Getting over stomach bug - need help

Options
So I'll spare you the gory details, but it's been vicious. I know I need to eat but my stomach is still REALLY tender and can't handle much of anything. I'm looking for some good high calorie bites to at least meet my BMR for the first time in three days. I feel like hell. Can't handle any sort of sugar and even fruit is turning my stomach. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    While sick you might not be able to meet your calories. If you're sick, you should be focusing on getting better, not calorie counting.

Start with a BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast) and small amounts.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Lack of appetite is part of having the flu. Your body knows what it's doing there. If you can get some dry toast or crackers down, that'll be great. Maybe drink a little room temperature ginger ale. If you're barfing up a ton, you could try some Pedialyte or Gatorade, but a lot of people just barf them up. Generally, people can't eat when they have the flu.

When your appetite comes back, it comes back like crazy. That's the time to eat. :)
  • vanryswicksl
    vanryswicksl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You may want to try some rice pudding if you can handle a small amount of sugar. The rice should be binding and the eggs that are in most rice puddings will provide a little bit of protein. You can also add raisins to it if you prefer. I would recommend sticking close to the BRAT diet to help you start getting back on your feet. Have you tried unsweetened applesauce with toast?
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have three kids to chase around so I can't afford to be weak. I feel like if I could get some decent calories in me I might start to perk up. Kept down some applesauce this morning, remembering the BRAT suggestion from when the boys are sick, and it feels a little better. I just HATE being down, with a passion. Looking to feel better quick! Everyone wants a quick fix nowadays. Patience, I guess *sigh*...