Post-Mortem Photography should still be a thing.

Options
I'm feeling the Halloween spirit and love creepiness anyway but who else thinks Post-Mortem photography should still be a thing? I think people and animals should be tastefully photographed after death, maybe I'm weird but I find it really interesting and beautiful in a haunting way. Death can be as beautiful as birth in my opinion!

Replies

• TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Those pictures always intrigued me. Except all the dead kids. That just creeps me out. Idk. I guess I have a unique perspective on death ever since I've dissected a cadaver.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Was "still" a pun? Because lol
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    "maybe I'm weird but" MAYBE??? There's no question about it!
  • iamanasangel
    Options
    I find the old photos of the dead to be helpful for the families mourning. idk i dont see anything wrong with it XD
  • hhmb8k
    hhmb8k Posts: 49
    Options
    I'm probably missing out on what specifically you're referring to, but it still is in some respects. There is an active group of volunteers (usually, but not always professional photographers) who take pictures of children--specifically and primarily stillborn babies and newborns, but not exclusively. They then give the photos (usually in an album) to the family free of charge. Sorry, don't remember the name of the organization, but I knew a photographer who used to do that.

As far as adults are concerned, my guess would be that there are legal ramifications related to being able to give consent that, at least in part, prevent it from being a thing. Parents give consent for minor children.

Anyway, what is it you were referring to in the original post? Old west photographs of dead outlaws propped up outside of the bank they robbed or something else?
  • smb0421
    smb0421 Posts: 37
    Options
    hhmb8k wrote: »
    I'm probably missing out on what specifically you're referring to, but it still is in some respects. There is an active group of volunteers (usually, but not always professional photographers) who take pictures of children--specifically and primarily stillborn babies and newborns, but not exclusively. They then give the photos (usually in an album) to the family free of charge. Sorry, don't remember the name of the organization, but I knew a photographer who used to do that.

As far as adults are concerned, my guess would be that there are legal ramifications related to being able to give consent that, at least in part, prevent it from being a thing. Parents give consent for minor children.

Anyway, what is it you were referring to in the original post? Old west photographs of dead outlaws propped up outside of the bank they robbed or something else?

i was referring to more victorian era post mortem... but i think post mortem photography could be a whole new modernized thing. when i die i would like to be posed and photographed in some outfits of my choosing, in a beautiful setting... to be beautiful alive or dead, either way it's still me

• hhmb8k
    hhmb8k Posts: 49
    Options
    Well, hauling a dead body around the countryside may be a bit tricky legally, but if you're willing to make some compromises on setting and background, and remember to put it in your will, you could probably make it happen.

But to what end? What is at the root of this? A fear of dying, desire for immortality, vanity, connection to family, something else?

Whatever the reason, you can take solace in the fact that when you are dead, you won't care if it happened or not.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My Mom has a bunch of post-mortem photos of our family from back in the day, I've always found them haunting but tasteful.

Personally, I just want to be dressed in a Hawaiian Shirt and dragged around to tropical bars, Weekend at Bernies style.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    My Mom has a bunch of post-mortem photos of our family from back in the day, I've always found them haunting but tasteful.

Personally, I just want to be dressed in a Hawaiian Shirt and dragged around to tropical bars, Weekend at Bernies style.

I like your style.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I honestly would not like that. I would not like my picture taken after death nor would I like a relative to have their pictures taken after death. My great grandfather just passed away this morning. I would be very up set to find out if someone took photos of him.

My aunt was extremely upset when her husband's family began taking pictures of his body during services. So if you do want to have them, make sure everyone is okay with it.

This is of course different if you want the pictures taken or a cultural norm.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    This practice isn't completely vanished from our societies. In many hospitals, it is common practice to have mini-photoshoots done of children who are stillborn. The unfortunate reality, for those of us parents who have had to face it, is that we don't get to bring our children home and sometimes photographs of the dead are all that we have.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I never saw why it fell out of favor, just because they're dead doesn't mean you should forget them. I won't care if someone takes my pic when i'm dead just dress me up or put me in a funny pose.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    smb0421 wrote: »
    I'm feeling the Halloween spirit and love creepiness anyway but who else thinks Post-Mortem photography should still be a thing? I think people and animals should be tastefully photographed after death, maybe I'm weird but I find it really interesting and beautiful in a haunting way. Death can be as beautiful as birth in my opinion!

Honey, where've you been? It ain't gone anywhere! At least, down South. Let's all gather 'round the casket for a family portrait! *kitten*. You. Not. Oh yes, we do it down here. We take pictures of people in the casket, and then the family gathers around the casket for a picture. Now, do *I* personally partake in this? That would be a negatory. That's not how I want to remember my family members, but hey, that's what some people like, and it's a Southern tradition for a lot of families. That and "decoration day". Where you take your fried chicken, and all the "fixin's" to the graveyard, and have a picnic, while you put flowers on the family graves.

• Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Mrs_Bones wrote: »
    This practice isn't completely vanished from our societies. In many hospitals, it is common practice to have mini-photoshoots done of children who are stillborn. The unfortunate reality, for those of us parents who have had to face it, is that we don't get to bring our children home and sometimes photographs of the dead are all that we have.

*HUGE HUGS* I am SO very sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking, and truthful. It is a totally different story when that's all you have, and you don't get to take your angel home with you. :'(
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    OP is morbid as hell... i like it! >:)
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I don't even want an open casket, all these people parading past to look at you lying there.
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My grandmother took pictures of all of our family member is their caskets. She was the ultimate Southern Belle.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    It's not my thing, but I don't mind if others are into it. I don't think it's as necessary these days since "back in the day" photographs were rare and sometimes one taken after death was the ONLY photo a family had of a deceased member. I'd rather remember the person in life, and I'll avoid seeing them in their coffins whenever I can. (I used to work in a cemetery and I have a good friend who was an embalmer's assistant, so it's not like I have a phobia or anything... I just prefer life memories.)
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of people that I am looking forward seeing to Post-Mortem phootographs of.