Daily Weighing?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rien5
    Rien5 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I check weight twice a day. In the morning and when I get home from work. It usually fluctuates half a pound
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me not to, but I was on this program for five days and gained a pound and a half. I was obsessive about weighing. Then I decided to only weigh once a month. It was hard at first to stop, but it's such a great sense of freedom. I can tell I've lost weight this month, but by the time I get on the scale it will be enough to look significant, which will really reinforce my plan.

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I weigh pretty much daily, but then I don't have a "problem" with it. I want the data. I want see and learn to understand the fluctuations and be able to correlate them with previous days' sodium intake or exercise levels, etc. It's only a problem if you can't understand and work with seeing daily fluctuations, otherwise "only weigh once a week" is just a SUGGESTION and one you don't HAVE to follow.
    THIS. Nothing wrong with weighing daily.
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    When I was losing weight I weighed myself once a week, as the daily fluctuations threw me off.

Now that I'm sorting out my eating to figure out maintenance, I weight every day as a data collection thing. The number don't upset me anymore, it's just good stuff to know. So weight daily if you like, but not if it upsets you, or makes you obsess about it!
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm weighing once a month. I want to actually seem some change when I weigh.
  • goddessintraining1
    Options
    Personally, I can't do this while trying to lose weight. It's discouraging as heck.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Whenever I have weighed daily it became a negative obsession with the number on the scale. I am more positive if my focus is on my overall health and fitness level. Weighing once a week is enough information for me.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yeah I weigh almost every day. As long as you can rationalise the fluctuations its a helpful tool in terms of following progress as well as understanding your own body. Besides, if I weighed once a week and it fluctuated upwards for whatever reason that would be far more frustrating knowing another week had to pass before the next attempt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you understand that your weight is going to fluctuate from day to day...sometimes substantially...and that doesn't bother you, then there's nothing wrong with daily weigh ins.

I don't weigh in daily, but I do weigh in about 3-4 days per week just for data points and trend analysis. That said, I understand natural body weight fluctuations and they don't bother me. I understand that while the scale told me I was 190 on Monday morning (after a weeks long vacation) that I didn't actually gain 8-10 Lbs of fat (my maintenance weight is around 180 - 182ish)...because math is your friend and mathematically, that's pretty much impossible. I understand that I did indulge more than usual and thus have more waste in my system...plus I ate out a lot and my sodium intake was higher than usual...thus fluid retention...to boot, I ate more carbs than usual which also cause fluid retention.

These things do not bother me...I don't get all stressed out an manic about it...I don't go on some crazy exercise binge or crash diet for a week...I just get back to my usual and voila...I'm back down to 183 as of this morning.
  • afatakedavra
    afatakedavra Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh pretty much daily, but then I don't have a "problem" with it. I want the data. I want see and learn to understand the fluctuations and be able to correlate them with previous days' sodium intake or exercise levels, etc. It's only a problem if you can't understand and work with seeing daily fluctuations, otherwise "only weigh once a week" is just a SUGGESTION and one you don't HAVE to follow.

This. Exactly.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh every day -- about twice a week or so. If I have a cheat day or a week-end that I went over, I can't see weighing myself on Monday morning and then getting all depressed about it. I usually weigh mid-week and end of the week to see if the current weight is holding.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and find it helpful. Sometimes I predict my weight beforehand based on various factors such as TOM, water intake, exercising recently, which helps to minimize any discouragement.
  • djoalaska
    Options
    It's so easy to forget that when you are replacing fat with muscle, you are replacing flab with dense material. It weighs a bit more and takes up a bit less space. It can take awhile to see FAT LOSS on the scale. I don't care about the scale nearly as much as I care about getting into the next size down. And I've been known to do THAT with little indication from the scale that it should be happening! So I always keep the next size down handy to try and squeeze into periodically. I do weigh daily, but I ONLY LOG LOSSES. What I need to see is PROGRESS, not FLUCTUATIONS (due to what I just ate, my cycle, or one bad day). So when I see a number that's less than I've seen before, I log THAT as REAL loss, and watch my little line go DOWN (not UP and DOWN). But stepping on the scale once a day, even seeing a bit of a gain for whatever reason, is a really good reminder that I need to be MINDFUL of what I'm eating and that not being so WILL cost me!
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options

This ^ sums it up for me. I want to see those fluctuations to better understand how different foods affect me.

When I eventually reach my goal I'll probably stop my daily weigh ins and switch to weekly or monthly instead.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily keeps me on track.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I don't plan to stop any time soon. I like to have the info as others have stated. It helps me to see the pattern my body follows and gives me some clue of what to expect...but if I don't get what I expect I don't let it ruin my day either. Your post kinda made me laugh though because a while back I was getting on and off the scale literally 5-10 times just in the morning before work and it would keep giving me different numbers so I did finally have to decide that whatever number it gives me first is it for the day...plus I only record once a week but I can relate to what you mean when you say you tell yourself you won't do it and then do it anyway. Do whatever you are comfortable with, there is no right or wrong.
  • Oneironaut
    Oneironaut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I like weighing daily or at least a few times a week. I like lots of data and stats, but it definitely wouldn't be advisable for someone who worries about the daily fluctuations that are inevitable.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I weigh most days just for fun and because I'm constantly curious about how things work. I don't take it seriously and I don't get stressed even if it says 1 lb heavier despite busting my butt the day before. I do weigh once weekly every Monday though and consider that where my responsibility lies. It is the number I log here regardless of its change.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You could weigh daily on a wifi scale and not look at the display. Use trendweight.com to just check in on the trend occasionally or even just later in the day when you're feeling more analytical and less vulnerable.

I didn't like what I saw on the scale this morning but then when I checked trendweight I realized I was doing ok. I want to start with the 'blind weighing'. Maybe tomorrow.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I weigh once each morning. I don't weigh throughout the day, I just pick the same time and situation (morning, after I go to the bathroom, undressed, etc) and weigh myself then. I try not to take little fluctuations seriously. I just keep myself in check better with daily weigh ins rather than weekly ones. It's purely personal.