Females and Weights

Replies

• maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    I am thinking meemo88 wouldnt be saying this crap she is spewing, to any of our faces. I did squat 225 yesterday.... hiding behind a computer is so much easier than taking a look in the mirror. In the mirror is where the truth lies, cant hide hate and misery, meemo88.
    Pretty sure I dont look like a man.

OP I hope you do find lifting for the beauty it is. It gives you confidence you wont find anywhere else. My weight on the scale is slow, but I lost 56.5" in 2 months. Start slow, you will find the style, and timing that is right for you! Best wishes!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    FTR, I can't wait until I can get back into lifting... Right now it's verbotten, but I like it so much better than cardio...

Medically banned?
    I went through that as well.
    Every physical therapy appointment I'd ask if I was allowed to squat or deadlift yet

Yeah... I was just starting to lift and even then I wasn't exactly consistant... and now I've got a bun in the oven and now I can't lift like I should... I'm still doing to do some dumbbell lifts to just keep my muscles remembering... But yeah, I was order no more than 20 pounds (psh! yeah right, my toddler weighs more than that)... but I was only deadlifting 30 pounds anyway... which isn't a lot compared to many of the ladies here.. but it was for me. ;) either way, I gotta take it down a notch.

Congrats on the new baby!
    That happened to one of my friends here too, She was just getting into SL and then found out she was preggers...

But there are definitely ways you could make some of this harder as you go - even without going past 20#. But check with your doctor first!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Yes, I've been lifting on and off since high school actually. Just got back into it, and doing it regular about 3 years ago. I love it. I love feeling strong and capable and what it's done to my body. 4 years ago I was having a hard time picking up my then 4 year old daughter. She's now 8 and 60lbs and I can pick her up and carry her around just fine. I can carry groceries, move furniture and even open pickle jars (most of the time).

Those damn pickle jars...

Seriously, can get all the groceries in one load thanks to lifting. But that pickle jar?! Bah! xD

Meh... the pickle jar I just let my man open... even if I can open it. ;)
  • k8blujay2
    edited October 2014
    FTR, I can't wait until I can get back into lifting... Right now it's verbotten, but I like it so much better than cardio...

Medically banned?
    Every physical therapy appointment I'd ask if I was allowed to squat or deadlift yet

Yeah... I was just starting to lift and even then I wasn't exactly consistant... and now I've got a bun in the oven and now I can't lift like I should... I'm still doing to do some dumbbell lifts to just keep my muscles remembering... But yeah, I was order no more than 20 pounds (psh! yeah right, my toddler weighs more than that)... but I was only deadlifting 30 pounds anyway... which isn't a lot compared to many of the ladies here.. but it was for me. ;) either way, I gotta take it down a notch.

That happened to one of my friends here too, She was just getting into SL and then found out she was preggers...

But there are definitely ways you could make some of this harder as you go - even without going past 20#. But check with your doctor first!

Yeah... the gist I was getting from the nurse was to watch engaging the core, particularly the abs.

Oh and thanks. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Yes, I've been lifting on and off since high school actually. Just got back into it, and doing it regular about 3 years ago. I love it. I love feeling strong and capable and what it's done to my body. 4 years ago I was having a hard time picking up my then 4 year old daughter. She's now 8 and 60lbs and I can pick her up and carry her around just fine. I can carry groceries, move furniture and even open pickle jars (most of the time).

Seriously, can get all the groceries in one load thanks to lifting. But that pickle jar?! Bah! xD

I think you need big hands.

Thanks for helping me feel better about that! :flowerforyou:

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I am one of the people that loves Stronglifts -- I am into the app which I need because I am terrible at remembering WTF to do and when and what and blah blah. I liked Strong Curves (which let me tell you did amazing things for my abs, seriously) but I love the simplicity of Stronglifts. Like usmcmp said, try stuff and have fun. If you stop having run, try something else.

Do you use the Stronglifts iPhone app? I like it to keep track, but the timer defaults to 1:30 rest times...does anyone know any way to adjust, or another app that has adjustable rest times?

Yep and it's my (and husband's) primary complaint about the app itself. I haven't found a work around, so I just go with it. I am totally not a "schmuck" yet and that I figure it probably knows what I need better than I do at this point.

When I did SL I used the App but didn't use the timer...used the one on my phone due to the fact that 90secs sometimes isn't just enough time

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member

Medically banned?

Yeah... the gist I was getting from the nurse was to watch engaging the core, particularly the abs.

When I talked to my OB about it, he actually was in favor of engaging the core (properly). But then, I'd been lifting for 6+ months before getting pregnant. The biggest concerns were to not "push it" (which is hard for me to avoid!) and take longer breaks. I guess every provider is a bit different. [Unfortunately, I had a challenging pregnancy and haven't been to the gym in months. I can't wait until my 6 week checkup and I get clearance to work out again.]
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    J F'ing C - did someone's child get a hold of their parents login information or are there really 25 year olds that act like meemo?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    I am one of the people that loves Stronglifts -- I am into the app which I need because I am terrible at remembering WTF to do and when and what and blah blah. I liked Strong Curves (which let me tell you did amazing things for my abs, seriously) but I love the simplicity of Stronglifts. Like usmcmp said, try stuff and have fun. If you stop having run, try something else.

Do you use the Stronglifts iPhone app? I like it to keep track, but the timer defaults to 1:30 rest times...does anyone know any way to adjust, or another app that has adjustable rest times?
    There are a thread about this yesterday actually.
    I wish I could remember the name for you...

JeFit was mentioned. Redy-something as well.
    I'm not super helpful here since I use a notebook and a pen to track my workouts - I'm old school.
    But search the forums for "lifting tracking app", something like that should find it for you

JeFit is great. You can add in your own routines, save multiple routines, set rest timers, set up supersets, all sorts of things. And it has a website so you can do all this comfortably with a nice large keyboard and it syncs with the phone app. Love it.

• NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    I think every women should lift. Frankly, I wouldn't describe myself as a heavy lifter yet but I'm working progressive harder just to get my middle age *kitten* back up were it should be and to get rid of bat wings. My point is that whether your dealing with a recent significant weight loss, aging or post-baby and only want your old body back you need to lift some heavy sh#t. If you want to look like the body building goddess in the previous post then you have to lift even heavier sh#t more often.
  • k8blujay2
    mathjulz wrote: »

Medically banned?

When I talked to my OB about it, he actually was in favor of engaging the core (properly). But then, I'd been lifting for 6+ months before getting pregnant. The biggest concerns were to not "push it" (which is hard for me to avoid!) and take longer breaks. I guess every provider is a bit different. [Unfortunately, I had a challenging pregnancy and haven't been to the gym in months. I can't wait until my 6 week checkup and I get clearance to work out again.]

I think mine is just that old school...

• k8blujay2

There are a thread about this yesterday actually.
    I wish I could remember the name for you...

JeFit was mentioned. Redy-something as well.
    I'm not super helpful here since I use a notebook and a pen to track my workouts - I'm old school.
    But search the forums for "lifting tracking app", something like that should find it for you

JeFit is great. You can add in your own routines, save multiple routines, set rest timers, set up supersets, all sorts of things. And it has a website so you can do all this comfortably with a nice large keyboard and it syncs with the phone app. Love it.

I'm going to have to look this up... because the app I use now to track my progression doesn't allow me to time rest periods, which is what I really need.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    <--- woman who lifts. I have been lifting heavy for 10 months but only seriously for 8. I did strong curves advanced, Nia Shanks' 54321, Nia's Muscle sculpting program and now doing her 3x3x3. I really like Nia's programs obviously.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    meemo88 wrote: »
    Many of us lift. Lifting is a great way to improve body composition and retain lean mass. That means less weight to lose in the long run and a nice body under the fat.

I lift 5-6 days a week, but I'm also a competitive female bodybuilder.

bhahahah every shmuk in the forum says their a bodybuilder now.

Hahaha guess I'm a shmuk. Nevermind placing first in women's heavyweight. Guess I shouldn't mention I'm a powerlifter too, then I'd be a real shmuk who holds a world record in the AWPC for deadlift.
    IMG_20131010_202918_zpsa692fb22.jpg

I <3 you so hard Danielle

Me too she rules.

And her knowledge (which she freely shares) is spot on. She has been my Yoda.

• srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    My wife and I started lifting a few months ago and - more recently - we've been aligning our workouts so we can help each other. We started eating at a calorie deficit and began a regimented exercise program (lifting 3-4x per week plus cardio) in May. She's peeled off about 13-14 points from her body fat (started at ~44% and currently at ~31%) with an ultimate goal of 20%. I'm tracking slightly behind her with an end goal of 15% BF - but she's more consistent with the exercise and nutrition than me. We work with a trainer once per week and do a program he designed for us. We both do the major lifts with barbells - dead lifts, bench presses, overhead presses, squats, and rows - as well as accessory exercises like pull-ups, leg presses and leg curls. She's getting her girly figure back which I really like... but that's another conversation. :)

My wife says the strength gains she's made from lifting are "very empowering". I like the fact that she can spot me when I bench press.

Sam
  • mrsmustgetmuscles1
    mrsmustgetmuscles1 Posts: 57 Member
    I lost all my weight while lifting weights. Pretty much a 5x5 with accessories work thrown in after.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    moya_bleh wrote: »
    meemo88 wrote: »
    Many of us lift. Lifting is a great way to improve body composition and retain lean mass. That means less weight to lose in the long run and a nice body under the fat.

I lift 5-6 days a week, but I'm also a competitive female bodybuilder.

bhahahah every shmuk in the forum says their a bodybuilder now.

Hahaha guess I'm a shmuk. Nevermind placing first in women's heavyweight. Guess I shouldn't mention I'm a powerlifter too, then I'd be a real shmuk who holds a world record in the AWPC for deadlift.
    IMG_20131010_202918_zpsa692fb22.jpg

Best. Response to a troll. Everrrrrr.

+1
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member

Meh... the pickle jar I just let my man open... even if I can open it. ;)

They do like to feel useful every now and then.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    I'm currently recovering from an injury. But I started lifting June of last year at 170 lbs. 9 months I lost around 50 lbs and started my first bulk in February. I'm absolutely in love with weightlifting both from a strength standpoint and a body comp standpoint. I'm 5 lbs lighter than I was in high school but 4 sizes smaller than I was. I thought that would be impossible after two kids. One thing I would have changed would be starting with an actual routine to start. I wasted several months doing random lifts instead of a tried and true routine.

Lose weight at a moderate pace, get good protein, and stick to a program.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Dont' mind me.. just cleaning things up. And tagging because girls who lift are awesome.

And in case anyone has questions about the rules: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines