Exercising with back pain

Options
I'm pretty new to the whole exercise thing and have been following a circuit training regime at home. Today I did a new workout and stupidly performed a move just a little bit wrong which has resulted in a pretty sore lower back. My own fault, I know however what I would like to know is do I continue with the circuit training while my back is sore or is there another form of exercise I can do which will rest my back but not stop the momentum of exercise I'm building. I'm finding I'm really enjoying it and feel really good so don't want to stop. Any advice would be great. Thanks :)

Replies

• 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I would visit a doctor to determine the severity of the "injury", or if its even an injury at all. Backs are pretty critical to life. Personally, I would wait for the pain to subside, get checked to be safe and maybe join a gym to have guidance on form. Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Since it just happened today, I would ice it, rest tomorrow, and then see how it feels. If it still hurts, go see the doctor. You can always walk, but I really wouldn't do much else until you feel better. I have a chronic low back injury and if I make it too angry then all the muscles start to lock up, it's *awful*. I mean that's probably a lot more extreme than your case but when it comes to the back, it's much better to be safe than sorry.
  • alib752
    alib752 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I do have bouts of sciatica and unfortunately have struggled to move this morning so will stick with plenty of walking for the next couple of days until it eases off. That will teach me for being over-enthusiastic!
  • hhmb8k
    hhmb8k Posts: 49
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Since it just happened today, I would ice it, rest tomorrow, and then see how it feels. If it still hurts, go see the doctor. You can always walk, but I really wouldn't do much else until you feel better. I have a chronic low back injury and if I make it too angry then all the muscles start to lock up, it's *awful*. I mean that's probably a lot more extreme than your case but when it comes to the back, it's much better to be safe than sorry.

Good advice. In this day and age people are so quick to encourage others to go to their doctor for things that were considered non-medical issues in our parent's day.

You can feel comfortable telling somebody they don't need to see a doctor for a minor sports or exercise related injury for the simple reason that if it was an issue that required the intervention of a physician it can't be called a minor sports injury.

^^^That is really more of a wordplay joke than it is medical advice (for those without a sense of humor).
  • powerpigeon
    Options
    Don't push your luck with back!
    I've done my back a few times, and my physio always scolds me about my core strength. if you're prone to back trouble, a strong core can be a huge help. Pilates and yoga are great for building up your core, but please consult your Doctor first before trying anything if you have an ongoing back issue.
  • DebinMelbourne
    DebinMelbourne Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Don't push your luck with back!
    I've done my back a few times, and my physio always scolds me about my core strength. if you're prone to back trouble, a strong core can be a huge help. Pilates and yoga are great for building up your core, but please consult your Doctor first before trying anything if you have an ongoing back issue.

This! I have degenerative disc disorder in my lower back. I was in mild/moderate constant pain for ages until I really focused on my core strength through Pilates and guided gym work. I am now actually pain-free for most of the time! I can't speak more highly of Pilates for back issues and general fitness.

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    As a general comment, I have read it is advisable to have defined rest days. Starting exercising from a very low activity level will leave you vulnerable to problems. Hope a little ice and "rest", being up and about not sitting for long periods, will see you back on top.
  • cosmichvoyager
    cosmichvoyager Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I had a herniated disc a few years ago and try to be mindful of maintaining a strong core. I started with a lot of exercises on my back on the floor, like glute bridges, leg raises dead bug, starting a workout with 10 big diaphragmatic breaths helps. Just keep squeezing those abs and glutes!
    I really like this exercise called supermans https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc6UVRS7PW4 be sure your stomach is really on the ground and that you aren't rotating your hips at all. The focus is on squeezing glutes and abs.

Cycling on a non-recumbent bike (stationary or not) kills my back and gives me terrible sciatica--don't know if you are doing that or not.

• alib752
    alib752 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to fully take on board how important core strength is and make that a big part of my routine once I'm back to fitness