Losing weight without losing muscle

Hi guys,

I started doing strength training 4 weeks ago and I was eating pretty much anything. I decided I wanted to reduce my weight. So, I kept the same training but started counting my calories using this tool with the -2lbs per week goal which gives me 2200 calories per day. (I'm 220 lbs currently)

Will I lose muscle mass because of the aggressive weight lost goal? I wanna lose weight but not my muscle mass!

Thanks guys,

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Make sure you are eating enough protein. You might lose a little bit of lean mass, but if you are eating a good healthy balanced diet, without too big of a deficit and keep weight training, you will lose mostly the the stuff you want to lose.
  • morgan_mfit
    morgan_mfit Posts: 58 Member
    If you continue strength training and eat a considerable amount of protein you should not lose your muslce mass (gathered from research). I would recommend doing your own research or hiring a coach/trainer to decide how much protein is right for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Above post are correct. Weight loss will always result in some lean muscle loss, but one can keep it to a minimum with correct protein intake and lifting routines that are moderately challenging in resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• waibashi
    waibashi Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks for the answers guys, I will look into increasing my protein intake and adapting my workout routine.

Cheers :)
  • waibashi
    waibashi Posts: 5 Member
    So got feedback from my coach, he said it should be around 160 to 200g of protein per day. It's around 1.6 to 2.0g per KG (weight). I find that a lot ... can you guys confirm that information makes sense?

I'm sorry if it seems a dumb question, I just started monitoring my intake and I'm quite new in nutrition.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    waibashi wrote: »
    So got feedback from my coach, he said it should be around 160 to 200g of protein per day. It's around 1.6 to 2.0g per KG (weight). I find that a lot ... can you guys confirm that information makes sense?

I'm sorry if it seems a dumb question, I just started monitoring my intake and I'm quite new in nutrition.

It's not dumb and yes it is usually .08-1g (I've heard both often), so 200 g of protein a day for you would be awesome!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

It sounds high to me. I think it's normally 'per kg of lean body mass', not current weight.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/protein-intake-while-dieting-qa.html/
  • b_ray_73
    b_ray_73 Posts: 110 Member

How much is recommended per kg of bodyweight usually will vary depending on your goals and where you're currently at. I think it sounds about right, I usually aim for 160-190.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I'm 130-135 pounds and usually eat around 90-100 grams of protein per day with my 1300-1400 calorie intake. 160-200 grams of protein sounds about right if you extrapolate up to your calorie goal.
  • jasmon
    jasmon Posts: 7 Member
    0.8g protein per lb of bodyweight (from Wonderpug pn bodybuilding.com)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Genetics and current level of lean body mass play a huge role. A large percentage of people can do everything "right" and still lose significant muscle mass as they drop weight.

C'est la vie!
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    jasmon wrote: »
    0.8g protein per lb of bodyweight (from Wonderpug pn bodybuilding.com)

^^^ This. Also, I wonder if Wonderpug knows he's become a cite-able source on the interwebz.