Cravings...

Options
So I read a book a while back that stated "You won't crave what you don't eat" This runs through my head often. I was wondering what others think about this theory.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    well, I crave a glass of red wine, chocolate and cheese, ALL THE TIME!
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yeah... Well that kinda sums up what makes it a CRAVING, right?
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    well, I crave a glass of red wine, chocolate and cheese, ALL THE TIME!

Ha! Sounds yummy.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    Yeah... Well that kinda sums up what makes it a CRAVING, right?

True, True!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I quit meat for Lent usually, and I've been known to crave some delicious lamb as Easter approaches, so I'm skeptical.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I doubt it's a universal truth, but I think there is a bit of truth to it, at least.

I have celiac disease, so I can't eat anything with gluten. I haven't had any bread in over 5 years. I have no craving for it at all. In fact, a large number of celiacs I know have said the same thing: they have no urge to eat wheat anymore. They miss the convenience of easily getting food to eat more than they miss the food itself.

Only one example, of course, but it holds true there, at least.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i think there is *some* truth to that.

but I've been able to manage my cravings by keeping my emotions in check and not depriving myself at the same time.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    I doubt it's a universal truth, but I think there is a bit of truth to it, at least.

I have celiac disease, so I can't eat anything with gluten. I haven't had any bread in over 5 years. I have no craving for it at all. In fact, a large number of celiacs I know have said the same thing: they have no urge to eat wheat anymore. They miss the convenience of easily getting food to eat more than they miss the food itself.

Only one example, of course, but it holds true there, at least.

Exactly! I agree.
  • chelseamurrell
    chelseamurrell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think that can be true with time. I used to love to eat sugary carbs like doughnuts and once I stopped I would cave in at least twice a month. When I made a lifestyle change and avoided even looking at the temptations, the cravings stopped all together.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    I think that can be true with time. I used to love to eat sugary carbs like doughnuts and once I stopped I would cave in at least twice a month. When I made a lifestyle change and avoided even looking at the temptations, the cravings stopped all together.

That is awesome. I need to get there!
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »

but I've been able to manage my cravings by keeping my emotions in check and not depriving myself at the same time.

Yes, not depriving yourself is a big deal. If I deprive myself and I get a little bit of something I will binge on that until I puke (well, I am exaggerating but still)
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I crave stuff I don't eat very often all the time.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think it's a balance, for me if I'm eating desserts and snacks regularly I will crave them more. If I reduce significantly the cravings go away. If I make them forbidden then they become too compelling.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »

Yes, not depriving yourself is a big deal. If I deprive myself and I get a little bit of something I will binge on that until I puke (well, I am exaggerating but still)

Yes--I think when you have a mindset that something is forbidden and then have a little it's common to think that you've already blown it so might as well have a lot, since who knows when you will get the opportunity again.

For me it works best to make foods I like but which are only once in a while things permitted, but just make sure I weigh the costs (calories, how they fit in my overall diet). Then I don't get that reaction.

I do think that one can develop a habit of eating certain foods at certain times so when you first stop you think about it then and then as you get out of the habit you stop. When I first started this I would always want something sweet at around 5, since that was my habit, but when I stopped satisfying it I got over it.
  • eranganm8
    eranganm8 Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "You won't crave what you don't eat"

I think this statement sure have some truth in it. o:) I'm a person who used to struggle with my craving all the time. :# on the first phase of dieting I used to cheat more than once a week due to unbeatable cravings.but once I forcefully control myself and stop eating something for couple of weeks (for an example ''Coke'' ) or so and replace it with something healthy and tastes good in it's own way then surprisingly my cravings has been lessened. it's like I have forgotten the taste of it and the weak memories could barely give me a bigger push to drink it anymore. I decided to keep it that way and it's getting better and better. and I learned to use that theory in my other craving too and it has been working fairly well for me..

in a way it's like stopping contacts with your ex.. if you keep talking to him even once in a while you refresh your senses and make it hard to move on for yourself.. but once you cut down all the contacts..then in the meantime your memories fade and you just move on to a healthier life... Simple as that.... ;):D
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    eranganm8 wrote: »
    "You won't crave what you don't eat"

I think this statement sure have some truth in it. o:) I'm a person who used to struggle with my craving all the time. :# on the first phase of dieting I used to cheat more than once a week due to unbeatable cravings.but once I forcefully control myself and stop eating something for couple of weeks (for an example ''Coke'' ) or so and replace it with something healthy and tastes good in it's own way then surprisingly my cravings has been lessened. it's like I have forgotten the taste of it and the weak memories could barely give me a bigger push to drink it anymore. I decided to keep it that way and it's getting better and better. and I learned to use that theory in my other craving too and it has been working fairly well for me..

in a way it's like stopping contacts with your ex.. if you keep talking to him even once in a while you refresh your senses and make it hard to move on for yourself.. but once you cut down all the contacts..then in the meantime your memories fade and you just move on to a healthier life... Simple as that.... ;):D

Very true. Like smoking as well (if you ever smoked) I quit July 31, 2014 and now I never want to look at another cig! Gross.
  • eranganm8
    eranganm8 Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Nop ... I had/have so many bad habits.. luckily smoking had never been one of them.. o:) but so proud of you for having the willpower to stop that gross habit... yeeehhh B)
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    eranganm8 wrote: »
    Nop ... I had/have so many bad habbits.. luckily smoking had never been one of them.. o:)

:)