Visible ribs, but I still have a belly. What's going on?

Options
2»

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    ibvitale wrote: »
    I've just recently started a workout video with some crunches included, so hopefully that will help. Wayyyy too poor to afford a gym membership, unfortunately. Do I just need to workout & build muscle?

Crunches will do absolutely nothing for reducing the fat on your belly, I'm sorry to say. You body will lose weight wherever you are genetically predisposed to lose fat from. Some people are just prone to holding onto fat in one specific are while the rest of the body leans out. For me, it's the inner thighs.

Look up Convict Conditioning, or You Are Your Own Gym, to build strength and retain muscle mass just by using your own body weight, if you can't afford a gym.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    angleu wrote: »
    . Since muscle weighs more than fat, this may cause you to gain weight

Muscle does not weigh more then fat it just takes up less space..If you build bigger muscles you then will notice the scale move a bit. but to do that you need to eat at a surplus.

<3 Truth
  • langurmonkey
    Options
    My ribs show and I still have a belly. It's very frustrating, but I am resolved to lift more heavy weights to develop upper body muscle and hopefully still eat at a deficit to get rid of the belly.
  • Zsu75
    Zsu75 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It could also be fat packed around your organs. Read wheat belly by dr davis, and grain brain by dr perlmutter, for more explanation.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Old post, people, I imagine the Op found her solution or did not.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    How much do you weigh? Generally, its poor body composition that prevents some from getting a flat stomach.

Lemon!!! A 20 month old bump, I'm a disappointed my friend.

Something weird is going on and not because I got necro pwnd... I found this at the top of the General Fitness when I replied..
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How much do you weigh? Generally, its poor body composition that prevents some from getting a flat stomach.

Lemon!!! A 20 month old bump, I'm a disappointed my friend.

Something weird is going on and not because I got necro pwnd... I found this at the top of the General Fitness when I replied..

Maybe it is a haunted thread.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    IDK OP but hopefully since February 2013 you found your answer.