food diaries!

Options
Sometimes I read a food diary and it makes me shudder as it reminds me of what I used to eat when I was unhealthy - best motivation to eat what I keep eating now!

Then the transformation slowly takes place and you see that same diary transform - all of a sudden water levels go up, wholefoods start entering, packaged foods start leaving, processed crap trickles away, exercise diaries are fuller and more regular.

These are the people who start making happier posts, regularly lose weight, interact with others more and succeed.

Replies

• smiler1978
    Options
    This is a very good post! - very motivational - I know that in the past when all of the mentioned ingredients are there it makes such a big difference!

This is my goal for the next few weeks - to improve every day x
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I read a food diary and it makes me shudder as it reminds me of what I used to eat when I was unhealthy - best motivation to eat what I keep eating now!

Then the transformation slowly takes place and you see that same diary transform - all of a sudden water levels go up, wholefoods start entering, packaged foods start leaving, processed crap trickles away, exercise diaries are fuller and more regular.

These are the people who start making happier posts, regularly lose weight, interact with others more and succeed.

Stop talking about me ;)
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to make my diary private! ;)
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    amen.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Agree with you. I started making more conscience choices when I started open my diary. :-)
  • mberi66
    mberi66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My diary is helping me as well. Good post.
  • rayfromtx
    rayfromtx Posts: 111
    Options
    I love open diaries.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I love open diaries.

I do too!! I just wish we could put little notes below our food choices so we could explain sometimes why we might have eaten so bad that day. LOL!

MTA: I just realized that there's a note section at the bottom of my log!! Doh!! Guess I'll be using that on bad days.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I think the numbers displayed in the food diary are very inspirational. I know that since I started keeping mine, I am drinking more water. Then I started trying to reach my fiber and calcium goals. I am watching my sodium numbers to see how they are. I haven't changed anything there yet, but I may. The numbers tell me what I need to know and I cannot get defensive to them like I can with my husband or with a friend, because, well, they are just numbers. The numbers have also taught me, incidentally that I don't take well to "being told what to do", even if it is out of love and concern. That is why I have kept my diary private so far. But I wouldn't be surprised if that changes somewhere down the road as well. I am already considering it.
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    You are correct. Sometimes I make excuses in my mind of why I don't reach my goals. I blame it on the fact that I don't like my own cooking, don't have the money to prepare "healthy meals," I'm far too busy to be bothered with preparing food just for myself, etc, etc!

All excuses. I have started adding more water. I think this is one of the keys. I have started to give more thought to reaching all of my goals. I am on maintenance and I am usually under. This is not great. I should be eating between 1400 and 1500 calories a day to stay in top shape.

I have a handful of MFP friends who's diaries are always perfect. I study these diaries and aspire to do better. It is possible. I can do it!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    YOU should not need to explain to anyone about your diary! This is your journey and unless you ask someone for help it is not their business! I understand reading diaries for ideas but whatever you chose to eat needs no explanation to ANYONE. You ate only accountable to you!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    YOU should not need to explain to anyone about your diary! This is your journey and unless you ask someone for help it is not their business! I understand reading diaries for ideas but whatever you chose to eat needs no explanation to ANYONE. You ate only accountable to you!

Yeah, i know, I know. But you know very well that people look at diaries and are very judgmental. That's why so many people have theirs private. I usually eat very good and if someone is looking at my diary when I had a bad day...it would just be nice to say "hey, had a bad day....keep looking"