MFP ups my fiber recommendation

Options
Why does MFP up my recommended fiber intake when i eat certain fats?
Every morning it starts at 25 fiber. Then I input my lunch and now it recommends 38 fiber for the day yet I am only at 500 calories for the day.
Is this normal? What number should I try for.

Replies

• rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    It's probably from the exercise you input, not the fat. When I input exercise it increases all my macros, because it increases my allowed calories for the day.
  • agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've never seen it up fiber from any food entries, just after exercise.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    Here is a screen shot.
    It seams to be when I eat a fat that is not saturated fat.
    o6dh0fa152nm.jpg

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    It's not based on fat, it's based on exercise - it increases EVERYTHING .. calories and macros. You have 267 calories worth of exercise today... go take that away and your extra macros will go away.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Your goal is 30 fiber. You ate 18. Your remaining is 12.

This doesn't show how fiber goal increases.
  • mandimahoney5
    Options
    This morning as every morning, my starting recommendation was 25.
    The other day it was 27 by the end of the day.
    so it has increased through out the day

I didn't know if this is normal for MFP to up it depending on what you eat or exercise, and I think I have my answer.

From others post it is exercise. I went to days that I had logged 500 plus calories of exercise and those days I have a 30-35 goal of fiber.

Now I just wonder why. But I will google that I guess.

deksgrl wrote: »
    Your goal is 30 fiber. You ate
    20. Your remaining is 12.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    A day where you had NO exercise..

mandimahoney5 Daily Goal 1,200 150 40 60 2,300 45

A day with 201 extra calories earned due to exercise..

mandimahoney5 Daily Goal 1,401 175 47 70 2,300 53

The only thing that does not increase there is the sodium at 2,300.

You don't have fiber visible on your diary though.

And fiber is good for you, it helps your poop. I aim to go over my fiber every day as I'm on a high fiber "diet" per my GI.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    This morning as every morning, my starting recommendation was 25.
    The other day it was 27 by the end of the day.
    so it has increased through out the day

I didn't know if this is normal for MFP to up it depending on what you eat or exercise, and I think I have my answer.

From others post it is exercise. I went to days that I had logged 500 plus calories of exercise and those days I have a 30-35 goal of fiber.

Now I just wonder why. But I will google that I guess.

deksgrl wrote: »
    Your goal is 30 fiber. You ate
    20. Your remaining is 12.

Because when your calorie needs are greater, all of the breakdown of the dietary needs are greater as well.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not well versed in nutrition, so I don't know if your intake of fiber should increase just because your calories do. It's not like fiber is a nutrient. A dietician would know for sure.

Like most Americans, I have trouble hitting my 25 every day, so MFP might as well raise it to 1,000,000 as 38, because I'm not hitting either one. :)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    There's nothing to Google. MFP doesn't treat fiber as a static goal (although I think they should). If your calories get increased by exercise, your cals, macros, and fiber get bumped accordingly. So either it's a math (programming) error on their part, or they think you should get more fiber if you eat more calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you go edit your Fiber goal, it's in grams, not percent. So I think it's a programming error. It looks like they're taking your % from fiber and applying it to your adjusted calorie goal, which doesn't make much sense from a health standpoint.