Anyone else using a HF/LC - Ketogenic lifestyle?

13»

Replies

• laurakane1108
    laurakane1108 Posts: 20 Member
    wicksamy wrote: »
    I have been trying to get started on hf/lc but struggle to come up with meals. I also find that I feel very tired and have no energy. Thought I should increase fat intake but not sure what to eat that thats high fat and not going to cause me to overdo the proteins?

Fat bombs! :) There are many recipes out there for fat bombs. My favorite is butter, almond butter (equeal portions) then add in cocoa and I add some Sugar Free Vanilla flavor (DaVinci's) for just a touch of sweetness. Melt together, put in candy molds and refrigerate or freeze. Its like a sweet treat but its really a fat bomb.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    edited October 2014
    kahays wrote: »
    I also have PCOS and the doc suggested I go low carb and then start on Metformin. I am doing ok getting below 50 carbs a day (is that total or net? I have been going by total) and ketostix do show ketosis. Where is struggle is the fat/protein ratio. I find myself eating less fat than I should. What should I be eating to get that fat up??

Net carbs! Subtract fiber from the count.

I struggled with fat too, but now I'm adding butter and oil to a lot more things. Eat fatty meats and nuts. Cream cheese is good, heavy cream is good, these add fat. Avoid anything fat free or low fat. Most importantly for your macros, make sure you're actually logging every fat you eat, including cooking oil and butter (not all will be retained, but if you saute something in two tablespoons of oil and after plating there's less there, then it went in your food, try to estimate).

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    How many calories are you all consuming per day on the keto diet?

1350, with a breakdown of 92g fat, 95g protein, 40g carb (15 net max). It only took me about 3 days to get into ketosis.

• denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    It took me a week to get in to ketosis, still lost weight, just not the fat, that is now leaving my stomach. I do 50 Fat, 30 Protein and 20 carbs. Don't have a problem with enough variety, never was a big fruit eater, and get my carbs from vegetables. I love it that I can have bacon and eggs w/butter for breakfast, meat and cheese for lunch, and a salad with meat and cheese and full fat dressing for dinner. Never had any of the side effects from Ketosis. I also take a tblsp of cocconut oil before I go to bed if my fat content has not got high enough for the day.
  • dollforlife
    dollforlife Posts: 41 Member
    I realize this discussion is about a month old but just thought I would chime in. I've been doing a keto diet for about 3 weeks now and I've only lost one pound. Anyone care to check out my diary and see where I might be needing some improvement? I could really use the advice.
  • tessmca
    tessmca Posts: 27 Member
    I realize this discussion is about a month old but just thought I would chime in. I've been doing a keto diet for about 3 weeks now and I've only lost one pound. Anyone care to check out my diary and see where I might be needing some improvement? I could really use the advice.

I had a look, the calories left over are they earned? Other than that it looks good, I presume the set calories are appropriate for your activity level. Iv been doing it for about 4 weeks and after the initial weight loss it slowed but I can see changed in my body composition that are not reflected in the scales. I have started to go by net carbs (carbs-fibre) which has helped a bit too, and stopped filling up on protein. Add me if you want to look at my diary

• aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    mamamodge wrote: »
    aeb09 wrote: »
    My niece introduced me to this diet. I haven't started yet because i an a little scared of it. Do any of you measure your ketone level? By urine, blood or breathe? How long does the bad breathe last? Should I worry about deficiencies in magnesium, zinc, potassium or Vitamin D? Why does every major medical group oppose this diet? I tried every diet my doctor suggested. The last being FODMAP. None of them helped me and I just kept gaining more and more weight. I am never satisfied after eating. Everyone on the Ketogenic diet tells me satiation is one of the big pluses. I look forward to reading more personal stories from everyone!

"Do you measure ketones?" I bought Ketostix and tested at first, just to see what it looked like. They are notoriously inaccurate, though. At this point I do not test anymore as I know I'm in ketosis and I'm not worried about it. I would not invest a lot of money in testing after the first month or two.

I was deficient in potassium and magnesium after a few months - I knew this because I was having nightly leg cramps that were excruciating. I know make my own keto Gatorade (20oz water, 1 packet Crystal Light To Go, 3/4-1tsp potassium chloride powder) that I drink twice a day plus I take one 500mg magnesium supplement daily and my leg cramps have stopped.

"Why do they oppose it?" Because they've been preaching a low fat diet for over 50 years. Because doctors are not usually trained in nutrition and so they give the boilerplate response. There are a LOT of studies coming out debunking the low fat diet and also debunking that eating fat leads to being fat, high cholesterol and heart disease.

You are satiated on keto because eating fat keeps you fuller longer. I eat 3 meals a day - 360 calories at breakfast lasts me from 6am until 12:30 when I have lunch, and I'm never hungry or wishing I could snack. It's great to feel fuller longer and to have endless energy all day, too.

Happy to be friends with anyone currently living keto or to answer any questions someone might have. I'm down 78 pounds since March with severe PCOS, so I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job.

Wow that is a great wieght loss especially as a PCOS sufferer.

May I ask what you eat and in what portion sizes.

I followed lchf for a month ..not weighing or measuring and did not lose any weight.

Now I am imputing my food choices here and it saysfor me to lose weight to stick to 1200 calories ...however it feels as though my choices are further limited by restricting calories as the high fat pushes me up on the calorie count.However my carbs are really low so thats good.

Seldom hungry though!
    But would like to lose weight ...

Sorry, forgot I posted in here. I eat everything mentioned about 3/4 of the way down here: http://www.butterisnotacarb.com/what-is-a-ketogenic-lifestyle/

I'm now at 95 pounds lost, so yeah it's working.

Dollforlife - did you use a keto calculator to determine your macros? The numbers look good, but just curious.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    suemaggs wrote: »
    Hi Laura,
    I'm trying the keto diet, and after initially losing 16 lbs (I started at 175 lbs), and cycling 3x/week doing 30-60km rides, I haven't lost a single pound. I am so frustrated! My carbs are usually below 30gms, and my total calories in the 1200 cal range - no cheating, and keto sticks show mild-moderate ketosis, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?!
    Sue

Up your fat, and EAT MORE. I guarantee it'll work.
  • shai74
    LeslieTSUK wrote: »
    I tried the atkins diet many years ago, and it was working great, but after a test nurse found keytones in my kidneys, so got told to stop.

I won't repeat most of rest as am liable to get reported again lol, but now follow a limited carb regime to control blood sugars.

Will keep this in mind ;)

Ketosis and keto-acidosis are not the same thing. The nurse gave you bad advice.

• shai74
    It took me a week to get in to ketosis, still lost weight, just not the fat, that is now leaving my stomach. I do 50 Fat, 30 Protein and 20 carbs. Don't have a problem with enough variety, never was a big fruit eater, and get my carbs from vegetables. I love it that I can have bacon and eggs w/butter for breakfast, meat and cheese for lunch, and a salad with meat and cheese and full fat dressing for dinner. Never had any of the side effects from Ketosis. I also take a tblsp of cocconut oil before I go to bed if my fat content has not got high enough for the day.

20% carbs? That's very high for Keto. Most people are at about 5% carbs. Fat and Protein depending, mine are set at 70% fat and 25% protein, but sometimes I have a bit more protein and less fat. I didn't lose for about 3 weeks, so I upped my fat and reduced my protein a little and now I'm losing again.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    edited November 2014
    shai74 wrote: »
    20% carbs? That's very high for Keto. Most people are at about 5% carbs.

I'm at 15% carbs. At 1500 calories, that works out to 56 grams (I actually keep it under 50 though, MFP just doesn't work that way). And I'm still in ketosis, and losing weight at a comfortable pace. One common mistake I see people make is to set their carb limit too low, and then not eat much vegetables. I've read that most people can be in a mild state of ketosis with as much as 100 g/day. And I've found through trial-and-error that I need at least 40 grams a day to eat enough vegetables to avoid digestion difficulties and have enough diversity in my diet to be satisfied. Plus, it's easier to get enough fat when I have plenty of vegetables to put it on. So there's a lot of variables on this matter.

I figure: go as low as you can and still be satisfied and feel good. Once you find that sweet spot, stay there.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member

Are you drinking enough water?
  • I am 5, almost 6 weeks into keto and only down 6 lbs. I feel like I am doing something wrong? My macros are approx 70/20/10 with 1600 calories. Any advice?