The lazy dieter

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    If you like to cook, I'd say keep cooking! It's okay to not be 100% exact, it should average out over time. Just do the best you can reasonably. When I cook I measure each ingredient as I put it in. I generally like simple recipes so usually don't use a ton of ingredients which helps. I have a plate for my veggies which I pile with whatever veggies using the tare function to get their weights. I usually weigh the oil or butter in the pan before I start cooking. When complete I weigh the contents of the food (in my tupperware). I try to get as much as the oil off the pan and into the tupperware. Then I decide on portions and divide the overall weight by the number of portions. So then I can portion out a roughly equivalent amount each time. It's really not that hard, and worth it to eat the way I want to eat. I probably end up overestimating the calories a bit due to loss of oil/butter on the pan, but that's OK.
  • hhmb8k
    hhmb8k Posts: 49
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Go research it and tell us.

Also, please, report your success over short and long term with lean cuisine, I'm quite curious. :)

What happened, bro??? I thought you liked my diet. You called it sweet... SWEET! Remember?

et tu, dbmata? et tu?
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    For searing, cast iron pans are awesome. Sometimes I will sear steaks without a drop of additional oil, just get the cast iron pan hot, put the meat on, wait a few minutes until it naturally releases from the bottom of the pan, and flip to see the beautiful searing. <3
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    hhmb8k wrote: »
    Does anybody else switch to processed food from healthy, fresh homecooked meals in order to loose weight or am I even weirder than I thought? Any thoughts on this tactic?

LOL. I mean, you need to do what you need to do, but my family loves it when I am dieting, because I tend to make this amazingly creative, delicious stuff.

I adore cooking and food, and because I get fewer opportunities to eat when dieting, I tend to make what I eat as amazing as I can.

But you should do what works for you.

• hhmb8k
    edited October 2014
    Options
    OK, to be honest, I've ignored most of the sensible responses (and one really funny screwed up one that I'll get to later if I have time) because it really isn't as much fun to poke fun at the intelligent and sensible answers as it is the others.

I do think that you've all given me food for thought, but even for those of you whose answers were pretty practical and sensible (like simple portion control and common sense batch cooking) an important component of "dieting" has nothing to do with weight loss.

OK, OK, I know I just blew some of your minds. Imagine that, somebody who isn't dieting to look better in a swimsuit, kinda weird, huh? Somebody on a diet who isn't morbidly obese? or better yet, somebody on a diet who isn't JUST obese. Other issues like hypertension (think DASH diet) or hyperlipidemia or diabetes demand attention be paid to silly things like salt, fat, and sugar.

Salt, fat, and sugar don't come in the chicken breast (in any appreciable quantity <-- I hate I have to write qualifiers like that for internet nit pickers). It comes from how you PREPARE the chicken breast. This is the foundation of where I'm coming from in my original post about tracking food intake with a barcode being easier than measuring that dash of salt or extra tablespoon of olive oil in the pan.

Nobody who advocates home cooking has even addressed the sodium issue at all except to say that they ignore it or don't care about sodium. Yet the only who person who gave a concrete example about what they imagined was bad about processed food, incorrectly thought that it had too much sodium in it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nobody who advocates home cooking has even addressed the sodium issue at all except to say that they ignore it or don't care about sodium. Yet the only who person who gave a concrete example about what they imagined was bad about processed food, incorrectly thought that it had too much sodium in it.

This seems counterintuitive to me. While you can get processed food that's low sodium, the easiest way to control your sodium if it matters to you is by avoiding processed food and just paying attention to how you prepare it.

I don't care about sodium (because my levels are pretty low anyway, due to eating mostly whole foods) so I don't track that dash of salt when cooking, but if you do care about it cooking yourself and, well, not adding salt would seem an easy way to manage. There are other spices or herbs you can use for flavor that wouldn't pose a health issue. Or log the salt; seems simple.

I'm NOT saying it's bad for you to rely on packaged food if you really prefer to do so (more on that in response to your other post). I'm just saying there's nothing about MFP or logging that should discourage home cooking or using whole foods.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Go research it and tell us.

Also, please, report your success over short and long term with lean cuisine, I'm quite curious. :)

What happened, bro??? I thought you liked my diet. You called it sweet... SWEET! Remember?

et tu, dbmata? et tu?
    I think it's totally perfect for you.

Like I said, report back.
  • sarahrosheen
    sarahrosheen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    sounds like you want to be skinny, not healthy
  • Connie2858
    Connie2858 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I personally feel fresher is better. You know that the food you put in your mouth is not modified in any way or added preservatives are being processed in your body. I like the pre-planning of fresh food. Cooking it ahead of time and storing it for the week.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point, it easier to count the calories in pre-packaged meals, but they get old real quick. I only cook for myself, I cook a full recipe and then freeze what can be frozen or eat the same thing for several days. Last week I wasn't lazy and cooked meals Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights for dinner. Now I have a freezer with three different options in it. Once I have it entered in To MFP, it's not such a hassle anymore. Another thing I do is cook several chicken breasts and make different things with them.

Now, I do occasionally get lazy and go prepackaged or hit the salad bar at the grocery store, but it is not a daily occurrence.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Salt, fat, and sugar don't come in the chicken breast (in any appreciable quantity <-- I hate I have to write qualifiers like that for internet nit pickers). It comes from how you PREPARE the chicken breast. This is the foundation of where I'm coming from in my original post about tracking food intake with a barcode being easier than measuring that dash of salt or extra tablespoon of olive oil in the pan.

Stop putting random dashes of salt in your meals if sodium is an issue for you. Learn how to measure small amounts of salt and log them. With a little bit of effort, your home-cooked meals can be as accurate as what you get in a package. You realize that nutrition information on a package isn't 100% accurate, right?
  • dbmata
    Options
    What is it, those things allow for up to 30% error? or 20%?
  • hhmb8k
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This seems counterintuitive to me. While you can get processed food that's low sodium, the easiest way to control your sodium if it matters to you is by avoiding processed food and just paying attention to how you prepare it.

I don't care about sodium (because my levels are pretty low anyway, due to eating mostly whole foods) so I don't track that dash of salt when cooking, but if you do care about it cooking yourself and, well, not adding salt would seem an easy way to manage. There are other spices or herbs you can use for flavor that wouldn't pose a health issue. Or log the salt; seems simple.

I'm NOT saying it's bad for you to rely on packaged food if you really prefer to do so (more on that in response to your other post). I'm just saying there's nothing about MFP or logging that should discourage home cooking or using whole foods.

Ahh, one of the sensible ones. OK, I'll switch gears and explain what I mean without trying to be silly..

I agree that you can certainly better control your sodium intake by preparing your own food. But, my position was not that people could do it, but rather that they do NOT do it--or rather that the people who make healthy processed foods do a better job of it more often. I had that prejudiced opinion because I am conscious about sodium intake and yet I still find it impossible to keep an accurate measurement much of the time. So, I simply presented the dilemma and asked what other people did to monitor these things. The most frequent response was that everybody else just ignores it altogether.

Example of one real world problem: how do measure the amount of sodium you use to season meat when only a small portion of it actually sticks to the meat? It isn't insignificant when you realize that a dash of salt is about 360 mg of sodium and seasoning a peace of meat takes one heck of alot more than a dash. Think about that for a minute.

So, do you simply stop seasoning all your food with salt when you cook? That is a reasonable theoretical answer, but I would be strongly suspicious that any home cook who told me they did that were either outright lying just to prove a point on an internet diet forum or just really lousy cooks.

I am not as closed minded as I sound. I suppose if enough people adamantly insisted that they don't season their food when they cook, and gave concrete examples of suitable alternatives (like Mrs. Dash brand seasonings for example), and that it WORKED well and their food doesn't taste like decomposing shoe leather, well... OK, I'd be motivated to try home cooking that way instead of just swiping barcodes.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Why, EXACTLY, is it about "processed food" (that is specifically tailored for people who are diet conscious) bad? I'm not talking about frozen pizza and ice cream. I'm talking about... oh, you all already know exactly what I'm talking about.

If you enjoy eating it, go for it.

I was assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that someone who normally cooks and says she likes cooking does not prefer to eat Lean Cuisines or the like, and so think it's somehow an easier way to cut calories. That suggests that (a) it's not as sustainable, since not your ideal way to eat or how you ordinarily do, and (b) that you'd do well learning to modify your cooking to be diet-friendly, since at the end of the process you'll go back to home cooking.

I'm also influenced by the fact that I think Lean Cuisines taste comparatively bad and aren't nearly as filling for the same calories (yes, that's subjective), and that when I cook myself I can tailor the meals to my own goals (getting an adequate variety of fruits and vegetables and the amount of protein I want) and meeting other ideas I have about how to eat (choosing my own ingredients with as much flexibility as possible, ethical ideas about how the animals I eat are raised, etc.). Not saying any of that is something you should care about, however.

Oh, and I'm not angry. I just disagree with the premise that IF you want to or would ordinarily eat home cooked food that it's easier to switch to processed when dieting. To the extent you think that's necessary to log accurately, I think that's wrong.

If you simply prefer to or find it convenient to use packaged meals and like them well enough, again, I have no problem with that. Your choice entirely and I'm sure you can lose weight doing it. I'm definitely not one to say there's any weight-loss-related reason to avoid processed foods. I normally argue the opposite, and certainly eat foods I consider "processed" (yogurt, etc.) myself, even if I don't care for pre-packaged meals. (I also eat restaurant meals as part of my overall diet, which really and truly are problems for logging, although perfection is not necessary so they don't mean one can't successfully use MFP either.)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I am not as closed minded as I sound.

Dude, you know the rule, you have to ride the troll threads to the bitter end, you don't out yourself like this.
  • otrguynsf
    otrguynsf Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love to cook as well, but I also use the My Recipe section on MFP. Especially for dishes I make often. input one time, and you're done. It also has a feature to automatically get a recipe if it's somewhere online, or you can just add the ingredients as needed. You can manually add them, or scan available bar codes.

As for your remark about not watching your sodium, that, along with your laziness, might be a big reason why you can't lose weight with your own cooking and having to resort to processed / pre-packaged foods to lose. Sodium also affects weight loss. Higher sodium causes lots of water retention. If you were truthful with your recipe inputs, you might find out that those so called healthy meals you've been making, aren't so healthy after all. Give the recipe builder a shot.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Strong first post.

Approved.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I like to do the best of both worlds. I will eat super clean food for breakfast, have a LC steamer for lunch and PBJ for him, and then cook my own super clean dinner. It's impossible for me to cook lunch home alone with my 2 y/o that you cannot take your eyes off of for a minute. Some days I will do tuna instead of a LC. Or if I'm feeling like supermom I try to throw in a chicken breast or 2 for us.

I do get where you are coming from. I cook just enough food for the 3 of us. And struggle with logging what I cook if I do a casserole or something like that. I mean, obviously if I used 1 lb of ground turkey to cook with, that doesn't mean I ate 1 lb of ground turkey. Some parts of the casserole would possibly have less meat than others, some would have more. So just logging it as 1/3 lb might not be super accurate either. There's no way to know for sure I think...

At the end of the day you do what ever works for you. If that is boxed meals and Slimfast shakes more power to you. If you cook every meal from scratch, or enjoy protein shakes with kale and spinach. More power to you. If it works for you and you feel great, who cares!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    otrguynsf wrote: »
    Sodium also affects weight loss. Higher sodium causes lots of water retention. If you were truthful with your recipe inputs, you might find out that those so called healthy meals you've been making, aren't so healthy after all. Give the recipe builder a shot.

Adding salt to recipes doesn't affect weight loss. It precludes losing water weight, maybe, but you don't continue to gain or mask all fat loss for some extended period of time just because you add salt to your home cooking.

I add salt, and have lost weight without problem, and I never log it.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I love to cook, and even make my own naan and pasta. When I'm feeling lazy, I just cook a large batch of something like chili or burrito filling and eat it for a few days. I also pack away a serving or two of various things in my freezer for just such an occurrence.