A sub-1000 calorie diet: Working well so far

2»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    totaltully wrote: »
    Thanks for the inputs guys (and the other stuff the intertubes *will* throw at you :) ). Will just say again - this works for me, have a slow metabolism (my guess is 1800 calories is my BMR.

Will add more protein - right now it is from milk and nuts.

If 1800 is your BMR then that's about where you should be eating. Even if 1800 was your TDEE (highly unlikely) you'd lose a pound per week eating 1300.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Debbjones wrote: »
    I think you are going to get a lot of "hater" replies with this post...

That said, your approach worked for me and continues to work. I started at 194 (but I am 5'3.5") and I am currently at 104, I was a size 18 (tight) am now a size 0. I started nearly 3 years ago and still use a 1200 daily calorie plan to maintain. More than doubled my energy level since I started and maintain a higher than average energy level to date. I eliminated virtually all sugar from my diet and try to maintain high protein...

Everyone talks starvation mode... I think that varies on the person. Please keep in mind all people are different. I don't weigh and seldom measure my food BECAUSE I AM ON MAINTENANCE. But I do log my food daily and weigh myself often (possibly too often... LOL).

Best of luck in your weight loss journey!

Then you're not eating 1200. Which is good.
  • jke78
    jke78 Posts: 59 Member
    Yeah you can do a diet like that and lose weight, however I can tell you from experience that it isn't worth it. First of all if your body isn't getting the nutrition it needs it will take it not only from your fat stores but also from your muscles and bones(including your teeth). Also you will be putting a strain on your heart which in turn will stress the rest of your system out. Seriously, you are setting yourself up for disaster in the long run. Tomorrow comes faster than you think.

I'm not trying to discourage you from losing weight, but there are better(and more enjoyable) ways of doing so.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    ChrisM8971 wrote: »
    Looks like a fantastic muscle burning diet to me
    ^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    Crash diets remain the fastest way to lose weight, because of how effective they are at burning muscle. They just eat into your lean body mass which stifles your metabolism which can affect your hormone balance...and you gain all the weight right back plus a little more.
    Maybe you should consider MFP recommendations. Just a suggestion...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Thanks for the inputs guys (and the other stuff the intertubes *will* throw at you :) ). Will just say again - this works for me, have a slow metabolism (my guess is 1800 calories is my BMR.

Doing stuff like this is what slows your metabolism down.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member

You're supposed to eat at least your BMR unless on a medically supervised diet.

Also, it's "interwebs", not "intertubes"
  • zampi03
    zampi03 Posts: 8 Member
    Folks

Am 190 lbs @ 5'11 (shooting for 165). Wanted your thoughts on my diet which has worked well when i stick to it - end up losing about 2-3 lbs a week. The idea is to stay under 1000 net calories a day.

Routine:
    - Early am workout (cardio 400-600 cals). Add a post lunch walk for another 125 cals if possible
    - Cup of chai (70 cals) and almonds right after. Chai is great for post work out recovery
    - 5 dried figs (Costco) -> 100 cals
    - A pear for lunch (high in fiber) around noon -> 125 cals
    - Apple for snack (3pm) - > 100 cals
    - Another cup of chai and a light snack -> 150 cals
    - 400-600 calorie dinner.

It is around 6 pm or so that i get net positive calories for the day. My energy is great (for now at least).

The only times i have to manage my hunger pangs is between 4 and 6pm. Everything but dinner is close to natural form.

I want you to track this in MyFitnessPal, and then go to your nutritional reports. Please take a look at the amount of vitamins you're getting.

It is VERY important to get NUTRITION.

Example: A lack of Vitamin B12 can cause potential permanent dementia because your brain uses B12 to rebuild. I found this out the hard way when I went to the doctor because I suddenly felt drunk out of nowhere while at work. (Had the issue after my gallbladder removal)

Many things depend on proper nutrition, so I want you to actually look at your values, and then look into the amount of nutrition you're supposed to be getting each day. If they don't come close, then your body is not going to just lose fat, it is also going to lose muscle, hair, health, hydration, neural connections, complexion, fine motor skill control, etc.

Don't be irresponsible about this. May I please recommend a few resources for you to check out?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/faq#wiki_diet_details
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness
    http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Rules-Lifting-Women/dp/1583333398
    http://www.reddit.com/r/loseit
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited October 2014

That said, your approach worked for me and continues to work. I started at 194 (but I am 5'3.5") and I am currently at 104, I was a size 18 (tight) am now a size 0. I started nearly 3 years ago and still use a 1200 daily calorie plan to maintain. More than doubled my energy level since I started and maintain a higher than average energy level to date. I eliminated virtually all sugar from my diet and try to maintain high protein...

Everyone talks starvation mode... I think that varies on the person. Please keep in mind all people are different. I don't weigh and seldom measure my food BECAUSE I AM ON MAINTENANCE. But I do log my food daily and weigh myself often (possibly too often... LOL).

Out of curiosity, what does your maintenance and bodyfat % look like now?

And you do understand the poster is a male netting/eating less than a 1000 calories, right?

• Have been at it around 6 weeks.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member

I see no haters, but I do see sound advice to a 42 year old male to not NET less than 1,000 calories. It's not sustainable or healthy.

And I won't touch on the fact that you claim 1200 as your 'maintenance' when you lost on that amount, especially if you're not accurately weighing/measuring. I WILL say, that if I had maintain on 1200, I'd be an eternally unhappy person. Or jsf.

I'm a 5'6" female and without extra activity, I can lose on 1500 cals/day. If you can lose at a higher amount, why not do that? It's a much easier, safer, healthier, and more enjoyable way to meet your goals.
  • 603reader wrote: »

Also, it's "interwebs", not "intertubes"

Hey, i like my intertubes - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=intertubes
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    The first problem is that you say you want to lose 2-3 lbs a week. That is too aggressive for the amount of weight you have to lose. You have 25 lbs to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

Take that into your calculations of your deficit.

I'm 5'11 and female and I've lost 50 lbs (215 down to 165) on net 1450-1600 a day. I actually ate closer to 1600-1700 and worked off the extra calories with exercise. I used a food scale to weigh all of my food and was never hungry. I've incorporated cardio and lifting to increase endurance and retain lean muscle.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Every doctor, nutritionist, and personal trainer I have met recommends males over 1k net calories a day (females are 1,200). So personally I would recommend consulting with one of them and looking at slower weight loss to avoid crashing and burning. But everyone is entitled to handle their body how they desire.

I have no idea how you burn 400-600 calories and only take in 70 calories after that. After my morning workouts my body is burning fuel and craving a solid 400 calorie breakfast. So perhaps move some of your dinner calories to breakfast to help avoid the afternoon hunger pains and increase energy prior to 6pm.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Pretty amazing how the OP has 7 spam flags and 8 abuse flags and it's still open. Lol.

It took hours yesterday to get a thread started by a 13 year old girl on the path to an eating disorder shut down so I'm not surprised by this at all.

• Guys - thanks. Am taking a relook at this, meeting my doc later today and will discuss with him. Peace out (easy with the flagging though :) )