Asthma, TB & Joining the gym...

Options
Hello all!

I have a problem with my lungs, and I am very unfit! I have asthma and I used to have TB, I don't help myself because I smoke, but i am going to try and give that up using hypnotherapy.

The issue I have is that I have put on 2 stone and 9 pound in 18 months, and I would like to get active to lose my weight, I am a firm believer that it's not just what you eat that makes you lose weight effectively. So I have joint a gym, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good starting workouts or tips and tricks to help my breathing, I have had a chest infection and a flare in my asthma recently so i have a bad cough at the moment but I have always had a cough since having TB. any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading x

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    The amount you eat determines if you lose weight effectively.

Exercise and lifting is for general fitness, and to preserve lean mass while diet is helping you lose fat.

I have asthma, and it's better some days, worse others. I have several rescue inhalers, as I'm sure you do, I would suggest taking the most effective one you have prior to working out. I'd also take it with me, and keep it at hand, breathing starts being impinged, I'll take a hit.

Moderate your effort based on your breathing. I personally find free weights to work the best for my breathing challenges, because it's got a good pace, and you can really control breathing. Yoga would be next. Surprisingly, swimming right after that, something about the pressure of the water on my chest makes my breathing better.

Just try a bunch of things, and keep a record of breathing problems, so you know what you're doing when you have asthma problems and can start adjusting based on that data.
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hi, sounds like you need a gp check up prior to exercise, I also recommend speaking to the gym, most gyms offer a pt session on joining, so a trainer should be able to advise you. That said I'd recommend you avoid cardiovascular workouts they will just put your lungs under more stress, and sounds to me their under enough. I agree with the last poster weight loss will be down to your diet, so primarily get that under control, exercise for me is for fitness and getting extra cals to eat hehe my rule for losng weight is its 80% diet, 20% exercise, so get that diet under control, get a check up and do some strength training , Goodluck
  • rochellemorgan
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for your advice :) I probably didn't word the part about food very well, as I know the diet does make a difference! Thanks :)
  • Fluffy_Fury
    Options
    Talk to your Doctor before you really venture into anything. I've suffered chronic asthma since birth and exercise is a main trigger for me. I (personally) started small. I'd allocate an hour to the gym twice a week and just do low intensity work outs and then build up length and intensity slowly the next time I visit. Eventually I was power walking for an hour and not coughing once. It's slow going, but better safe than sorry as Asthma is a fickle mistress, but exercise is a great way of helping to control it (funnily enough).

Please please PLEASE do consult a doctor before you start anything - I have regular asthma check ups once a year. And remember not to judge your progress on anyone else's performance. I now work out at moderate intensity for about 4-6 hours a week. I spread my time between aerial arts training, yoga (AMAZING FOR HELPING WITH BREATHING. If your gym offers classes get in on that!) and working in the gym itself.

Most importantly remember that food and calorie counting is going to be far more effective for just wanting weight loss. Exercise IS really important, boosts your metabolism and is genuinely recommended, but unless you're watching what you eat there's not much point to it. And you'd be surprised the equivalent that you burn off - it's not as much as you think! Best of luck, and always remember to carry your inhaler! :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's slow going, but better safe than sorry as Asthma is a fickle mistress, but exercise is a great way of helping to control it (funnily enough).
    Yup, mine didn't get better until I started fighting it.
  • rochellemorgan
    Options
    Cool thanks everyone!
    I did a session yesterday, and although some is better than none, I didnt feel as though I had done enough, but I will gradually build on it.

thanks