Using coconut oil in your hair

Options

Replies

• smb0421
    smb0421 Posts: 37
    Options
    i love organix coconut oil spray, just one or two spritzes and your hair is so shiny and smells yummy
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds kind of yucky
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well I obviously cannot listen. It is in my roots. And my ends. (Using a very small amount!) And around my eyes, on my elbows, knees, lips. I couldn't stop. It feels amazing! It will go on my hands right at bedtime. I shall update and let you know if I have a soul glow from me putting it on my roots. LOL!
  • assthetik
    assthetik Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Well I obviously cannot listen. It is in my roots. And my ends. (Using a very small amount!) And around my eyes, on my elbows, knees, lips. I couldn't stop. It feels amazing! It will go on my hands right at bedtime. I shall update and let you know if I have a soul glow from me putting it on my roots. LOL!
    go on ;)
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Every time I use coconut oil for anything on my body I end up with the bathtub equivalent of the Exxon Valdez spill going on. Then DH almost falls in the morning when he showers, and it's not fun to wake up to him glaring at me.
  • sizzle74
    Options
    assthetik wrote: »
    go on ;)

LOL! That could have been interpreted many ways I now see! ;)
  • sizzle74
    Options
    Every time I use coconut oil for anything on my body I end up with the bathtub equivalent of the Exxon Valdez spill going on. Then DH almost falls in the morning when he showers, and it's not fun to wake up to him glaring at me.

Noted! I will wipe out the tub with cleaner after! :) (I'll try anyway. Like I said, I'm not the best listener so far with this stuff.)
  • hhmb8k
    hhmb8k Posts: 49
    Options
    I passed out in a Pina Colada once. Does that count? I don't remember if it did much for my hair. In fact I don't remember much at all. :neutral_face:
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I use it on my hair and love it. I massage it into my scalp as well. If I use it on my scalp I leave it over night and shampoo in the morning. Other times I will use it on the ends of my hair to smooth it down. My hair can get a little frizzy cuz of the curls.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I've never used just pure coconut oil on my hair, but when I wash my hair to straighten it, as I've got naturally kinky, curly, fuzzy hair- I *literally* use one drop of this stuff, and it's amazing! Then blow dry my hair, and straighten it with a curling iron. LOVE it. It's awesome!

cvs.com/shop/product-detail/OGX-Nourishing-Coconut-Milk-Anti-Breakage-Serum?skuId=445082
  • donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I deep condition my hair with coconut oil about once a month. From scalp to ends, then keep it in for 5 - 10 hours (or overnight). Then wash out in the shower. I love it.

I also use coconut oil as a skin lotion for all over body care. The trick to it is to use a very small amount. It soaks in completely in about 10 minutes and really softens your skin.
  • CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time! Skin, hair, cuticles, lip balm... google it and you'll be amazed at the uses for it.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I mixed coconut oil and honey and a little water and used it as a mask for a good 40 minutes before my shower, especially rubbed into my scalp. I had to shampoo twice with a sulfate free shampoo and didn't have greasiness afterward. I also used some of it on my face and rinsed it off in the shower.
  • msmillie98
    Options

Sounds good, but does it get on your pillowcase/sheets?

I notice my pillowcase will smell like coconut and be a little oily, but its never been a problem. I use it as a facial moisturizer sometimes so I don't mind if a little oil from my pillowcase gets on my face.
    The most important thing is to get good quality coconut oil. The Trader Joe's brand is great. I tried some from Walmart once, and it was terrible (similar consistency to vegetable shortening).
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If my hair seems dry, I'll put a bit on my finger tips and rub through the ends of my hair before bed. Then wash in the morning. A little goes a long way!
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I mixed coconut oil and honey and a little water and used it as a mask for a good 40 minutes before my shower, especially rubbed into my scalp. I had to shampoo twice with a sulfate free shampoo and didn't have greasiness afterward. I also used some of it on my face and rinsed it off in the shower.
    THIS! I do this all the time, and was about to link the recipe for it. I love it! http://theeverygirl.com/feature/coconut-oil-honey-hair-mask
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've done this and loved it :)

I did from mid-shaft down to the ends ... no roots like some mentioned above. I used the form that I cook with. My fav? Nutiva extra virgin coconut oil. It melts instantly in your hands. I used a big scoop full as I put it on my hair dry. I twisted it and put a clip in and then a plastic grocery bag over it. Spent most the morning this way.

A harsh shampoo will wash the oil right away so try not to use something that's going to strip your hair. But for several days after my hair is so tame (I have fizzy, curly hair) and easy to manage.

Good luck!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Was going to try it. Grabbed wrong bottle in my wife's bathroom. Used nair instead. Happy with the results though.
  • Pebbles5280
    Pebbles5280 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use pure coconut oil and it does take several shampoos to get it completely out. When I need to deep condition, I leave it in overnight but I don't do it on workdays since it requires more shampooing time the next day. The tub definitely gets very slippery so I put little grippies down so I don't kill myself.

I also use the coconut oil as an all over body moisturizer. I smell like a fruity drink but it feels great.