I need help/advice

Options
I've never been thin but over the last few years I seem to be slowly packing on the weight. I'm 5 foot 2 and about 72-73kgs now :( (22 years old female) here are some pictures http://imgur.com/a/mk622#4

I suffer from anxiety, bipolar and anemia which seems to of made things even worse. I was medicated but it was making things worse as well..Earlier in the year I was about 64kg but things unfortunately seemed to of spiraled out of control.

I don't eat overly unhealthy and I don't eat that much at all, I'm just quite inactive. I used to run a lot last year but I hurt my knee and now the patella seems to be permanently shifting and it makes doing much more than 1hr a day of walking pretty impossible.

I don't know what to do, I feel like my weight is out of control. It's quite depressing...I feel so fat and nasty and depressed :/

I think I will try to walk every day for about half an hour and eat some healthy soups and small cans of corn and beans as snacks (which I have already got). I want to be back under 70, eventually I want to be 60kg... so what do you guys think, any advice or help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think you're a long way off "fat and nasty" to be honest. Your diary is closed so we can't see what you're eating etc. 2 * 40 minutes a day of walking may be an alternative, allowing some recovery time between the two sessions.

In general I would try to limit or avoid snacks, especially carby things like corn. If you can eat three meals and be satisfied oyu're likely to do better than drip feeding food through the day.

What you eat is more important than exercise. If you can't open your diary at least say how many calories per day you eat and how many grams of protein.
  • Frayde
    Frayde Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm bipolar too. Walking is a godsend. Try to get outside every day, for your soul as well as for your body, even if it's just for half an hour. Of course more is better, but get what you can...every day! Walking the treadmill at the gym isn't the same. I live in the South, but walk even when it's snowy and icy outside (it doesn't get too bad here) because it's that important for both body and soul.

Read some articles about healthy eating and decide what plan is right for you: low carb, or 6 small meals a day, or whatever; then try to stick to it. There are a lot of ideas out there about the right way to do this, and there are as many "right" ways to go on a weight loss journey as there are people on MFP. You can get good advice, but you do have to find your own way. Don't be afraid to turn to a doctor or nutritionist for advice too. Many insurance plans in the US will cover a few visits to a nutritionist a year (though it sounds as if you are not in the US), still--check your benefits--maybe this is something you are eligible for.

Feel free to add me. I will be happy to cheer you on!
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you are still taking bipolar medication, make sure to let your dr know about your weight loss goals and discuss whether the medication is adding to the weight. I was taking amitryptaline (for sleep and migraine prevention) which is an antidepressant..... I gained 25 lbs in 2 months after I started taking it, so he quickly took me off of it.
  • SadisticSienna
    SadisticSienna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys :) , I have lost weight earlier in the year but I find my body doesn't use much energy at all (like 4000-5000kj) so I had to pretty much starve myself

I have an idea, to meal replace 1 meal (either lunch or dinner) meal replacement shake and another meal with a can of soup; I have a few different kinds of them. They are healthy too, have vegetables, meat, grains and such. Then I will have a cheese triangle and my petite miam yoghurt as a snack. Not sure about what I'll have for breakfast. I don't handle milk well and bread is too high in calories. Maybe I could have half a meuseli bar and a small can of beans or low fat cottage cheese or an egg! :)

Yeah, I can go on my elliptical trainer but for no more than about 20 minutes, and walking separate. I have to be really careful or my patella will slip and I won't be able to walk for a few weeks. That's what happened last time. Was horrible