How much weight should I lose? [pic]

Options
I am 5' 8" and 183 in the photo. BMI charts say I am overweight(obviously) and my healthy range is 122-164. That is crazy to me. Could I really lose 61 pounds and still be considered healthy? I can't see where it would come off on my frame. But I don't want to hit my second goal (1. 180# 2. 170#) and still look pudgy and not be considered healthy. What do you all think?? I know it's hard from one pic, sorry...b5li4f7bhxpi.jpg

Replies

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    You wont know until ur there... aim to get to a healthy weight then re-assess when u get closer
  • lisaducharme54
    lisaducharme54 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should get to 165 being anything under would look unhealthy.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5" and just on the cusp between medium/small frame. I'm at 140 lb right now and it's just about right I think. How I got here: I got down to 165, didn't like how I looked, and kept going. I eventually got down to 140. At that point I was getting pretty thin on top despite still having some thigh chunkiness going on, so I decided to switch to maintenance and recomp. We'll see how it goes. At the end of each month I've always done all my measurements and photos (front, side, back) to track progress and decide if I want to make any changes.

The only way you will know is to set a goal, get there, and see if you think you look too skinny/bony yet. This website can give you some suggestions, but there's really no substitute for monthly pics as you go: http://www.cordianet.com/calculator.htm
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's so good to hear other opinions when all I hear from my SO is "you look fine how you are honey" ;)
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should get to 165 being anything under would look unhealthy.

Really?? That's so subjective. I'm 5'11" and am aiming for 150, which doesn't look unhealthy on me at all.
    To the OP, maybe don't worry about your final goal weight. Get down to 160ish and see if you want to go any lower.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Really?? That's so subjective. I'm 5'11" and am aiming for 150, which doesn't look unhealthy on me at all.
    To the OP, maybe don't worry about your final goal weight. Get down to 160ish and see if you want to go any lower.

This. Also, if you lift on a deficit, you might be happier with your body at a higher weight than if you do not lift.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Entirely subjective.
    Before I added muscle I was still far too fat to be happy at 165 (I'm the same height as the OP). Now when I reach 165 pounds I'll be around 15% body fat.

OP: Just start. You don't need a number to tell you that you like how you look. We see lots of people who reached their goal and still don't like how they look. Most of them did no strength training and their body composititon isn't appealing to them. Add some strength training in from the start and go off what you see in the mirror.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    About 30 to 40 pounds
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Start with mini goals, like 160 and reassess when you get there.
  • Beploveshomer
    Options
    Alright. 160 at this point doesn't seem like a mini goal, it seems like the goal to meet all end goals, but it makes sense, science-wise. I will say, in 23 pounds I will come back to this post and re-post swim suit pics and ask the same question! :)
  • Beploveshomer
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Entirely subjective.
    Before I added muscle I was still far too fat to be happy at 165 (I'm the same height as the OP). Now when I reach 165 pounds I'll be around 15% body fat.

OP: Just start. You don't need a number to tell you that you like how you look. We see lots of people who reached their goal and still don't like how they look. Most of them did no strength training and their body composititon isn't appealing to them. Add some strength training in from the start and go off what you see in the mirror.

That is something I am interested in. I read a lot about core exercises making you look bigger, but it is important to me for my horsebackriding, so I keep doing it. Better a big strong middle than a skinny weak middle I guess?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'd start with a 20 lb goal and go from there. I'm 158 currently at the same height with a large-ish frame. I could never been 122 though.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Abs are sexy. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • artemiss09
    artemiss09 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had similar stats to you 5'7" and I started at 186. I'm shooting for about 150 (or a little higher if I put on muscle).
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't worry too much about the number on the scale. 160 pounds on a 5'8" frame can look totally different from person to person depending on body shape and composition.

What's really important is that YOU like how you look and feel. I'm very, very happy that I've done strength training from the beginning and heavy lifting this year, but we all have different goals for our bodies. I'm 5'6", and my goal weight has changed lots of times - from 199 to 175, to 160, then 150, and now 145. Just see how you feel about your progress as you go, and reevaluate if you want to. :)
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm at 145 - I'm 5'7. I need to put on muscle, but I've leaned out a lot from my running. Give yourself a roundabout - yet achievable number - then re-assess when you get there. When I was 242 and a size 24, I said "I want to be a size 12." When I got to 12, I was surprised that I had more to go, so I just re-assessed as I went.

Go to where you feel comfortable, and not sick.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I have similar stats and a similar looking body. I started at 181 and was pretty happy at 160, although I'm sure that I could drop another 10 lbs. Better yet, screw the scale, lift heavy, and drop 2 more sizes... I'm just not there yet. At this point, I'm still working on keeping the initial loss off, but you'll know as you lose. For me, anything in the 120s or 130s would be ridiculous. That's me in high school with zero muscle. I'm more interested in keeping the weight off and being strong than an actual number. So somewhere in that range sounds good :)
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and hated my body when I was 155, I'm now 123.

It's different for everyone, you are just starting so focusing on a number is not ideal. Get started and in a few months you will know more about where you want to be.

My goals have changed in just one year, and I've read on the forums that it happened to other people too. Some get hooked on how they can transform their bodies while others get hooked into getting strong, or running long distances.... which is a good thing because it keeps us motivated.
  • flabflipper314
    flabflipper314 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Let me give you an example of messed up charts. lol I am 5 ft even. The charts say I should be 115 pounds. I was 185 when I got married and went up to 210 lbs in a year. I lost weight by eating right and doing aerobics three times a week. I got down to 135 lbs. Everyone kept telling me that I was losing too much weight. I've always had a much bigger behind than the top of my body. Finally the lady who owned the exercise place told me that maybe I should stop losing. I told her my but was so big. She said that it was my genetics and I would always be shaped that way. I was actually VERY bony up on top. So how in the world could I be 115 lbs if I looked bony at 135?

My point is, that you can set a goal, but don't make the goal permanent in your mind. Try to be objective when you look in the mirror and pay attention to how you FEEL. I have to lose a lot of weight....AGAIN....grrrr. But I hope that I can start looking at my health more than the number on the scale. But, it's sooo hard.

• Annahasababy
    Annahasababy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great for 183. My lord. Where would the weight come off ???? Maybe just shoot for 160 (23 lbs). No clue how or where the weight will come off. You look just like I do (I'm 112 lbs but 5 2) well when not pregnant. Ha