Motivation for workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    At first my bone density was my motivation, so I don't end up with severe osteoporosis like my grandmother and my mother.

Then I read a whole bunch of scary things about loss of muscle in menopause so that added motivation.

My ideopathic hypertension was becoming quite resistant to medication, so I made cardio regular instead of haphazard. Didn't help the blood pressure one iota, but I felt like I was doing something beneficial for my overall cardiovascular health. Change what I can, ya know?

Then I started seeing physical results from lifting. I'm *gasp* "toning". Nothing motivates like success.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    1) I like food, so I eat back half of my exercise calories now. Before, I used to eat them all back, so hopefully I'll get to the point where I don't eat them back at all (or maybe 25% of them).

2) I like the feeling of sweating away while doing cardio.

3) It lifts my spirits and gets me out of my house. I find something on TV or on my smartphone and watch it while I walk/jog/pedal. This way I get to watch TV while burning calories.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    On a somewhat related note... if you can get over the initial hump, you'll eventually start to build habits, and exercise will become a habit, a normal part of life that you just do rather than something you have to find motivation for.

Breaking bad habits and forming good ones is key to long term success. If you continue to fight yourself, eventually you'll lose. At least IME.
  • KaitJennifer
    KaitJennifer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fitting into clothes that I never thought I could is pretty damn motivating to me! I love non scale victories :)
  • Amberbcox
    Options
    My little girl. I lost my Dad when I was 29 -- he was 63, my hubby is 38 and just lost his at 67. I want to live as long as possible and be around for my daughter forever.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My motivation lately is knowing that my hubby is workingout too - knowing he is putting the effort forward, helps me in matching that effort.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My motivation I LOVE to eat and drink beer. Motivation enough!!!!! running a 10K this weekend.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I get to put another x on my calendar.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    If I don't work out I am crazed. I start to feel horrible and cranky. That is a huge motivator!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The "guilt" I feel if I do not work out and the scale. I have to workout during my kids' nap time so it also gives me no time to talk myself out of it because nap time can be less than an hour. I have no time to debate if I want to do it or not. I always remember what Chalene Johnson says, even if you do not feel like doing it, try for five minutes and you will get into it.
  • INSPIRE_SELF
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note... if you can get over the initial hump, you'll eventually start to build habits, and exercise will become a habit, a normal part of life that you just do rather than something you have to find motivation for.

Breaking bad habits and forming good ones is key to long term success. If you continue to fight yourself, eventually you'll lose. At least IME.

i like your way of thinking good point
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Honestly, working out at the end of the day helps relieve any stress and I sleep so much better. I also feel a sense of accomplishment especially after a strength training day.

There are days when I feel too tired or just not in the mood, I change and convince myself to complete a warm up. 99.9% I do the entire workout.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't need motivated to do something I Love to do.... When you come from being trapped in the house at 560 lbs. to being able to do just about anything I darn well please, then motivation takes a back seat to living my life to the fullest and exercising is just part of that..... Best of Luck
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Getting stronger motivates me!
  • INSPIRE_SELF
    Options
    CyberEd312 wrote: »
    I don't need motivated to do something I Love to do.... When you come from being trapped in the house at 560 lbs. to being able to do just about anything I darn well please, then motivation takes a back seat to living my life to the fullest and exercising is just part of that..... Best of Luck

wow that is amazing that itself just motivated me more
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    CyberEd312 wrote: »

wow that is amazing that itself just motivated me more

this is the fun part! What did it motivate you to do today?

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    what gives me motivation changes from day to day.

sometimes it's seeing a lower number on the scale. sometimes it's wanting to see the number on the scale drop.

Sometimes its reminding myself that I've lost 6 inches from my waist so far - and only have another 1 to go before I'm out of the uber-unhealthy waist measurement category.

Yesterday it was taking my 3 months of lifting progress pictures. I weighed exactly the same yesterday as I did the day I first picked up a weight and squatted with it (I gained a lot when I started lifting - and it's taken it's time leaving me again!), but you wouldn't believe that from looking at the pictures, this difference is huge - seeing that had me reaching straight for my car keys and hitting the gym.

Today my motivation is I want fish and chips for tea tonight. I'm not letting myself have them without a swim first.

I think the determination comment above is right. I'm determined to succeed at this at last. That means I can find the motivation to move more in many different things.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I actually have an exercise bike in front of my tv... so if I want to watch tv I have to sit on my bike... This is why I get most of my exercise in the evenings!