Ever had a breakdown during your workout?

Options
Ever had a breakdown during your workout? I practically had a breakdown during my workout today (tears, snot, and all)--- I couldn't believe that I'd allowed myself to get to the point where I am now....

But right when the pity party thoughts started, I prayed and said "God help me get through this!" And then it hit me: yeah, I may not be where I want to be, but I'm a whole heck of a lot better than where I used to be (sad and filled with regret). So I mustered up the strength I had from that prayer, thanked God some more, and killed the workout. ..... Moral of the story---> when those thoughts show up, you've got to shut them down. (My way is throughout my faith in God).... You can do it!!!!! Just keep going!!!!!!! :-) Keep going... B) It doesn't matter how slow it seems but just tell yourself you've got to keep going.

Wooosah!

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    totally.

My workouts are so personal and so symbolic of the things I am fighting in my brain and my heart and my everyday life. Sometimes Im trying and struggling so hard on both platforms, in the gym and in my brain and all my feels collide and I end up hiding in the bathroom or lockeroom until I can compose myself. Some days there are just silent tears. But my workouts are powerful stuff and it's when I fight my demons. If I come out a bit battle weary, at least I know Im fighting hard :D
  • Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I cried the first time I ran a mile without stopping to walk. I stopped for a second to compose myself and then kept running! I felt on top of the world the rest of the day. It was a personal victory that was much deeper than simply a distance, time or anything other than proving to myself I am worth this struggle. This is hard stuff. You gotta fight. When you haven't always loved yourself that's pretty tough sometimes.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    4355374631_sad_i_know_that_feel_bro_l_877_9359_large.jpeg

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I broke up with my BF- drove all the way to his house to do it in person- then drove home- so like 3 AM I got home- had to be at the gym at 8/9 am the next morning for work- then worked out. I managed to hold it together through work- but pretty much bawled my way through an hour of plyo type work- it was mortifying- but I wasn't going to NOT do my workout- it was horrible. I'm pretty sure everyone in the gym saw me at my worst.

Whatever- went home - got tanked by 530 and was up at 7 for work on Sunday with only a mild hang over.

Sometimes workouts are like that- and it's okay.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I don't think I have ever had a breakdown.....but I have had some crappy workouts due to moods...
    Or if something happens...then it really throws me off my workout, and a lot of times I just get up and leave....I can't focus on the workout anymore.
    Then that pisses me off.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    A couple of times. A few times in the beginning when I couldn't do the things I felt I should have been able to.

And then the first time I jogged a mile straight I cried for like five minutes haha
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've snapped, and gotten super aggro thanks to yoga. It takes me to dark places.

Hey, it happens. Working out isn't easy, if it was, more people would do it. Sometimes challenging things opens up that which we hide.
  • AmyOwl73
    AmyOwl73 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yup... trotting along the path, just bawling my eyes out. Haven't had it happen at the gym yet, but I've gotten close.
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've cried after working out because life had just been awful lately and I was feeling crappy about myself. I haven't cried during a work out. I have wished for death though during a particularly rough work out. lol

Crying is the worst. I mean, my face isn't THAT big, how does it hold all that snot?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Oh dear I cant imagine ever having a breakdown because of the workout I laugh with myself too much to cry over one. They arent that important. I find it all amusing or boring and tend to be focused on wanting to do my workout and dream of finishing and going home. Was a rough day today as I unusually ran out of energy so just took a rest agreed my targets and complete the workouts and went home. Btw im a couch potato in progress, but I work hard at the gym and dont kid myself or take short cuts.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I got very emo after my 1st PT session but Ive been ok otherwise. No snot yet
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Btw I do understand those who cried from making an achievement or because they were having a bad time.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wish I worked out hard enough to have a breakdown! :neutral_face:
  • JZ_Evolution_Mark2
    JZ_Evolution_Mark2 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Nope.. but I have felt like I want to punch someone in the face. Does that count?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have. I've gotten really pissed off during a workout, typically because I'm having a crappy workout and feel really weak. Unfortunately, this usually makes my lifts suffer, which annoys me even more. No tears, though.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    No... I can't say I know how to estimate the burn from a break down, so I find it best to avoid them.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    must be a girl thing
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have come close- where I am working through something (intense squats, heavy load), and then I stop and feel like I am about to burst into tears at any second. I take that moment to go pee, or refill my waterbottle and refocus. Last night I thought it might happen as I was exhausted from the past two day's events (I live in Ottawa and work in the critical zone) and kept feeling it build up, but I made it home and had a bit of meltdown there while eating my chicken.
  • rupert2011
    rupert2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is hard stuff. You gotta fight. When you haven't always loved yourself that's pretty tough sometimes. [/quote]

This is the only time I have put myself first, the only time I have stuck with it (eight months and counting). Yep when I hit my 40 pound loss I cried, sometimes when I'm working out and the old me is yelling in my head to give up and the new me is fighting back and saying I can do it... yep I cry. I'm on a journey to get healthy and it is pretty tough.
  • landay
    landay Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Totally been there. I think there's something about doing the physical that sometimes opens up the emotional.