Confused: Daily Calories Intake

Options
Doinitright80
Doinitright80 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Thank you for taking the time to read this! New to the weight-loss game via calorie count. According to MFP I should be consuming 1350 calories to lose a pound per week. However, I tend to eat b/w 1400-1600 calories. I've come across various posts and there seem to be two viewpoints:

1. Don't eat 1200-1300 calories as it will mess up your metabolism and you'll need to continue consuming within this range once you have hit your target weight otherwise you'll gain weight if you consume more than 1200-1300 calories.

2. Eat 1200-1300 calories to lose weight as your body needs to create a deficit.

I have noticed commentators saying listen to your body and eat when hungry when people have posted questions regarding what the daily calorie intake should be. However, I cannot tell when I am hungry so that doesn't work for me.

Which one is accurate? Should I cut back to 1350 calories?

NOTE: Activity level is sedentary. Weigh 175. Height 5'2.

Replies

• rpsg0534
    Options
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    1200 comes from "I want to lose XX pounds per week." This number is also a default minimum.....so it's a little suspect. A 6' tall woman could get 1200....a 5' tall woman could get 1200.....that doesn't sound right to me. If you set a goal too high, your calories are too low.

Information is always a good thing. When you have more of it, you can make an informed decision.

This is a good estimator for your maintenance: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

Eat less than that number to lose weight. Eat 500 less than TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) to lose 1 pound a week. Eat 750 less than TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) to lose 1.5 pounds a week.

"Eat when you are hungry".....old school. Hunger is not a good indicator of nutrition. Hormones can impact hunger too. The forums are full of women who can't seem to eat 1200 calories because they are "too full." When you make large portions of your diet high volume foods, that happens. I would be full on 500 calories of broccoli too. The problem is broccoli doesn't exactly help my body support lean muscle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This thread is super helpful for newbies..........

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Moderate goals help you lose fat (while keeping muscle):

If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Doinitright80
    Doinitright80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you rpsg0534 and TeaBea:) The links provided have been really helpful and informative.