Food Pyramid

Options
I'm sure everyone remembers the food pyramid from school. :laugh: Looking at it, sometimes I wonder if its correct. I almost feel like veggies and fruits should be on the bottom. :huh: What do you think?

food_pyramid.gif

Replies

• Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've never seen this before..lol
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I do believe veggies should be on the bottom...and that the grains should be on the very top

Info about low-carb:
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=carbs-against-cardio
  • tdolphin1
    tdolphin1 Posts: 26
    Options
    I agree...they need to move the carbs up under fats & oils. I know there are "good" carbs but for the most part alot of it is "bad". I've cut down on my carbs since for me they are a major player in gaining weight. Thanks for posting this, haven't seen it in awhile :-)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    i remember this pyramid. If I eat like that I get fat. Too many grains make a fluffy girl. :frown:
  • PoshTaush
    PoshTaush Posts: 1,247
    Options
    http://www.myfit.ca/printablenewfoodpyramid.gif

Actually, this is a link to the "NEW" food pyramid. Still suggests getting a large amount of "GRAINS" but tells us they should be "whole Grain" ...

I am still with you in the thinking that the old one was VERY MISLEADING!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    i remember this pyramid. If I eat like that I get fat. Too many grains make a fluffy girl. :frown:

lol I use the word fluffy too!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I just found this one...I like it better...but now it looks complicated. haha

nutrition_pyramid.jpg
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Yeah um I don't agree with that pyramid lol I'd rather have it upside down like in your second post.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    veggies should definatly be one the bottom!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I like that 2nd pyramid.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Grains should SO not be a major food group. Sighhh...the US agricultural machine's commercial success bums me out. I'm not a huge fan of eating paleo but they certainly got the grains thing right!
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I want to call them the Fat Pyramids. Cause even if we follow them--we get fat! Way to many carbs!!! Huh, maybe that is why we are all here....:laugh:
  • joshandstacy
    joshandstacy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I would take a pretty good guess that by increasing the fruits and veggies while lowering the breads/grains without adjusting other things... The caloric intake would likely be too low and we'd all lack energy. I think a good thing to keep in mind is that it's not just starch in this category but grains which have vitamins and nutrients we need.