Depo Provera & BC patch

Options
Yep... Another post about this form of birth control. But my questions are a little different. In two weeks I am going to get this shot as my form of birth control. My gyno said that this would be better seeing how I am over weight and all. I've attacked this healthier lifestyle and exercise regimen (love it!) like its going out of style. However after reading forum after forum I've noticed that a lot of women are gaining weight like crazy. Well that's the complete opposite of what I want to happen. It said that 1/4 of women will gain weight. I was wondering if I watch my eating, exercise and take a metabolism boosting supplement will this help? Also, I sweat a lot when I work out. If I were to opt for the BC patch would it sweat off?! What about placement? Have any of you ladies tried the BC patch and had any side effects?

Replies

• thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The depo shot "makes women gain weight" because it increases their appetite. Every bc affects your hormones & the depo affects the hormone (idk what it's called) that makes you want to eat more. With exercise & a healthy diet, you should be good. Have you been on it before? I ask because with me, it messed up my period. I got spotting sometimes & other times I got very light periods that lasted weeks! They say after your third shot, if you're lucky, your period will go away completely... unfortunately I wasn't lucky. I've been on mine for over 2 weeks now :/ so talk with your doctor about that. On the other hand, my sister was on it for years & had no problems with her period other than random spotting that eventually went away. Just a heads up! It could be the medication I'm on mixed with the shot.. don't want to worry you.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love Depo. Nearly 14 years on it, no periods, no cramping, no pms, no bloating. Also no weight gain that I didn't do to myself. I have no problem losing the weight once I get my head on straight and get down to business. But I lurve carby goodness sohard.
  • danieb462
    Options
    Actually no I haven't. I'm 23 years old and I recently lost my virginity 2 months ago. I used a condom the first time but it wreaked havoc on my vagina. I was like oh nooo! My bf loves that we don't use them anymore and he constantly says (thanks to instagram and vine -_-) that his "pull out game too strong, ask my kids" he doesn't have any! Well I don't want to risk getting pregnant. Lately I have been eating my 3 meals a day but that's it. I haven't been hungry lately. I eat at a deficit and I hit my macros. I do 100 jacks, push ups (modified) and several other calisthenics for my warm up and do C25K for my cardio three times a week and the other three days I do HIIT for 6 minutes and SL 5x5. I don't want get this shot and start gaining weight. Cause trust me I will stop having sex! It's not that enjoyable and kinda painful right now anyways! My periods have been irregular since it started when I was 15
  • danieb462
    Options
    I love Depo. Nearly 14 years on it, no periods, no cramping, no pms, no bloating. Also no weight gain that I didn't do to myself. I have no problem losing the weight once I get my head on straight and get down to business. But I lurve carby goodness sohard.

Me too! I'm half Italian so I know all about carb over load. Are you worried about the whole "bone density" thing being an issue. I want this shot to work for me and not against me cause I'm determined to lose about 80 lbs by my birthday in April
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    danieb462 wrote: »
    Yep... Another post about this form of birth control. But my questions are a little different. In two weeks I am going to get this shot as my form of birth control. My gyno said that this would be better seeing how I am over weight and all. I've attacked this healthier lifestyle and exercise regimen (love it!) like its going out of style. However after reading forum after forum I've noticed that a lot of women are gaining weight like crazy. Well that's the complete opposite of what I want to happen. It said that 1/4 of women will gain weight. I was wondering if I watch my eating, exercise and take a metabolism boosting supplement will this help? Also, I sweat a lot when I work out. If I were to opt for the BC patch would it sweat off?! What about placement? Have any of you ladies tried the BC patch and had any side effects?

I've been on Depo over two years. I always maintained easily, and have lose easily on it. Like many other medications, you need to be mindful of your intake, and not eat over maintenance. I've lost 20+ lbs since I started trying to lose in March, and the entire time I've been on it, I haven't had any issues with controlling my appetite or gaining large amounts of weight.

My NP has also advised me to take calcium as well while I'm on it. Talk to yours to see if you should be supplementing your intake with calcium supplements, as Depo can be linked to lost bone density. Personally, I love Depo. It's one of the few options that has worked for me very well! I'm sad to switch over to a new method soon, since it's not one you should stay on for more than a couple years.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I know everyone says it makes you gain weight because your appetite increases, but that's not true for everyone. Things like Depo and Mirena IUD work because they trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, is how my doctor described it. So you are going to bloat like you are pregnant, etc. When I took it after losing my baby weight, and not changing my eating habit at all I gained 30 lbs back on Depo. The same thing happened when I had Mirena over 10 years later. 30 lbs without changing eating habits. Both messed up my body hormonally and my menstral cycles were whack. I wouldn't recommend either to my worst enemy. But every body is different with how they react to things. I never gain weight on oral contraception *the pill* but Depo and Mirena I do..
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    danieb462 wrote: »

Me too! I'm half Italian so I know all about carb over load. Are you worried about the whole "bone density" thing being an issue. I want this shot to work for me and not against me cause I'm determined to lose about 80 lbs by my birthday in April

Not really. I get my regular check ups and a density scan every once in a while, having suffered through two calcium-sucking children (LOL). Scans come back well within the normal range without supplementation. Of course YMMV. All the women in my line have been workhorses with strong backs and stronger opinions. Looks like I got their genes and their hips.
  • mram3582
    mram3582 Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Depo form of Povera for 17 years now (no Joel juniors) I've gained weight while on Povera. However, I am also able to lose while on it too. They also have the progesterone based implant instead of the Depo form also. Make sure you get enough calcium and folic acid while on it.
  • danieb462
    Options
    For those of you that it made you gain weight was it hard for you to lose the weight once you were on it or after you stopped? I know the whole calories in calories out make you gain or lose weight but did it slow down your metabolism?
  • allieO3390
    allieO3390 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't want to scare you! But I went on Depo as my first form of birth control after being a virgin as well. I gained all the weight I am still trying to lose on Depo in a year (about 80 pounds). When I stopped taking it, I immediately lost about 15 pounds of what I think was water weight. At the time, I completely blamed Depo on the weight gain. After attempting to lose weight, I now see that almost all of the weight gain (except the 15 of water) was me eating more on Depo. Before Depo I never had an issue with self control or stopping when I was full. On Depo I ate and ate (especially carbs) and never felt full. However, after getting off Depo it did take a couple months before I felt normal again.

Although studies show that Depo doesn't cause weight gain (except initial water retention), it can make you very hungry and you need to watch your intake. Make sure you track consistently and don't be alarmed if you lose the feeling of being "full." My body stopped giving me that signal and you definitely need to be aware that that is a potential side effect before you start Depo.
  • danieb462
    Options
    allieO3390 wrote: »
    I don't want to scare you! But I went on Depo as my first form of birth control after being a virgin as well. I gained all the weight I am still trying to lose on Depo in a year (about 80 pounds). When I stopped taking it, I immediately lost about 15 pounds of what I think was water weight. At the time, I completely blamed Depo on the weight gain. After attempting to lose weight, I now see that almost all of the weight gain (except the 15 of water) was me eating more on Depo. Before Depo I never had an issue with self control or stopping when I was full. On Depo I ate and ate (especially carbs) and never felt full. However, after getting off Depo it did take a couple months before I felt normal again.

Although studies show that Depo doesn't cause weight gain (except initial water retention), it can make you very hungry and you need to watch your intake. Make sure you track consistently and don't be alarmed if you lose the feeling of being "full." My body stopped giving me that signal and you definitely need to be aware that that is a potential side effect before you start Depo.

OMFG! 80lbs?! Omg... I'm just now enjoying being out of the "threes"! Which is major motivation but the thought of getting it now deff scares me. Can you get an implantable device if you've never had kids? I guess I'll get the first shot for a month. At my OB/GYN there are two options for the shot. Monthly and 3 months and see if I start gaining weight. So do all BC make you gain weight? Or is this one just really notorious for weight gain?
  • allieO3390
    allieO3390 Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    All BC can make you gain weight indirectly by making you more hungry. Depo has also been shown to increase water weight gain. Depo has a higher dose of hormone than other methods (such as Mirena or nexplanon) because you only get the shot every month or every 3 months. It is also an intramuscular shot so more is needed to be absorbed by the body vs oral contraceptives or an implant. If you are concerned, the 1 month option gives you a lower dose of hormone at a time which may decrease side effects.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Depo is more risky than other methods, because if you find it affects you adversely, you can't just stop and try something else. You have to wait 3 months. I only took 2 shots and gained 30lbs and ate the same way. I do feel like it messed my metabolism up, it was deft harder to lose weight after that. And is hard to lose after getting my IUD out. I lost weight just fine while on the pill. Thankfully after 4 kids my husband had a vasectomy so now I can just concentrate on getting the old me back.

edited: I just saw you said there are monthly options for the shot now. If you DO decide to try Depo, deft go for that version that way if at any point you decide it's not worth it you can quit and go for a different method.
  • Crafty_Fraggle
    Crafty_Fraggle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've never had depo so can't weigh in on that but do want to say I know the bc patch is only effective for certain weights. I forget what the range is but do remember that's why I didn't choose it, I've never been in the right range for it. I chose the nuva ring and that's very effective for me. No weight issues from the ring, only what I've done to myself and am having no problems loosing.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I used depo for a long time and back on it after using Mirnea for 7 years...no issues losing weight at all....Yes there are side effects...increases appetite is one, water retention is another....but appetite doesn't equal hunger...and water retention well we all get that without BC anyway...

45561484.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    BC increases your appetite, it doesn't make you eat, you control that.
  • Hrafinhyrr
    Hrafinhyrr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here is my two cents, I see both sides of the issue since I am working on loosing weight, and I was a 10 plus year depo user and I am a nurse. Depo did cause me some weight gain but I was looking for as bullet proof of a way to prevent pregnancy and It worked. At the time I had to stop competitive sports due to work issues and that may have been some of the weight gain issue as well. Hormones will mess with your metabolism. Also some of the pills, patches and rings are not as effective for women who weigh more than 200-250 lbs. Have you suggested to your doctor an IUD?? They have both hormonal and non hormonal versions of it and it is just as effective as depo. Its some thing to look in to as a possible choice. There are doctors who will implant them in women who have never had children, you just have to advocate for your self. I had issues for years trying to convince some of the OB/GYNs I saw to do a tubal ligation on a never pregnant woman as I have never wanted to be a mother. I was finally able to have my tubes tied at age 34 due to having a good doctor who listened to me and what my reasons are and that I had made this decision at 18 and had never changed my mind. A good doctor/ nurse practitioner will listen to their patients and give you the knowledge to help you make the right choices for you. Have you looked in to a diaphragm or cervical cap? They are non hormonal as well. Just some stuff to think about. Also you said the condoms were bothering you. Is it possible you are allergic to Latex or you have a reaction to spermicide?? Try a non latex condom next time or a condom with out spermicide and see if that may be the issue as well? Good Luck to you and keep up the good work you can do it!!! :)
  • Raclex
    Raclex Posts: 238
    Options
    I know everyone says it makes you gain weight because your appetite increases, but that's not true for everyone. Things like Depo and Mirena IUD work because they trick your body into thinking it's pregnant, is how my doctor described it. So you are going to bloat like you are pregnant, etc. When I took it after losing my baby weight, and not changing my eating habit at all I gained 30 lbs back on Depo. The same thing happened when I had Mirena over 10 years later. 30 lbs without changing eating habits. Both messed up my body hormonally and my menstral cycles were whack. I wouldn't recommend either to my worst enemy. But every body is different with how they react to things. I never gain weight on oral contraception *the pill* but Depo and Mirena I do..

Oh, I SO understand! I was on Mirena, and granted, I bloated like crazy (I ballooned with water to 8-9 pounds) but that wasn't as bad as the suicidal thoughts, mood swings, spotting and painful cramps that came along with it... I was in a chronic state of 'urgh'. I would do LOADS of research and ask questions as it is not always well explained. It was out approx. 3 weeks after I had it put in place. NEVER again.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat and continue to exercise. No need to waste money on any "supplements" for your metabolism.
    Just remember to log honestly and accurately. I was on the depo shot for 9 months and I lost weight. I stopped because, unlike most women, I still got my period. In fact, I had a light period a majority of the time. It was ridiculous. I now have the Mirena, and I don't mind it. Try out the depo, if you don't like it you can always try something else.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm on Depo Provera and I didn't gain any weight when I started it. I have put on about 6 lbs in the last year, but that is due to poor eating and lack of exercise. Weight gain was a fear I had when I started it, but it was worth it to not have pain due to endometriosis.