Is running really the best way to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• check1972
    check1972 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    cw106 wrote: »
    Your analogy is completely flawed. You put on weight because you ate too much. This is not the fault of running. If you ate similar levels on any other activity, then the same rule would apply.

So your HIIT would be completely useless for weight loss, if it came with a 20" cheese pizza side order.....

Name me 5 other exercises that you could realistically do and burn between 800-100 calories in an hour.....

1 swimming
    2 elliptical
    3 squash
    4 rowing machine
    5 stationary bike

all 5 have netted me 1000+ calorie burns per hour on my 50lbs weight loss journey.

Meanwhile, back on planet Earth......

Those are legitimate activities for burning a large number of calories. Calories burned has to do with both the body composition of the person doing the work and INTENSITY. It really isn't fair to dismiss it unless you have the facts related to the workout.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    If we're having a conversation about the benefits of running alone vs. the benefits of running along with strength training, I'm right there with you. But lets make the conversation about that, not about how HIIT > running.
    [/quote]

Yes, I think I might have phrased a few things wrong because that is exactly what I meant! I still run (I enjoy it very much), I still have aquafit classes. I do HIIT 3 to 5 times a week (depending on my motivation lol).

I was trying to see if I could edit my original post but can't find how... Anyway, at least people who haven't heard about HIIT will! And if I made them curious, my goal is achieved!
  • melduf
    Options
    digginDeep wrote: »
    melduf wrote: »
    Your analogy is completely flawed. You put on weight because you ate too much. This is not the fault of running. If you ate similar levels on any other activity, then the same rule would apply.

So your HIIT would be completely useless for weight loss, if it came with a 20" cheese pizza side order.....

Name me 5 other exercises that you could realistically do and burn between 800-100 calories in an hour.....

Like I said in the post, I was tracking my calories. I was eating 1500 calories a day (I'm 5'1'' and 27 years old) I was measuring mostly but weighing some of my food. I log EVERYTHING. So I'm confident to say my diary is acurate. And I've never had a 20'' cheese pizza in my life... side or main dish!

No, a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. You can run, or do any other type of exercise, and remain fat.
    Women in general have more endurance

I am curious what the thinking is behind this... I can honestly say I have never heard this particularly premise suggested before.

As for endurance, that is mostly from experience. Out-of-shape-me and some friends went roller blading a few years ago. The girls didn't go as fast but we lasted longer then the boys! And I saw the same thing on other occasions like hiking.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Weight control is about energy balance...exercise simply increases your energy requisites.

I'm in maintenance and I cycle around 100 miles per week...I simply consume enough energy to maintain my weight at that activity level and as per my stats...if I was trying to lose weight I would simply eat a little less; I wouldn't do anything differently exercise wise.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Like I said in the post, I was tracking my calories. I was eating 1500 calories a day (I'm 5'1'' and 27 years old) I was measuring mostly but weighing some of my food. I log EVERYTHING. So I'm confident to say my diary is acurate. And I've never had a 20'' cheese pizza in my life... side or main dish!

No, a calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. You can run, or do any other type of exercise, and remain fat.

I am curious what the thinking is behind this... I can honestly say I have never heard this particularly premise suggested before.

As for endurance, that is mostly from experience. Out-of-shape-me and some friends went roller blading a few years ago. The girls didn't go as fast but we lasted longer then the boys! And I saw the same thing on other occasions like hiking.
    I am not sure if your correlation is accurate. If I do something like running, since we're already talking about it, I get tired sooner if I go faster. For example, I've always run and walked in intervals and I'm working on increasing the running interval. I'm also not a fast runner. As I've played with my intervals recently I've discovered that if I run at a steady 6.3 MPH pace, I'm ready for a walk break after about 6 minutes or so. If I run at 5.5 MPH, I can go for about 15 minutes before needing a walk break.

If your male friends are going faster and burning themselves out more quickly that doesn't mean their endurance is less than your female friends. It just means your female friends are better at pacing themselves. :)
  • arhoney
    arhoney Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to Neila Rey! I'm going to try it. I don't see anything wrong HIIT and/or running as long as its beneficial to you either by fitness level or weight loss. It truly depends on your personal goals.

I'm all for finding what works and working it!
  • ryclark501
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    A lot of HIIT programs give you visible results because they incorporate not only the cardio you need to get into a deficit, but usually also body-weight stuff like squats, push-ups, etc so you are killing two birds with one stone. Two fat birds. Lots of exercises burn lots of calories, I'm in agreement anything with weight bearing exercises gets quicker more exciting results. Even if the weight is just you.

I agree with Jennloella, A lot more exciting results. Cardio is going to burn calories while your doing it, while not making for any strength changes and helping keep your curves or promote them. Strength training is going to burn fewer calories while working out but you will be burning more after the work out is finished. Plus the more muscle you have the higher your resting metabolic rate will be, which in the end will help you keep it off. I hate cardio but I do it cause it teaches your body how to use oxygen as energy, ex. If something is chasing me that I feel I need to run from, my body will be fully versed in keeping endurance up..

This is my opinion, But... Do what you like to do and it will be easier to stay consistent,and that's key. After all moving in any direction is better than standing still..
  • melduf
    Options

Interesting. I guess you never know. But I watch a lot of marathons, and a woman has never won one of the elite ones- NYC, London, Chicago, Olympics, etc.

I didn't say women were better than men!! Training has a lot to do with the results! But naturally, women are bound to have endurance (and that does not mean going faster, only longer) otherwise, we wouldn't survice 12 hours of labor to give birth. But let's not start a debate about that. I have nothing to support my point, only what I've witnessed with normal (non-athlete) people.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I think I had my calorie deficit!

You've said it yourself, you were gaining weight, therefore you weren't in calorie deficit.

If your measurement of intake was accurate then your measurement of output was inaccurate.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Anyway, at least people who haven't heard about HIIT will!

Given the religious fanaticism about it on this site, I'd be very surprised...

That said, most of the people who bang on about it on this board, really don't seem to be doing HIIT.

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Running 3 times a week, having aquafit class once a week, eating 1500 cals a day... I think I had my calorie deficit! It just wasn't giving me results.

How were you determing the calories burned during your runs?
  • medlaura
    medlaura Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I run 2-3 miles a day, 4 times a week. Burn about 300-350 calories per run. I eat about 1300 a day (I dont really count my calories)and i am losing weight. So far i've lost 15 pounds in 2 months and it is all thanks to running and portion control. :smile:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

That said, most of the people who band on about it on this board, really don't seem to be doing HIIT.

[/quote]

QFT. Most of the people I see talking about doing HIIT aren't actually doing HIIT.
  • tdecel
    tdecel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a regular bike and gym guy, but I also sit on my rear end all day in front of a computer, sometimes 12 to 14 hours a day. My weight is never the same for too long. When I work out regularly my weight goes down. When I don't, it goes up. I can go up or down 5 to 10 lbs in a couple of months.

I lost the most weight by playing intense racquetball 3 times a week (9 lbs in 4 weeks) in the middle of the holidays last December.
  • melduf
    Options

Interesting. I guess you never know. But I watch a lot of marathons, and a woman has never won one of the elite ones- NYC, London, Chicago, Olympics, etc.

I didn't say women were better than men!! Training has a lot to do with the results! [/b]But naturally, women are bound to have endurance (and that does not mean going faster, only longer) otherwise, we wouldn't survice 12 hours of labor to give birth. But let's not start a debate about that. I have nothing to support my point, only what I've witnessed with normal (non-athlete) people.

This is just amazing forum gold. You win the internets.

Do you lurk around the forum to make people miserable on purpose or are you just that unpleasant?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I didn't say women were better than men!! Training has a lot to do with the results! But naturally, women are bound to have endurance (and that does not mean going faster, only longer) otherwise, we wouldn't survice 12 hours of labor to give birth. But let's not start a debate about that. I have nothing to support my point, only what I've witnessed with normal (non-athlete) people.

Then perhaps you should avoid generalized statements as if they were proven. Just saying...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

That said, most of the people who bang on about it on this board, really don't seem to be doing HIIT.

I've done a HIIT including Tabata protocols (yes throwing up is not always optional!), but I've never actually done HIIT for weight loss but rather other benefits for training my body.
    I don't think they are better for fat loss than running, but they do have a lot of benefits. Caveat, I haven't done Tabata protocols in a few years but I still do some HIIT protocols as part of a running program since they help train aerobic and lactate thresholds.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I run because I'm addicted to the runner's high.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Running a calorie deficit will help you lose weight.
  • RunningMyPugandPapi
    Options
    Running may not be the "best" way to lose weight, but it is the best way for ME to lose weight. Because I love running. If HIIT works that way for you, that's awesome, stick with that.