Body Fat % - help?

Options
2»

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Kindeo wrote: »
    I guess my thinking is... even if it's wrong, wouldn't it still reduce to a lower wrong number if I lost fat?

Yes it would. At least is has for me. When I started using a bioimpedance scale about a year and a half ago it measured around 22% bodyfat. The number has come down to about 11% now, and the trend has been pretty consistent. That doesn't mean my bodyfat is actually 11%, but I'm pretty confident saying it's about half of what it was when I started measuring.

For more accurate estimates you can use a set of calipers. This is the set I've been using. It's pretty inexpensive: http://www.amazon.com/Accu-Measure-Fitness-3000-Personal-Tester/dp/B000G7YW74/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1413577813&sr=8-1&keywords=body+fat+caliper

And this makes taking tape measurements pretty easy. It too is fairly cheap: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CENXCS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still use my bioimpedance scale daily. I also take readings every Saturday morning using the calipers and tape measure. As far as I can tell, the bioimpedance scale gives me BF readings about 3% to 4% less than what they should be. But the readings are consistently low, so again, I think they're useful for spotting trends.

One last thing: Get a new trainer. A new dieter might start off losing 2% bodyfat for the first couple months, but you're maintaining weight while trying to build muscle and strength. The process is going to be much slower than that. 2% per month is unrealistic.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I hadn't really thought about that, thanks Jim! I guess maybe at this point I shouldn't worry too much about it. Measurements are getting better, clothes are getting better and I can definitely lift/do more than before.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    Recomp is really slow. I've been lifting for just over a year now and maintaining about the same weight. In March, 2014 I had a BodPod test done and came in at 18.9% body fat. I just had the same test last week and came in this time at 16% body fat. So over the course of 7 months I lost just a few % body fat.

This is lifting heavy too (currently I'm squatting 1.2x body weight) 5-6x/week. I also calorie cycle, but I'm not sure if this helps or not.

How are you measuring body fat, btw? If it's your scale at home, I don't think those are accurate in the least. Measurements, calipers, or if you have access to a BodPod (or DEXA or Hydro) will give you a better picture. Just keep in mind it's super slow. Pictures also help. I can really see the difference in my body after a year of lifting.

Wow, very impressive! I can't squat that much, I just started semi-recently so I won't be attempting that anytime soon either. :)

I'm using the hand held thing they have at the gym. Not sure what it's called. Thanks for the info about the slow pace - helps put things in perspective. Trainer said I should be going down 2% or so each month.

the hand held thing is wayyyyyyyy off …

maybe take some pictures and then compare them on line to females of a similar body fat %..

there used to be a body fat estimation thread on there, but I am not sure if it is still going..

also, this may sound counter intuitive but you may need to eat at a slight surplus to add some muscle on and then do a cut to get rid of any fat…
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Ahhh! People keep saying (friends, trainer Nd here) that but it freaks me out and I just can't wrap my brain around purposely getting fat to just have to diet again later.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    A lot of the female powerlifters and Crossfitters I know have had a lot of success (myself included) have had a lot of success using the Eat to Perform program for recomp. I don't have an accurate BF measurement, just an inaccurate one, but my inaccurate one says I've lost 8-10% BF between January and now. My pants size has also gone down and my lifts have gone up. I know I don't have an accurate measurement but remark on my transformation daily and it shows in photos; people stop me on the street and recently people have started referring to me as a bodybuilder, which I'm very much not. So, it must be doing something, whether I have the exact #'s or not. I weigh within1-2 pounds of when I started the program.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Wow that's awesome Kelly!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I have one of those "BF scales" that you stand on and is supposed to measure your body fat through the electrical impedance through your feet.
    I've lost over 20 lbs and 2 dress sizes, but the BF reading on it has not changed ONE. BIT.
    So, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not accurate.
  • jim180155
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    I have one of those "BF scales" that you stand on and is supposed to measure your body fat through the electrical impedance through your feet.
    I've lost over 20 lbs and 2 dress sizes, but the BF reading on it has not changed ONE. BIT.

When you lose weight you ordinarily will lose lean body mass along with fat. Part of that lean body mass is muscle, but it's also comprised of bone, connective tissue, internal organs, skin, and everything else that is not fat. In order to minimize loss of muscle mass while dieting, resistance exercise is important. If you lift weights (or bodyweight exercise) you will lose less muscle, but you'll still lose some. It's possible to lose 20 pounds and to get smaller overall without ever changing your body composition or bodyfat percentage.

If you were lifting weights while losing that 20 pounds, then I think your scale is suspect. If you weren't, your scale is not necessarily to blame for your lack of body comp improvement.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    If your trainer is checking your body fat with an electronic body fat measuring device, GET A NEW TRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go somewhere that will measure with calipers or via hydro. The electronic measuring devices are notoriously in acurate. Have someone do a 3 pinch and a 4 pinch measure.

+1

When I switched gyms, as part of a new member I received a 'free health assessment' who did use the electronic body fat measuring device.

At 97lbs the guy told me that I had 30% body fat! My initial thought was 'O-M-G - I'm fat!' He also heavily pitched that I NEED to add muscle because as we age we lose & what I'm doing now will not sustain .... blah blah blah I chalked it up as a typical hard sales pitch to sign up w/a trainer & just TOTALLY disregarded the experience in its entirety & carried on.

I also recently started some regular weight baring exercises & I'm started to see some muscle definitions that I have only seen on others. :# This is probably the healthiest & best physical shape I have been in my entire life! SO for me, I'm just not going to put too much stock in the whole body fat thing unless my clothes starts to get tight & the scale starts to creep up.

You look great btw - Good luck!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    husseycd wrote: »
    Recomp is really slow. I've been lifting for just over a year now and maintaining about the same weight. In March, 2014 I had a BodPod test done and came in at 18.9% body fat. I just had the same test last week and came in this time at 16% body fat. So over the course of 7 months I lost just a few % body fat.

This is lifting heavy too (currently I'm squatting 1.2x body weight) 5-6x/week. I also calorie cycle, but I'm not sure if this helps or not.

How are you measuring body fat, btw? If it's your scale at home, I don't think those are accurate in the least. Measurements, calipers, or if you have access to a BodPod (or DEXA or Hydro) will give you a better picture. Just keep in mind it's super slow. Pictures also help. I can really see the difference in my body after a year of lifting.

Impressive and extremely discouraging :o

My gym has the bodpod too. I stopped going to those appointments when I lost 3 pounds, inches all over and the thing told me I had gained 0.5% body fat, and the nurse was insisting that it was accurate.

Calipers are nice and all except when you have loose skin, then it's just as useless.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I changed my calorie intake to maintenance about 4 months ago. In that time I've started weight lifting (3 months ago) and increased my cardio from what I was doing (1 month ago).

Good news: I'm maintaining my weight perfectly. Scale is always +/- half a pound. So that's good.
    Bad news: Body fat % has also stayed the same for the past 4 months. Wouldn't the increase in exercise change that? I can't figure it out. Anyone else have experience with this? Any advice is appreciated. :)

Being that you are eating at maintenance, the process in which you speak of is a very slow process....

Keep doing your lifting, progressive over load.
    And maybe try dropping calories about 200 calories/ day.
    So you have a slight deficit.
    If you are wanting BF% to go down.

Otherwise, you are doing a recomp.....and honestly that is a very slow process, so just be aware of that....
    I am thinking on the order of 10 - 12 months
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    I changed my calorie intake to maintenance about 4 months ago. In that time I've started weight lifting (3 months ago) and increased my cardio from what I was doing (1 month ago).

Good news: I'm maintaining my weight perfectly. Scale is always +/- half a pound. So that's good.
    Bad news: Body fat % has also stayed the same for the past 4 months. Wouldn't the increase in exercise change that? I can't figure it out. Anyone else have experience with this? Any advice is appreciated. :)

Being that you are eating at maintenance, the process in which you speak of is a very slow process....

Keep doing your lifting, progressive over load.
    And maybe try dropping calories about 200 calories/ day.
    So you have a slight deficit.
    If you are wanting BF% to go down.

Otherwise, you are doing a recomp.....and honestly that is a very slow process, so just be aware of that....
    I am thinking on the order of 10 - 12 months

Agreed. It's even harder for women. What you are wanting is to gain a little bit of muscle and lose a little bit of fat. Gaining muscle for women is VERY slow and hard, especially if you are not eating at a surplus.

Or, opposite to what Max suggest you could go on a surplus to gain muscle first, then cut body fat later to end up back at this exact weight but with hopefully lower body fat percentage.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If your trainer is checking your body fat with an electronic body fat measuring device, GET A NEW TRAINER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go somewhere that will measure with calipers or via hydro. The electronic measuring devices are notoriously in acurate. Have someone do a 3 pinch and a 4 pinch measure.

+1

When I switched gyms, as part of a new member I received a 'free health assessment' who did use the electronic body fat measuring device.

At 97lbs the guy told me that I had 30% body fat! My initial thought was 'O-M-G - I'm fat!' He also heavily pitched that I NEED to add muscle because as we age we lose & what I'm doing now will not sustain .... blah blah blah I chalked it up as a typical hard sales pitch to sign up w/a trainer & just TOTALLY disregarded the experience in its entirety & carried on.

I also recently started some regular weight baring exercises & I'm started to see some muscle definitions that I have only seen on others. :# This is probably the healthiest & best physical shape I have been in my entire life! SO for me, I'm just not going to put too much stock in the whole body fat thing unless my clothes starts to get tight & the scale starts to creep up.

You look great btw - Good luck!

OMG! 30% body fat at 97lb? Unless you are/have been extremely ill and laid up for a long period I'd says that is utterly bonkers! I fluctuate a bit between 96 and 98lb so I'm very similar in weight to you. Even though you are a bit older than me that measurement has to be WAY off as I'm apparently more like 16-17% at the moment.

Thank goodness you had the sense to disregard that whole conversation! I do find it worrying though that there are people out there without the knowledge and perhaps lacking self esteem who may have read that conversation as "you're too fat" and to start dieting at 97lb!

To the OP - recomp is really slow work. It's totally worth it, and as your body fat drops each 0.5% becomes more and more noticeable than the 0.5% before as you start seeing muscles popping through. You really need to do a combination of eyeballing (so take photos so you can compare your progress factually rather than from memory) and taking body measurements. I've been lifting with a barbell for less than a year and my thighs, as an example, have gone from 18.5 inches to 17 inches in that time. That was something I would never have guessed had happened without the measurements.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »

When you lose weight you ordinarily will lose lean body mass along with fat. Part of that lean body mass is muscle, but it's also comprised of bone, connective tissue, internal organs, skin, and everything else that is not fat. In order to minimize loss of muscle mass while dieting, resistance exercise is important. If you lift weights (or bodyweight exercise) you will lose less muscle, but you'll still lose some. It's possible to lose 20 pounds and to get smaller overall without ever changing your body composition or bodyfat percentage.

If you were lifting weights while losing that 20 pounds, then I think your scale is suspect. If you weren't, your scale is not necessarily to blame for your lack of body comp improvement.

If you say so, dood.... *smh*
  • fatcity66
    Options
    And yes, I did cardio and strength training, but nothing intense.
  • jim180155
    Options
    "Nothing intense" could mean anything, but it probably means that there wasn't enough intensity to grow or maintain muscle mass while eating at a deficit. And nutrition is important. Muscles and other tissues require protein to repair, maintain, and build themselves. Most experts recommend 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass as a minimum, with some going as high as 1.2 grams per pound of total body weight.

If you want to maintain or increase muscle mass, you have to overload your muscles, which produces micro tears. You have to rest, which is when repairs and growth happen. And you have to feed your muscles to fuel that repair.

Or you could just blame the scale. It doesn't get you results, but it's easier.
  • iriskarelse
    Options
    Had the same problem. Was training my butt off but my BF increased. I went to see a nutritionist, she advised me to load up on proteïn and take a little less carbs. Right after I lost almost 6% in 2 months. It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you aswell! Good luck kindeo.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem. Was training my butt off but my BF increased. I went to see a nutritionist, she advised me to load up on proteïn and take a little less carbs. Right after I lost almost 6% in 2 months. It worked for me, maybe it'll work for you aswell! Good luck kindeo.

I would hate for that to happen. Train to get more fat. Glad you figure out what was happening.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    "Nothing intense" could mean anything, but it probably means that there wasn't enough intensity to grow or maintain muscle mass while eating at a deficit. And nutrition is important. Muscles and other tissues require protein to repair, maintain, and build themselves. Most experts recommend 0.8 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass as a minimum, with some going as high as 1.2 grams per pound of total body weight.

If you want to maintain or increase muscle mass, you have to overload your muscles, which produces micro tears. You have to rest, which is when repairs and growth happen. And you have to feed your muscles to fuel that repair.

Or you could just blame the scale. It doesn't get you results, but it's easier.

Or, I could just not listen to random people on a message board.

Yep, think I'll go with option C.

• mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Get ready for the naysayers to jump in and take over this thread, but a low carb high fat diet is a great way to lose fat while maintaining muscle which over time lowers your body fat percentage. You don't have to go into ketosis (unless you want to), but just staying between 50-100 grams per day of carbs can give you some results you'll notice in the mirror in just a few weeks. Don't waste your limited carbs on sugar, though, since you need fiber and it isn't hard to hit your carb limit on fruit and vegetables alone. Get enough protein, but not much more than a gram per lb of lean mass, and get all your additional calories for the day from fat.

Get some calipers to measure your body fat. They're still not totally accurate, but they still seem to be better than the electronic measuring devices. The plastic ones are around 10 bucks online. You can do a 3 point measurement by yourself or get someone to help and do a more accurate one with 7 measurement points.
    Your best body fat resource, though, is to look at yourself in the mirror and compare your body to the pictures online of people at accurately measured body fat percentages.