I've got a goal!

Options
Hi all. I am new to the site, but I am hoping that it will help me on my road to health. My end goal is to be fit enough to complete a half ironman triathlon in April 2015. I need to eat better, lose weight (about 25 lbs) and stay on track with my training. Any support I could get would be greatly appreciated, and returned!!!

Replies

• markustroy
    Options
    That sounds awesome! My dad, last year, started running (he is around 46) and now he can run around 30km. Before he started, he could barely run a mile. Stay dedicated, keep moving forward and I'm sure you will reach your goal!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is start by figuring out your fall and winter program. Design one yourself that includes swimming biking and running. You should be able to do all the distances for each sport that you will do on the day of the race.

Come spring (unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere that allows you to exercise all winter outside) you are definitely going to want to get outside and run, bike and swim out there as often as you can - but with a pattern that allows you to track your progress.

Practice transitioning from bike to running. Practice your speedwork and pacing yourself in all three. If you can find a few open water swim races in your area in the spring, put on your wetsuit and use it as an official practice to find out your time on that distance.

Have the equipment and the locations to train through the winter, maybe include some weight training and then in the spring, hit the outdoors and practice training in conditions similar to the one you are doing on race day.

If you live in a warmer area, I would suggest perhaps doing an olympic length race beforehand, if you can find one. Triathlon season is winding down right now and wont really start up again til the spring.

Have you found a half ironman in April somewhere? How many triathlons have you done? Is this the first time you will do this distance?
  • jenfarm
    jenfarm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have completed many sprint tris and one olympic. I will do another olympic a few weeks before the 1/2 ironman in Galveston TX on April 26th. I am lucky in that I have everything I need for training, including an awesome coach. I just appreciate the moral support! Thank you:)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    awesome! Dont forget that the distances for Olympic more than double on the run and the bike for a Half Ironman!!!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    good luck. i found my best resource was my local triathlon club. lots of people to get information.
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    markustroy wrote: »
    That sounds awesome! My dad, last year, started running (he is around 46) and now he can run around 30km. Before he started, he could barely run a mile. Stay dedicated, keep moving forward and I'm sure you will reach your goal!

Congrats to your dad! As a former runner, I know how much dedication that takes. I'm hoping to get back to my former abilities again myself.

jenfarm wrote: »
    Hi all. I am new to the site, but I am hoping that it will help me on my road to health. My end goal is to be fit enough to complete a half ironman triathlon in April 2015. I need to eat better, lose weight (about 25 lbs) and stay on track with my training. Any support I could get would be greatly appreciated, and returned!!!

Wonderful goal! This is definitely a great network of support. Check the message boards, and befriend those with similar goals. That's the best advice I can give you. And good luck!