Weight Loss Goal!!! Is It Possible???

Options
Hello,

I am new to this page and I have a set goal for myself. My overall goal is to be 160-165 Pounds. Currently I am 23 years old weighing about 207 Pounds and my goal was to lose 40 pounds before new years. I was wondering if this goal was something that could be accomplished and if there are any recommendations that you would give me?

Replies

• M3Kindschi
    M3Kindschi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why the deadline? Why not just set a goal of losing the weight in order to improve your life and then achieving it....without the stress of a looming cut off date?
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bit more than that in just over a year. I think yours is a pretty aggressive goal. My recommendation would be to set your MFP goals up for a solid 1 lb a week loss and work the plan consistently and patiently. Losing too quickly can sometimes set you up to be unable to keep it off afterward, because you haven't learned long-term sustainable habits.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    think long term one day at a time. Welcome and best wishes on your WOE.
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    40 lbs is a lot - how will you do this goal? It might be do-able, but it will be a lot of work...
    -
    - and a bit rushed, and probably includes a bit of suffering over the 'drastic' intensity of such a quick plan.
    -
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I would say that no, that is not healthy to try to lose 40 pounds before New Years. That would be 4 pounds per week and the recommended weight loss is about 1.5-2 pounds per week and probably less as you get closer to your goal- more like .5-1 pound per week. I agree- slow and steady. It would put you at a very serious calorie deficit to try to lose it that fast and that's not sustainable or healthy and you would most likely gain it all back. Good luck to you and try to set a more reasonable goal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why set such an aggressive goal? Better to maybe aim for 2 lbs/week and be consistent. You'll feel much better at the end of the year if you just achieve that, with more ability to stick with it until you are finished, IMO. Trying to do something extreme is likely to result in burn out (or not feeling good) and rebounding.

You are young, so 2 months seems like a long time, probably, but 6 months or a year goes by before you know it and what will matter then is not how fast you did it, but that you got started with something sustainable and healthy.
  • stonegirldancing42
    stonegirldancing42 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    M3Kindschi wrote: »
    Slow and steady wins the race!

I agree.

You can take it from me, too. I'm 32 now and when I was 23, I lost 50lbs *quick*. But, because I didn't do it steadily, it gained back quick too.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That's 4 pounds a week for 10 weeks straight. Any nutritionist, doctor or personal trainer I have ever talked to would highly advise against that type of goal. You'd have to have a 14,000 calorie deficit per week through exercise and nutrition to achieve it.

Try to develop a healthy weight loss plan that includes nutrition and exercise and is doable for you. Most people find that -1lb a week works well to keep weight off and still have a life. Others can do more or less.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 40 lbs. (June 2013 to June 2014). But, because of the way I did it -- slow and steady, gradually changing my eating habits and getting into the habit of exercising -- I've kept the weight off and I know I will continue to keep the weight off! I also feel much, much healthier than I did at the beginning of last year. :-)

• radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    DON'T do that to yourself! Lose the 40 pounds, yes, but don't rush it. If you lose slowly, you're way more likely to keep it off, which is what you want. The last thing you want is to enter a yo-yo cycle, which is what happened to me and I'm trying to break it.

Deciding to lose 1-2 pounds a week is totally doable and reasonable. You won't need to starve yourself and you're more likely to create good habits that last a lifetime rather than just using a quick fix. Please trust me on this.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm 23 and I lost 30ish lbs over 6ish months (2 gym trips a week and 1400-1700 cals a day). Your goal is too short term - not only will you put it all back on again but you will be pretty miserable eating that little (as well as feeling all weak etc from not eating enough). Honestly - everyone will see the difference by Christmas if you lose 10-20 lbs. Don't set a deadline - you want to be healthy, not just slim. Good luck and please take it easy with your goals
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Go slowly. It took me a year to lose 45 pounds. I've lost another 17 in the past 10 months. By losing slowly, I've learned to enjoy myself on a healthier quantity of food than I used to eat, and I've thereby set myself up for long-term success with maintenance. If I had done a very low calorie diet, to lose weight quickly, I wouldn't have developed those skills.

34527787.png
  • dtat4l
    dtat4l Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate the feedback. Being new to this whole diet and exercise thing I did not know what the proper and healthy way of losing weight. I think I will change my goals, more so to focus on losing in a healthy way and to take the deadline off.

I really appreciate all of the help.