Calorie counting as my last resort.

Options

Replies

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Well.... on the plus side I guess you have 100% control over the ingredients that go into your cooking.

You sound a bit overwhelmed. Don't worry, counting calories take extremely little time, though it does likely need a bit of planning.

The good news is it takes literally seconds to put something on a scale to see how much it weighs before you eat it. The bad news is you have to practice having availability of said scale and other plans when weighing is not an option.

I have "car-snacks"- a bag of pre-measured food I carry around with me in case I get hungry while out and about or tied up later than expected. I find this habit along with not having things in the house that I tend to over-eat on has resolved much of my undesired calorie intake.

As for exercise I pace when on the phone or do a few wall-push ups here and there or just little things to get some movement in. You don't "need" exercise to lose weight, and certainly not formal exercise at a gym. It sounds like you might be a bit active already anyway.

My last bit of advice would be to start SLOW. I set my goal at .5 per week to get in the habit of tracking and weighing and still set it back to that on some days when I want to eat more. Losing .5 a week and sticking to it is better than giving up and continuing to gain. It's been quite easy since I have not been trying to over-do it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    lulwut
  • xyrnyth
    xyrnyth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Support helps!
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    smantha32 wrote: »
    You can lose 200 pounds straight away by dumping the lazy husband.

This for starters.

Totally agree - you didn't make those kids on your own right? If you can help make them, he can help take care of them. He's supposed to be your partner.

If you don't take care of yourself or invest time in yourself, who will? With so much stress, it's possible you could get sick down the road, will your husband be there to help you with things when you're sick and cannot do them? I hope nothing ever happens where it comes to that situation, but realistically it could.

Bottom line: if you want to change your life and lose the weight, it's a commitment and you need to invest the time in yourself. Further, you need the support of your friends and family. Otherwise, it's going to end up being a yo-yo diet instead of a long term lifestyle change.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Just to set the record straight...you are not an antisocial:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

You're probably just shy.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Just to set the record straight...you are not an antisocial:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder

You're probably just shy.

Yepp.
  • rrabe78
    rrabe78 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I see your getting a lot of flack for taking care of your husband, but I understand. I get up and make mine breakfast and lunch before I head to the gym and after work I make dinner for the family- we choose our burdens.
    - That being said, there are ways to find time for yourself. I get up early on gym days (which I know you said you don't want to do because your not social- but I may say 5 words to people the whole time I work out, I'm not there to chat I'm there to lift my weights and then get out). I feel like a rock star when I leave the gym and it is the best part of my day. You could get the same feeling from a video at home or some kettlebells, or a walk at lunch possibly.
    - my advice: treat your workout like one of your kids activities, commit and make it happen. Maybe you can even walk or do some body weight stuff on the sidelines if you have to hang around for it?
    - Everyone is busy, i work, have a family, am in a masters degree program and volunteer, but we find time for what is important. If this is important to you, you can find time.
    - Good luck, everything gets easier as you get used to doing it- build some habits and find a way to to carve out some time for you.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    zillie77 wrote: »
    I found that staying within a calorie budget every day and incorporating exercise and weightlifting into my week I had increased energy almost immediately, even before the pounds started coming off. There is something very therapeutic about taking care of one's self, especially when one has lots of competing demands, like you do, with your work and your family's needs.

About 6 months into my lifestyle change, I started trying other fun things, like music lessons, and painting my toenails, little things that were not that time-intensive, but which added to my sense of well-being.

Good luck and I wish you the best.

I love this
  • goddessintraining1
    Options
    Best of luck! You can do this.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    rrabe78 wrote: »
    I see your getting a lot of flack for taking care of your husband, but I understand. I get up and make mine breakfast and lunch before I head to the gym and after work I make dinner for the family- we choose our burdens.

No flack is being given for taking care of her husband, but feeding him? His total inability to make even a frozen dinner? Unless he is physically unable to do that for himself, is not taking care.

I do 90% of the cooking here, but if I choose not to my husband will fend for himself. And I sure as hell don't feed him
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options

No flack is being given for taking care of her husband, but feeding him? His total inability to make even a frozen dinner? Unless he is physically unable to do that for himself, is not taking care.

I do 90% of the cooking here, but if I choose not to my husband will fend for himself. And I sure as hell don't feed him
    My wife would just let me starve. She's not missing the gym. I could be keeling over in a dead faint, and she'd be like "try not to die on our new carpet".

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »

My wife would just let me starve. She's not missing the gym. I could be keeling over in a dead faint, and she'd be like "try not to die on our new carpet".

Oh yea don't mess up the new carpet.. if you are keeling over go outside please.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    so you're hoping your weightloss will fix all those problems?

its the other way around. all those problems and overwhelming schedule is whats causing the weight in the first place. you must start there.

what can you take off your plate?
    what can you say no to?
    who can help you?

the husband issues, I'm sure he didnt become that way overnight. you guys each fell into a role and thats where he stayed. natural consequences might help, he doesn't do laundry well then don't do his laundry for example.
    what is his response when you ask for help? if he doesn't want to clean what can he do? run kids around? grocery shop? you need to list everything out and he can decide what he can do from the list. or halt everything, I'm serious. go on strike.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »

HahahaHahaha your wife sounds like me

Op= If do mostly all the cooking but my partner helps me with the cleaning, washing and anything else that needs doing.
    It's not the 50s where it was a women's place to do everything whist the man works.
    A relationship should be a partnership. Yours seems a bit one sided.

Good luck =)
  • xixshaiyaxix
    xixshaiyaxix Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    so you're hoping your weightloss will fix all those problems?

its the other way around. all those problems and overwhelming schedule is whats causing the weight in the first place. you must start there.

what can you take off your plate?
    what can you say no to?
    who can help you?

the husband issues, I'm sure he didnt become that way overnight. you guys each fell into a role and thats where he stayed. natural consequences might help, he doesn't do laundry well then don't do his laundry for example.
    what is his response when you ask for help? if he doesn't want to clean what can he do? run kids around? grocery shop? you need to list everything out and he can decide what he can do from the list. or halt everything, I'm serious. go on strike.

all of this.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You sound extremely busy like most mom's with kids are. Somehow you need to squeeze in some time for yourself. I know other's make comments about your hubby, but just ignore them. You are so typical of young mothers: doing everything for others all day long at your expense.
    Since you do the cooking, try some quick healthy recipes for family meals. Keep more fruit and veggies around for snacking or to grab and go.
    There are great exercise videos on youtube. If you're sitting at your desk - set a timer to remind yourself to get up and just walk in place for a minute or two every hour. The more you think about YOU, the more time you'll find to take care of your needs. It isn't selfish- the healthier and happier YOU are the better it is for your entire family.

You can do this. :)
  • LeslieTSUK
    LeslieTSUK Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Make him cook dinner for the sex

Thank you, that just gave me the best giggle i've had for a long while.

I was going to expand on that context but thinks mmm, i'd probably get post removed again lol
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    OP if you are going to use diet alone, then please take the time to prepare properly , read the stickies and learn how to use MFP. Learn how to log and weight your food .
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You've a lot on your plate.
    You can do this, get your hubby to help you out more.