I am confused to hell!

Options
I am a member since April, 2014. I started out on 1200 and I am still there. I did lose 28 lbs. in 138 days. That was terrific. I am now at a stand at a still, and have gone up 4 lbs.

I know I am now doing something wrong. People were viewing my diary after I completed for the day. They have been dropping me like crazy. I truly don't understand where I have been making my mistakes. I know I am not buring a ton of calories because exercise is limited.

I would really like someone to explain. I am not trying to be skinny, I just would like to meet my goal and perhaps sart a new one.

I am not a lifter and I am not a runner. This has been a high point for me. Friends are great. I however, took this as a social gathering. I was exposed to some background on some peeps. I guess I am not to treat this as everyday discussions. WOOPS!

I need to get on the same page as others.

Yes, I am serious.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Personally, If I have a friend at 1200 and they are eating at 1200, I'm good with that-BUT, if I notice they are consistently going under that 1200, I want nothing to do with that. Where it is not my business what someone else does, I can't consciously tell them good job or nice day if they are starving themselves. That makes them no longer a good fit for me and we part ways.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What do you weigh? What is your BF(body fat)?
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, so it's hard to say. With only 4lb left to lose on your ticker 1200 seems like a low calorie count
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Looks like you've done well so far but you're closing in on your goal. I would suggest re-evaluating your calories - find your TDEE and subtract a percentage to lose 1/2 lb per week now. You'll probably find that you'll be upping your calorie intake. Stick to lean meats, veggies, some fruit and healthy fats - it will happen! You've done great - congratulations!
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's great that you have lost so much weight and stuck with it! Depending on your exercise level, it's probably time to re-evaluate your calories and most likely increase. You can increase to 1400 and stay there for 1-2 weeks and see how that goes. Hang in there! Feel free to add me and we can work through it more if you like!
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Personally, If I have a friend at 1200 and they are eating at 1200, I'm good with that-BUT, if I notice they are consistently going under that 1200, I want nothing to do with that. Where it is not my business what someone else does, I can't consciously tell them good job or nice day if they are starving themselves. That makes them no longer a good fit for me and we part ways.

^This! I have friends that have 1200 calorie goals and that's their goals....but then I see them eating 1000-1100 and then burning 300ish calories or more and then they're netting WAY too little. I simply can't support that let alone like or encourage that.

Having said that, I don't unfriendly them because in the back of my mind I keep hoping that they'll see in my diary that I am eating 1800-2200 a day and losing an average of 2 lbs a week, all while eating (gasp) pizza and fast food occasionally. I post how happy I am, how much I enjoy my food, how food is not bad IMO.

I encourage in other ways and try to be there for them when they are having a hard day....which, let's face it, eating too little would eventually give someone a hard day.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    you probably have metabolic adaptation from under eating for a year …you have reached a point where you are not going to lose at 1200 ….I would suggest maybe reverse dieting, which would be where you add 50 calories a week for four weeks until you are at 1400 and then stay there for a while and see how things go…

As for the gain - do you own a food scale and weight, log, measure everything?

what is your exercise regimen like?
  • Realtree2429
    Realtree2429 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    *unfriend them (not unfriendly)!
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    muggzie399 can you answer the 3 questions above. It helps to understand where you are to give advice on what to do. Think of it this way, while a flashlight and laser beam both provide light, one provides focus. Do you want to focus on your goal or half a** it?
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    How tall are you? What do you weigh? What is your BF(body fat)?
    I am 5'6", I went from 181 to 153. I am now at 156.

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Have you worked out your bmr & tdee again after your weight loss?

You need to eat more. Eating 1200 calories + exercise is not good.

Food is fuel!

Sounds like people deleted you as your probably over exercising, under eating??

Am I right?????? Or wrong???????????
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I recommend running :)
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Running solves most problems!
  • _Terrapin_
    Options
    According to fat2fitradio.com your BMR is 1,411. At 156 pounds, goal weight of 152, 66 inches, age 60, gender female, and (I assumed) body fat 32% your sedentary caloric intake is 1,735, and lightly active is 1,988. If you go to the site and use the BMR calculator and read the "How many calories should I eat?" it indicates to speed weight loss you can have 200-300 fewer calories based on activity level. So if you do nothing IE--desk job and your intake ought to be 1,735(less 200 calories) this is 1,535.

If you are consuming 1,200 calories with the expectation you'll continue to lose weight this is akin to saying I'm cold and taking wood off the fire. Fuel the body and be patient. An easier way to say this is" EAT DAMMIT and be patient(meaning give 1,535 of accurate logging 2 months) and see if there is a change. You are close to goal and metabolically you need the calories to lose the weight. Yes, increase caloric intake. Next caller. . . .
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I only unfriend people if they support others on or off forum that are abusive/racist/bigots etc, I would never unfriend because they are under 1200 cals.

I would happily take the time to message them and try find out whats going on, and maybe try steer them in a more healthy direction or if that not an option, then try help them stay as healthy as can be on current path.

I met someone online 3 years ago, I was in a very very dark place in my mind back then, and when she said hi to me I told her where to take a running jump.

But she never did, she stuck by me through all the bad times even though we had never met in the real world, and just other day I thanked her, with hand on heart no way would I be here now as stable as I am if not for her kindness.

So yeah sometimes not giving up on someone can be everything to them in time.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OP - your "friends" are close-minded morons. Let them de-friend you; who cares.

Here is the deal, you are a 60 year old female that doesn't exercise. Your BMR is about 1300 calories by calculation, but considering you don't exercise and don't have a physical job, your muscle mass is probably a little lower than normal. Therefore, your BMR may actually be a little lower than that. These are just estimates based on statistical info - not set in stone, personalized numbers.

1200 calories is not that unreasonable for you. 1200 calories of cookies and ice cream is bad, but if you are careful with your nutritional intake, you are fine. You need to make sure you are eating plenty of protein to help retain your muscle mass, though. The "1200 calorie rule" is just based on if people don't pay attention to the nutritional value of their meals. I'm 6' tall, 190 lbs, and carry a decent amount of muscle and when I want to cut quickly, I've been known to drop to 1200ish calories for a week or 10 days - but I'll still get in 200g of protein per day.

Because of your age and amount of muscle mass, you just don't have many calories to work with. You have aggravated this by being on a caloric deficit for a year and not exercising, so your muscle mass has decreased, giving you even less calories to work with. Here is how to fix it - eat at maintenance for a month or two and lift weights, then lose those last few pounds if you need to. I know it isn't what you want to hear, but thats how to fix it. Otherwise you can drop your calories a little bit more, but you will continue to lose muscle mass and you will need to be much more diligent with your nutrition.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    While I know you said you don't run or lift, is there any type of exercise? And do you use a food scale and can you open your food diary. I am leaning to agree with NJD that there is probably some metabolic adaptation at this point and reverse dieting/exercising (more importantly weight training) will benefit you greatly.
  • NOW_is_my_time
    Options

When you're out at the store and someone tells you "have a nice day", do you first ask them if they're eating at least 1200 cals/day before telling them to "have a nice day", as well? Weird.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

When you're out at the store and someone tells you "have a nice day", do you first ask them if they're eating at least 1200 cals/day before telling them to "have a nice day", as well? Weird.

People at the store are NOT someone taking a serious journey with me, nor someone I get to CHOSE to have in my life. If you want to be a cheerleader for someone's eating disorder go ahead, but don't try and make me feel badly for being healthy!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I agree I unfriend people who consistently eat under 1200 as well. I will make suggestions to up their calories first and watch if they do...

If they don't they are not with me on this little "journey" we are on...different perspective on the healthy way of doing it...

As well I have friends who are in recovery and they don't need to see that sort of thing on my wall either...