Can I do it in 2 months?

Options
machaoc9222
machaoc9222 Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi!
I'm 5"3 and weigh 135 lbs and I need to lose approximately 20 lbs. I've started eating really healthy with a calorie deficit and I now exercise 5-6 times a week (cardio and strength training). This is not a crash diet I know that if I want to lose weight and maintain it I have to make permanent changes. So my question is: can I get significant results in 2 months?
This is my body right now:2aygqvmewhg9.jpg

now.jpg 119.9K

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Probably... you'll have to try it and see...
  • chewnadaa
    Options
    Hi! I wan to lose about 20 pounds too! Mind being my weight loss buddy? I hope I can see some results in 2months or so
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    You probably could but that would amount to about 2.5 lbs per week which most dieticians would say is not a healthy amount to lose in such a short period of time, that is unless you are obese but you definitely don't look anywhere near obese. Be careful as too much of a deficit might send your body into starvation mode. The weight will continue to come off but your metabolism will slow and so will the weight loss. The first 5 or so pounds should come off like magic because a lot of the weight you'll initially lose will be water weight. Strength training will slow the weight loss in the beginning because the muscles will flood with water and collagen for repair. As you don't seem really overweight from your photo, the first ten might not be a problem but the last ten may be a struggle once you get closer to your ideal body fat percentage. I'm curious as to why you "need" to lose 20 pounds in such a short amount of time instead of just making a lifestyle change?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    20 lbs in 2 months (8 weeks) for someone who is not overweight? No. You cannot do that without a higher-than-recommended deficit/

With only 20 lbs to lose, you should aim for .5-1 lb loss per week. When you have less than 15 lbs to go, you should aim for .5 lbs lost per week.

20 lbs in 2 months is losing 2.5 lbs per week. In order to lose that much, you would really have to be starting this in the obese/morbidly obese range.
  • GulfcoastAL
    GulfcoastAL Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Similar situation to you-but I started at 140 lbs and 5'4". I'm older so slower metabolism. I generally don't eat back my exercise calories unless I am hungry. I eat around 6small meals with protein so I am really not hungry often! I lost 7.8 pounds in 30 days. I exercised around 5-6 days a week, usually 40-60 minutes. I am thinking the closer I get to goal, my weight loss will slow down. I'm thrilled with even the small loss I've had and can see the toning, muscles.
    The friends on MFP really are motivating! Mostly with their diary ideas and exercising.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Continue your strength training and aim for 0.5-1 pound a week loss. And your body will definitely change in two months. You may not hit your "goal weight" but you will become much more toned, and look thinner because you replaced fat with muscle. Take measurements, BMI and Body Fat % to confirm the changes you made.

Good luck!
  • chewnadaa
    Options
    Hi! I wan to lose about 20 pounds too! Mind being my weight loss buddy? I hope I can see some results in 2months or so
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    you absolutely can ive done 30 day shred and in 30 days my body is more defined I didn't lose a whole lot of weight but inches yes
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5' 2 " and started 8/17/14 at 143 lbs. and weighed in at 130.5 2 days ago, so a 12.5 lbs. loss in ~9 weeks. You sound more dedicated than I am (have yet to add weight training and often go over my set calorie limit), so I wouldn't doubt you will see a nice change in a 2 month timeframe.

When I started I lost nothing the 1st week. I recently changed my goal from 125 lbs. (my best steady weight 5 years ago) to 120 lbs. because things are going better than expected using MFP, making more healthy food and drink choices, and moving more. Before I got started, I was not watching my calories at all and drank A LOT of alcohol and soda. Getting to 143 lbs. was pretty damn scary and I was experiencing chest/heart pains for a couple of months there to boot. No bueno.

I keep my diary open, log daily, try to interact as often as possible, and maintain a positive attitude. Feel free to add me (anyone else can as well). :smiley:
  • machaoc9222
    Options
    chewnadaa wrote: »

Sure!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Define "significant." No, you can't lose 20 pounds in 8 weeks at your stats. You could lose 4-8 pounds in that amount of time.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Can you see a difference in 2 months? Absolutely
    Can you lose 20 lbs in 2 months when you're so close to your goal? Maybe
    Would losing that quickly be healthy? Nope
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't see what 20 pounds you have to lose. 10 maybe... am I missing something?

But yeah... small deficit.
  • tindeyy
    tindeyy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is suggested, 2 lbs a week is do-able with a really strict routine or if you're significantly over weight. I'd say 20 weeks is probably a more reasonable time estimate.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm 5"3 and weigh 135 lbs and I need to lose approximately 20 lbs. I've started eating really healthy with a calorie deficit and I now exercise 5-6 times a week (cardio and strength training). This is not a crash diet I know that if I want to lose weight and maintain it I have to make permanent changes. So my question is: can I get significant results in 2 months?
    This is my body right now:2aygqvmewhg9.jpg

If you continue your fitness program 5-6 days per week like you stated, I think you'll see more reduction in inches, rather than a full 20 pound weight loss. If you set your goal for 1 pound weight loss per week (500 calorie per day deficit) and exercise like crazy you'll see great results in that time period.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I am guessing that it would be quite difficult to lose the whole 20 pounds in that timeframe, but if you keep up the workouts there will be noticeable differences in your thighs/abs/arms.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    give yourself 10-14 weeks!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Some people around here drop weight like crazy. Others (like moi) are really slow. It depends on your metabolism and how crazy you get with exercise.

People your size will have a much harder time dropping twenty pounds than someone who is bigger, so I'm thinking twenty in two months would be really hard.

Good luck.