenson86
    cstevenson86 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I have 96 pounds left to lose. I have lost 20.2 pounds so far. I know it is hard, believe me. No one can understand how truly difficult the journey is, unless they are going through it themselves. We are surrounded by food ALL THE TIME. You can do it though. Just because you failed before, does not mean you can't be successful now. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen. Good luck on your journey!
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    Thank you very much! I really appreciate it.
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What helps me is having a set schedule, meaning gym times (actually dance lessons) where someone expects to see me every week.
    I also have a set number of meals, and I'm out of the house for most of them, meaning I have to pack my food if I want to eat.
    I cook in big batches that get divided into servings immediately so packing the meals is easier.
    Meals are logged the day before, some time on my way home from work; I unpack my tupperware, wash it, dry it and pack new meals.
    What it boils down to, if you really want to suceed, then set yourself up for success. Organize so that food&exercise are your priority and soon it will become a habit, so even if schedules change you will want to get back into the healrhy routine.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    HA! that is pretty dang funny "DigginDeep"
  • aprilwatkins96
    aprilwatkins96 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with inconsistency a lot as well, especially with exercise. If you can anticipate something happening to throw you off track, then come up with a plan beforehand for how you can cope with it and get back on schedule. If it is something unexpected, then give yourself a break mentally (i.e don't beat yourself up) and commit to doing the best you can during that time (not eating a bunch of junk food, only eating when hungry) until you can get back to your routine.

Hope this helps!
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    You all are great, thank you!
    I get very frustrated with myself. None the less I am 40 now and the ouchies and stiffness is not helping me get motivated to exercise. Although, I know when I do exercise I do feel better. Ugh, the struggle is real here! I want to go to bed tonight and wake up at my goal weight is that too much to ask. LOL
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    I take offense to this topic. This is harassment. You don't even KNOW me.

I was just gonna send this to ya haha
  • zenyacleveland
    zenyacleveland Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    just finished watching this video......I have the same issue and I think the strategies discussed may help

Will Power and the Power of Self Compassion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BXuZL1HAg
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    just finished watching this video......I have the same issue and I think the strategies discussed may help

Will Power and the Power of Self Compassion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5BXuZL1HAg

You are amazing for sending this sister, thank you!
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    love this topic and imo is not discussed enough in regards to people's weight loss journey. we are all living from the neck down and ignore our head. and we diet this way too we are obsessed with diet plans and meal plans and counting macros but very few topics getting into the nitty gritty.

my advise is finding out why you are overweight in the first place. Geneen Roth's Breaking Free from Compulsive/Emotional Eating is fantastic, its short but packed with good stuff. don't be turned off by the title.

there are a million different reasons why we eat the work is finding out what makes you eat. ultimately what is preventing you from taking care of yourself?
    making good food choices, which we all know what they are, shouldn't be difficult. if it is its a sign to "dig deeper" and find out what is driving that decision? hint: its not because we love cake so much.

the more i self reflect on this myself and figured this piece of the puzzle out it is very clear to me how strongly tied my emotional state is to eating well. since understanding this all I've dropped 50lbs. the most weight I've ever dropped. and making good food choices has not been difficult when i understand my emotions and don't avoid them.

read that book, it will help your brain get started in finding out what it is for you thats holding you back from "sticking with it"
  • beamer0821
    Options
    can anyone summarize the main points in the video?
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    can anyone summarize the main points in the video?

She talks about how important sleep, meditation, is in determining will power. Stop procrastinating and take care of yourself and how feeling bad about failing doesn't help it actually drains our will power. She also speaks about if we look at our future self s we would take better care of ourselves. It is very interesting. I need to make sure I watch this when I at an uninterrupted time so I can really get all of the video. There is a book study she is talking about.

Oh and thank you for the book title!! I appreciate it. :)
  • beamer0821
    Options
    thanks for the summary. i did watch 1/2 of it. and it definitely ties in to what I'm saying as well and that book. they support one another.
  • Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I don't have any answers, but I do plan on watching that video after work.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    Icoza87 wrote: »
    I do the same thing. I don't have any answers, but I do plan on watching that video after work.

I know what you mean, it is so hard to find the real reasons we keep "starting over". Let me know what you think of this video.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Inconsistency can be a sign that the methods you're trying to use are too extreme to be sustainable. If you're willing to accept that results will come more slowly than you may want, you can try something more gradual.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today."

This quote always gives me motivation :) Best of luck to you~
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    Inconsistency can be a sign that the methods you're trying to use are too extreme to be sustainable. If you're willing to accept that results will come more slowly than you may want, you can try something more gradual.

Yes! This is true, thank you very much.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    "The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today."

This quote always gives me motivation :) Best of luck to you~

I love that quote. I am going to put in front of me so I can see it everyday. Thank you!