Carbs percentage/grams per day

Options
almorah
almorah Posts: 16 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I am training about 2-3 per day 6 days per week. I like to take part in classes A lot of spinning and circuit training in the gym.
I have set my carbs as 42g, protein 125g, fat 49g. Is this too low for someone as active as myself?
I always seem to go over my carbs by no more than 45g. I cannot eat a lot of leafy greens as it bloats me out something chronic!! I hate it. So been having bananas wholewheat bread, lots of water but I do have sweet tooth so the odd greek yogurt with protein powder.
Any suggestions how I can further lean out more. ? The over limit of my carbs frustrates me. Seems too little for me as I am always on the go in the gym, weighttraining, spinning, aerobics, running etc. I am so hungry after and I am constantly below my calories though. In fact always have a couple of thousand in deficit per week, but I do have a carb blow out on a Saturday. My cals are set at 1100. Too low for the amount I exercise per day?
Thanks guys.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are you training for that you're working out 2 or 3 times a day?
  • almorah
    Options
    I actually work in the gym so I take part in classes while I am at work. Perks of the job. I have so many influences around me that I am trying to look more leaner. I am 115lb in weight and even though I am somewhat slim, I want to lean out more. But my energy levels are low enough for me to always want carbs. On my days off work, then the 1100 cals really gets difficult!! As I do not exercise on those given 2 days out of the week,
    I am just asking for an idea of a typical LOW CARB diet day. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Your energy is low because you're starving yourself...
  • almorah
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That's exactly what I do not want to do but I do not want to eat any more cals. 1100 is fine for me during work a,s I 'eat it' back, just on my days off its hard. Even though I end up having a deficit, I do like to keep those til Saturday to have a carb blow out. About 3000 cals. I keep hearing the ketogenic diet, which I am aware of, but I am curious of how others on here, keep to their low cals diet without going over their carbs limits?
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    part of the reason you're going over on your carbs is because you're choosing one of the highest carb fruits out there, along with the bread. ditch both of them in favor of strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries and a scrambled egg or two.

as far as keeping calories low, i've got my limit set at 1580 but am averaging more like 1400ish. you can easily replace bread or sandwich wraps with lettuce leaves to eliminate the carbs and the calories. fat provides more energy than carbs do, so i'd drop your carb levels down and replace them with fats within your calories... you'll stay fuller longer.

if you do choose to go for a ketogenic diet, make sure you read up on it first so you understand what's going on within your body... you might want to re-think having a carb blowout once a week, and just go for a calorie blowout instead.
  • mikkielias
    mikkielias Posts: 21
    edited October 2014
    Options
    42 grams of carbs?! oh my god. I just read you are pretty active so I think you should try to consume a minimum of 150 grams of carbs...
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    mikkielias wrote: »
    42 grams of carbs?! oh my god. I just read you are pretty active so I think you should try to consume a minimum of 150 grams of carbs...

no. there is no requirement to eat carbs just because you're active. fat is a more sustainable, satisfying fuel source than carbs are.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope, not enough. You need to more than triple that amount of carbs just to meet a minimum.

Ketosis is not something to strive for.

Remember that looking healthy and BEING healthy are two different things.

Go see a doctor and get some good advice. These people at the gym sound like they're going to kill you with their help.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Would you mind opening your diary? I'd like to see how much you're grossing.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Nope, not enough. You need to more than triple that amount of carbs just to meet a minimum.

Ketosis is not something to strive for.

Remember that looking healthy and BEING healthy are two different things.

Go see a doctor and get some good advice. These people at the gym sound like they're going to kill you with their help.
    You're not eating enough and given all your effort, it's going to be a shame to see your progress stifled.
    Work hard, but also work smart!
    :)

• BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    go to a website where you can calculate your calorie requirement (for example this one)
    try it for some time and see how your body reacts and adjust it accordingly.

Without being disrespectful, you should know that a starvation diet is NOT a good idea if you work at a gym.
  • almorah
    Options
    part of the reason you're going over on your carbs is because you're choosing one of the highest carb fruits out there, along with the bread. ditch both of them in favor of strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries and a scrambled egg or two.

as far as keeping calories low, i've got my limit set at 1580 but am averaging more like 1400ish. you can easily replace bread or sandwich wraps with lettuce leaves to eliminate the carbs and the calories. fat provides more energy than carbs do, so i'd drop your carb levels down and replace them with fats within your calories... you'll stay fuller longer.

if you do choose to go for a ketogenic diet, make sure you read up on it first so you understand what's going on within your body... you might want to re-think having a carb blowout once a week, and just go for a calorie blowout instead.

Calorie blowout. I like that. Yes!! Thank you. You have changed my thinking on that. Thank you.

• almorah
    Options

I have a locked key on my diary. New on here so not sure if inboxing is the way forward from here on, I am happy for you to look at my diary.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    almorah wrote: »

I have a locked key on my diary. New on here so not sure if inboxing is the way forward from here on, I am happy for you to look at my diary.

I won't be able to view it without the key. You can either change your settings under my home>settings>diary settings or you can inbox me the password.
  • almorah
    Options
    almorah wrote: »

I won't be able to view it without the key. You can either change your settings under my home>settings>diary settings or you can inbox me the password.

inbox message sent. thank you
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Also, how tall are you? At 115, I'm not sure you should be eating at a deficit to lean yourself out but rather focusing on increasing muscle (speaking from experience of being around that weight and eating at 1200-1300 calories a day to drop 10 pounds and it really don't work out long term at all).
  • almorah
    Options
    I understand and to be honest I have been doing a lot of strength training and have leaned out somewhat where my size and weight has kinda stayed the same, but I am noticeably slimmer and stronger too. However, I always have a problem with my TUMMY!! Never shrinks with the rest of my body. As much cardio and resistance, for some reason no joy in that area. Just look preggars and even more so when I eat!! Reason why I am desperate to try anything to get rid of that. I am doing lots of tummy exercise. Planks, medicine ball sit up, weighted sit up, body weight exercises. Just frustrating.
  • almorah
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Also, how tall are you? At 115, I'm not sure you should be eating at a deficit to lean yourself out but rather focusing on increasing muscle (speaking from experience of being around that weight and eating at 1200-1300 calories a day to drop 10 pounds and it really don't work out long term at all).

160cm