Curiosity-- How do you know about nutrition?

Options
13»

Replies

• Chaskavitch
    Chaskavitch Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I feel like I grew up hearing a lot about eating healthy foods. My mom had a lot of ups and downs in weight, but I think most of her problems were emotional eating and binging, not so much eating a lot of unhealthy things. We've always had a lot of salads, veggies with most meals, whole wheat bread instead of white, oatmeal for breakfast, etc. My mom likes to cook, I think the only prepackaged meals I had growing up were pizzas and breakfast sausages.

I've learned more from a LOT of reading and basically experimenting on myself since I moved out on my own. I know what works for me, I just have trouble sticking to it because I <3 all the carbs and have trouble with portions when you bring out the french bread :)

I definitely know a lot of people who know nothing about nutrition. One young lady at my mom's church threw out all of her pans because they were "frying" pans, so she assumed anything cooked in them must be "fried", and therefore unhealthy. At the same time, she was feeding her family huge portions of Stouffer's lasagna and freezer meals basically every night, and her "healthy" salads were about equal ratios of Iceberg and ranch/cheese/ham. She really was trying, but she had no idea where to start.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Basilin wrote: »
    rbfdac wrote: »

Here's an example of my husband's meals at home (and the way my MIL still cooks for Sunday dinners). Fried steak ( like chicken fried steak), mashed potatoes with butter, macaroni and cheese, and fruit salad (fruit salad=canned pineapple, mandarin oranges with whipped cream and vanilla pudding mix). Unless you count the mashed potatoes, not a vegetable in sight! This next part is completely literal- my husband had never even tried a salad until we started dating five years ago. I have slowly broadened his food horizon, but there are still less than 10 vegetables that he will eat. He had also never tried broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes.. I could go on.

I think in his situation the blame is not necessarily completely on the "meat and potatoes" diet, but the fact that he was never offered or made to try any new foods. I do actually think that his mom might have had a salad or some vegetable with her meal, but he never did.

Additionally, I'm from the South, so a basic southern meal doesn't generally contain fresh vegetables. Occasionally side salads will be served, but you're more likely to see creamed spinach, corn with butter, or green beans with bacon and marinated in grease!

I've known a few people that also grew up like this. From one friend, apparently his mother "got a deal" on Spaghettios... and bought an entire CASE of them when he was a kid. So the family ate Spaghettios regularly for dinner for two years (turning my friend off from Spaghettios forever). When I met him, he didn't know how to identify most vegetables. He also never had a salad before. Thankfully, introducing him to vegetables, he actually does like quite a few of them even if he's never had them before. But he still doesn't eat right at all. He's getting older gaining a lot of weight and is almost 300 lbs now with a BMI of over 35. I'm hoping he'll realize what he's doing and make a change soon. He's the kind of person that won't listen to anyone else until he comes to his own conclusions. :persevere:

I can't believe how important it is for parents to teach their kids how to eat. Being a parent is a tough job. I'm so grateful my mother has done well giving me a fairly healthy diet, even if she let me have sweets a little bit too often! My dad was a good influence, too... he wanted to be a chef when I was growing up, but just became a fabulous home cook instead. :smile:

I learned what I know about nutrition from grade school (though now everything is different!) and from college biology classes (BS in Biology as well), and doing my own research. I don't think I'm an expert or even close to being really well informed about nutrition, but I also don't think that eating healthy is as much of a rocket science as people make it out to be. People have been eating since the dawn of our species, and doing it well. I think food science and manipulative marketing tends to make everything more complicated and difficult for people that really could just follow their common sense and be fine; and the fact that we can't rely on common sense anymore is a sign that our culture is failing us.

I remember we had to take Home Economics and Health when I was in grade school and we learned about proper eating, the four food groups etc. It's scary that parents aren't being educated in proper nutrition because if they aren't then their kids won't have good eating habits and they are going to have to fight to get the knowledge later in life. Too bad we don't take proper nutrition more seriously since it's one of the biggest issues now with so many dietary issues turning into health care issues.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

I remember we had to take Home Economics and Health when I was in grade school and we learned about proper eating, the four food groups etc. It's scary that parents aren't being educated in proper nutrition because if they aren't then their kids won't have good eating habits and they are going to have to fight to get the knowledge later in life. Too bad we don't take proper nutrition more seriously since it's one of the biggest issues now with so many dietary issues turning into health care issues.

It is a strange world we live in now that there are so many "food dangers", and not because of poisonous plants. Omnivore's Dilemma is a good book.

Some dear friends of mine had their first child, and they both struggle with diet and weight, but they do know about proper nutrition and eating right because of those struggles. I'm curious what their child's relationship with food will be; if they'll be able to break the cycle of their parents (their parents are obese or near obese; some with obesity-related diseases). He's barely a year old and they gave him a taste of French Fries from a fast food place, and of course he was immediately hooked. It's their decision and I respect them as parents, but it made me realize that when I have children I'm not going to give them food like that ever when they are so young (not eating it myself especially). There is no good in it to me.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I feel like I grew up hearing a lot about eating healthy foods. My mom had a lot of ups and downs in weight, but I think most of her problems were emotional eating and binging, not so much eating a lot of unhealthy things. We've always had a lot of salads, veggies with most meals, whole wheat bread instead of white, oatmeal for breakfast, etc. My mom likes to cook, I think the only prepackaged meals I had growing up were pizzas and breakfast sausages.

I've learned more from a LOT of reading and basically experimenting on myself since I moved out on my own. I know what works for me, I just have trouble sticking to it because I <3 all the carbs and have trouble with portions when you bring out the french bread :)

I definitely know a lot of people who know nothing about nutrition. One young lady at my mom's church threw out all of her pans because they were "frying" pans, so she assumed anything cooked in them must be "fried", and therefore unhealthy. At the same time, she was feeding her family huge portions of Stouffer's lasagna and freezer meals basically every night, and her "healthy" salads were about equal ratios of Iceberg and ranch/cheese/ham. She really was trying, but she had no idea where to start.

This saddens me!!

I have stepchildren whose mother is also overweight (also, as in, I am too) but she doesn't seem to know a thing about nutrition or, perhaps, care (where we differ-- I KNOW, I just prefer ice cream!), so I have been fighting a losing battle with my stepchildren for years now! They are 10 and 6 and I can't get the oldest to eat a single vegetable. He will sit at the table for HOURS if we tell him he can't leave until he eats his food. The youngest will eat a few vegetables, but she is definitely still very picky. Both of them survive on a diet of cheeseburgers, chicken nuggets, chips, and French fries. This is almost exactly how my husband ate as a child. Once his mother found something that he liked, she wanted to please him and not fight with him, so that's what he ate, which is why he never tried a salad until he was 28. I now have a 9 month old son and I plan to try my hardest to teach him about nutrition and have him eat nutritiously. I do not want him to battle his weight when he is older.

The salad part is also where a lot of people get stuck- it's a little crazy that you can order a cheeseburger and fries at a restaurant for fewer calories than a lot of the salads on the menu. As for at home, that ranch dressing and cheese is killer!

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Google
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    research! once I started learning, I can't stop researching and couldn't believe how little I'd always known
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I learned through research. With my first weight loss go-around a few years back, my trainer gave me an eating plan with approved foods. It was the first time that I saw healthy fats as part of an eating plan, including real butter. From there, I just kept reading and researching. I am on my second weight loss go-around (health issues and love of fattening foods had me gaining half of the weight I lost originally) and I am still learning.

To me, it is more than just burn more calories than you take in to lose weight. I want to know the biological and chemical processes my body goes through when I eat sugar, healthy fats, etc. The more knowledge I have, the better I follow a healthy eating and exercise plan. It helps me stop and consider: do I want to do an intense 20 minute cardio session (above and beyond what I have already done for the day) so I can eat that bowl of ice cream (if it is outside my allotted calories) ... the answer often times is NO! On those times, I tell myself yes, I am later in the gym working it off ... gotta pay the price for indulgences!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    allanakern wrote: »
    research! once I started learning, I can't stop researching and couldn't believe how little I'd always known

^This. For me it started in Feb. 2012 when I joined another weight management site, and I've been learning ever since. It really was an eye-opener.

• nogreenthumb
    Options
    I think with me, growing up in the middle of nowhere played a big role in the foods I enjoy today. I had this obsession with going into the garden and eating raw vegetables. Being so far away from a major city, we never had the option of picking up drive-thru on the way home. Even when we went to local restaurants, the food was home cooked by someone you knew.

It's funny too, because growing up, lunch and dinner always had a dessert associated with it. Maybe you had a couple cookies, a piece of pie, pudding, etc. I was never one to like sweets, I'd prefer to run into the garden and steal a handful of snap peas. Maybe it was because I secretly "snuck" into the garden and thought I was being all sleuth-like, I dunno. Either way, it seemed to stick with me.

I do remember back in the 80's, the whole craze with diet pop and diet fads and whatnot. The only thing I ever remember getting scolded on was tossing out perfectly good food (whether it be considered "healthy" or not).

• eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I never really gave it too much though until maybe about 5 years ago. Growing up, I did eat a lot of fruits and vegetables (and was encouraged to do so). That being said, when I was younger, I would also consume vast amounts of cookies, for one, and nothing was said about that either. I also picked up some bad habits from some family members - snacking when not hungry, grazing on various snacks all night, etc, etc. The same family members (actually member) also seem to subscribe to fad ideas ("Egg yolks are sooo bad for you!"). I never really knew anything about macros, how many calories I should eat, etc, etc.

So anyway, I've mostly just picked it up on my own over the last few years especially. At first, I'd just learn from logging different foods and looking at the macros. I seek out information in articles and other publications as well. I am by no means an expert, but I feel much more knowledgeable than I did before. Maybe someday I'll take a formal course.

Edited to add: I grew up participating in a LOT of activities.. was always running around playing some kind of sport. So, I was at a really healthy weight all of my childhood. Once I got to those "awkward years", the food I binged on (like cookies mentioned above!) started to outweigh all of the sports I played. I wish I thought of food as "fuel" for my body back then like I do now. You live, you learn...
  • dmz1207
    dmz1207 Posts: 13
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I grew up in an environment where my family was well-intentioned but under-informed. It was difficult as a child and young adult to prioritize eating healthily when: 1) you balanced overall nutrition with "traditional" meals and "on-the-go" eating to accommodate busy schedules. 2) you didn't really understand nutrition, metabolism, digestion, what different food/ingredients do to your body, etc. -- my parents didn't pass on any reasoning on WHY I should eat x and y and not z, etc. so I never understood the value of a nutritious diet. 3) I was very active until I became a cubicle monkey so I could get away with eating poorly. 4) I never realized how sneaky and "technically accurate" advertising for many processed foods actually is, and the "healthy" food I was eating was really not as healthy as I assumed.

I took an interest in college in learning more about exercise, supplementation and general nutrition, and I was able to get in decent shape and lift decent weight -- since then I try to keep educating myself on emerging research, and find it increasingly difficult to practice what I preach as well, despite it being all the more crucial given the level of activity (and my slowing metabolic rate) I experience now compared to when I was in college working out 5x a week for a minimum of 90 mins per session!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I am not well-versed in nutrition, but learned what I do know by:

1. Picking up books and reading them.

2. Asking people who are very knowledgeable.

I was raised on one of the most unhealthy diets possible. Mom really thought she was doing a good job, but she was clueless. The one and only thing she limited was pop and that was only because she thought carbonation couldn't be good for young stomachs, lol.

That's why I'm always congratulating people who teach their kids good habits. It's harder to adopt them when you're used to yummy junk food.

• Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have learned through research and reading, but I can tell that it is hard to find real experts in the field of nutrition, ones that know what are they talking about and always link any study and reference. I have a group of experts that I always read/listen to and of course among all of them I make my conclusions, because there is some science that it needs to be done so you have to listen to your body as well.