Females and Weights

Options

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I started tinkering with weights a year and a half or so ago. Made a little progress, then kind of stopped because I didn't have the equipment needed to really be serious about it. We acquired a home gym this past summer. I did Stronglifts for 3 months and have since moved onto a different, but similar program. I haven't lost and scale weight, but definitely look better, more "toned". And I agree with the poster above who said it seems to translate into other aspects of your life. I feel much more confident, stronger inside and out.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I've been lifting for just over a year. I wasn't super serious up until about 5 months ago. Before that, I was just going through the motions. I've had fantastic results since getting serious about lifting. My body is much more firm, looks better, and is a lot stronger than I believed possible.

I somewhat unintentionally bulked for a few months over the summer. I was watching what I ate, but I was eating more than I needed because I was lifting so I thought I could. I didn't pack on the pounds, but I go to the point of not being comfortable in my own body. I am now cutting to get back to a more (personally) desirable composition. So far, I'm loving what I see.

I lift three days a week currently. I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 at the moment. I've previously done New Rules of Lifting for Women. In a few months, I'm going change up my routine again to 4 days a week with some hypertrophy work in there. I'm also going to start intentionally bulking once i get my BF down a bit.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    How do I say this so it sounds PC? Ah, screw it. If I hadn't discovered weight lifting, I would be forever stuck in skinny fat hell.

I've been lifting for a little over a year. 3-4 times per week using Strong Curves. My body looks better than it did before going through 3 pregnancies, and I owe it all to heavy lifting.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Many of us lift. Lifting is a great way to improve body composition and retain lean mass. That means less weight to lose in the long run and a nice body under the fat.

I lift 5-6 days a week, but I'm also a competitive female bodybuilder.
    Guess I shouldn't mention I'm a powerlifter too, then I'd be a real shmuk who holds a world record in the AWPC for deadlift.
    IMG_20131010_202918_zpsa692fb22.jpg
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    meemo88 wrote: »
    Many of us lift. Lifting is a great way to improve body composition and retain lean mass. That means less weight to lose in the long run and a nice body under the fat.

bhahahah every shmuk in the forum says their a bodybuilder now.

Hahaha guess I'm a shmuk. Nevermind placing first in women's heavyweight. Guess I shouldn't mention I'm a powerlifter too, then I'd be a real shmuk who holds a world record in the AWPC for deadlift.

:drinker: :flowerforyou: :love:

• missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i think the majority of women here who post often lift. we understand that you need to add weights in to achieve goals. i for one am a 85% strength trainer and only 10-15% cardio person. my cardio is lifting weights. I do HIIT in the summer to drop body fat % on top of maintaining a weight lifting regiment
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Hahaha guess I'm a shmuk. Nevermind placing first in women's heavyweight. Guess I shouldn't mention I'm a powerlifter too, then I'd be a real shmuk who holds a world record in the AWPC for deadlift.

I know that's right!!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

If you're a schmuk, than I want to be one too! B)
    ---

To answer your question OP, I've been lifting for about 8 months now and I love it. It's changed my body shape in a good way and I love challenging myself now. I do some cardio on my non-lifting days and I find that it's a good balance to have. I am definitely more confident in myself too. There's nowhere but up from here now ;)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I <3 you so hard Danielle

• lishie_rebooted
    Options
    I guess I should actually answer the OPs question...

I started lifting with free weights in November of 2012. I had been using machines before that and knew that I needed to use free weights for a better benefit. But I just didn't do it. I wasn't particularly scared of the free weights section of the gym I was going to at the time. I saw the same people there everytime I went and even asked one of the guys for help when I started looking into New Rules of Lifting. It wasn't until I switched to a different gym in the same franchise that I finally started with New Rules. I did that through Stage 1. Switched to a completely different gym and started Stronglifts. Did that for quite a few months and through some more gym changes (I moved a lot in late 2012/early 2013). I got injured and switched to a body split so I could drop leg day in/out depending how my knee felt. Went to ICF5x5 when I was 100% allowed to squat. Ran that until April/May of this year. Switched gears to focus more on running and I moved again so I went back to Stronglifts. My race is this Sunday so I'll go back to ICF once that's done.

Even though I've been lifting for 2 years, I haven't always been consistent. Between injuries and just general laziness. But I love the feeling I get from lifting. How confident and strong and capable I feel from lifting. Especially deadlifts.
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm still a newbie to the lifting thing.....started June 2013.....I have limited funds and can't afford a gym membership so I invested in a one time cost of Bowflex Select Tech dumbbells and I have p90x, Chalean Extreme for workouts....I work out at home with these....I'm still learning for sure and I love the look of muscles....still a work in progress but I highly recommend lifting.....the ladies on here who have answered so far are all awesome!!!:)
  • xcalygrl
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yep. My goal is to be like @usmcmp.
  • usmcmp
    edited October 2014
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

:heart: Thank you! You have really nice quads!
  • xcalygrl
    edited October 2014
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

:heart: Thank you! You have really nice quads!

Thank you! And just for the record, you've got major class :wink:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Back to the OP:
    I've done strength programs and hypertrophy programs. I prefer hypertrophy (PHAT is a great one). There are so many benefits to lifting. You won't end up looking "manly" because to build the kind of lean mass I have takes a lot of hard work with the intent on getting huge muscles.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have done a round of Strong Curves. I love it. I am currently doing Stronglifts.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    iCupCakeNZ wrote: »
    So i'm new to the weightlifting scene, two weeks into it actually and already i'm starting to notice small changes including the drop in my body fat percentage as well as my arms are starting to tone and get smaller. I was just curious as to how many woman out there have used weight lifting as a way to tone up and lose weight and what their results were as well as how it affected them and how often they did it.

Any feed back would be much appreciated

Programs I've noticed mentioned so far for you:
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Stronglifts
    Strong Curves
    ICF

There's also Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass. I've never done it but I had friends who have.
    What program are you following OP?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I saw great strength gains on Stronglifts. It's simple and effective.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    OP: I think the biggest part of lifting is simply finding a program you like. I started with a few on bodybuilding.com that got me hooked on lifting. If I had started with Stronglifts I may not have stuck with it. Others love Stronglifts. Try a variety of programs and have fun with it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been lifting on and off since high school actually. Just got back into it, and doing it regular about 3 years ago. I love it. I love feeling strong and capable and what it's done to my body. 4 years ago I was having a hard time picking up my then 4 year old daughter. She's now 8 and 60lbs and I can pick her up and carry her around just fine. I can carry groceries, move furniture and even open pickle jars (most of the time).