Shift working blues and blubber

Options
I was wondering if anyone could give any insight on how they deal with shift work and weight loss/maintenance.

I am a paramedic and our shifts are 12 hours days or nights. It kind of varies, not a true 4 on 4 off schedule, and if you look around the healthcare field you tend to see a lot of ummm - extra pounds - floating about.

The 'don't eat after 8' thing obviously doesn't work, and it is often really hard to have a good workout when you have just worked the night before. My sleep schedule is always so messed up I am aware that I probably loose some help there, but does anybody have any good suggestions as to what they do for shift work?

Oh, and another wrench is that the only places open after midnight in my city are Tim Hortons, 7-11, or MacDonalds, and i can't depend on taking food in the ambulance in case it gets contaminated as if so often does....

Replies

• DimenaZhena
    DimenaZhena Posts: 102
    Options
    My husband is on 12 hour nights shifts. He's a police officer. He is still thin, but it's been tough on his metabolism and eating habits. Although I don't directly feel your pain, I hear about it every day! lol.

P.S. Kudos on everything that you do! It's a tough job! Especially on nights!
  • shimila1101
    shimila1101 Posts: 119
    Options
    My bf is an ER dr so he deals with the same thing while trying to lose weight. He always has protein bars on him to eat. If he has to eat when he gets home before he goes to bed he eats very little or just goes right to bed. Even though I don't directly deal with it, I know he complains about how it's just hard because there is no routine.
  • anglicw
    anglicw Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain, I work 12 hours a day too and after being on your feet all day, it is tough to come home and work out. I just want to go to bed, but I force myself to do it. It relieves the stress of the day. I dont eat when I come home from work. I get a big glass of cold water, workout, shower and bed. I am going to try to workout before my 12 hours and see if that works out better.
  • mrssmock
    mrssmock Posts: 9
    Options
    Seems like no matter what you do in the medical field (I'm a MT and going to school for MA soon) your hours are never consistent. Even though I work from home, I have to work when the work is there even if that is at 2am (comes in handy when I have insomnia though). and I always feel guilty if I'm doing something else (like working out) because there is still work to be done!

I don't have much advice, I'm struggling myself. But even McDonalds has salads now, not the best, but better than a microwave cheeseburger from 7-11 LOL. The protein bars and not eating a heavy meal before you go to bed are good suggestions. My husbands health suffered greatly when he was on night shift, you have to be extremely diligent about YOUR health (another downfall in the medical profession).
  • ritarampage
    Options
    This is so difficult. I have definitely been there. The only difference is that I worked a pointless job, and your job is endlessly important!

Not taking food into the ambulance presents a problem, but having not-so-great restaurants open late doesn't have to be so bad. Check the nutritional information for McDonalds and Tim Hortons to find the healthiest options for you. As for food in the ambulance, could you bring some kind of bar and keep it in a sealed bag? Maybe Luna Protein or some other lower calorie option that can keep you fuller, longer?

Keep your workouts simple. If you're tired, just try for a short walk. Chances are, when you get to twenty minutes, you'll want to keep going.

I've mentioned on other threads about how great the 10 Minute Solution workout video series is. They're quick, varied workouts that can be as easy (like yoga) or difficult (like plyometrics) as you want or need.

Good luck with your goals. You will find the right balance and what works for you.
  • apeetro
    apeetro Posts: 12
    Options
    I am a RN and worked night shift for three years. I totally know where you are coming from. I gained most of my weight those years and working out was nearly impossible. But with faith and support you will figure out some schedule that works for you. I eventually started working out before work because I knew I would not do it after. Good luck with your weight loss!!
  • Teenamarie_36
    Options
    i'm a respiratory therapist and my schedule is 6p-6a when i'm on the floor at the hospital and 7p-7a when i'm in the sleep center. I do my calories and exercise like i would if i worked a dayshift. on a work day i eat breakfast at 1pm, lunch 5p, and dinner is whenever i can between 7p and midnight. after midnight my next day starts and breakfast is around 2am, with a snack around 4:30am. i go to bed at 8am and get up at noon, eat lunch and exercise 30-45minutes, and my night starts again at work.

when i'm off my eating schedule is like a normal day person would have. I have lost 40 pounds since september 2010 and I lose about 5 pounds a month.

It's not always easy to get up and do something. But I just tell myself, if I can be sitting on the couch watching tv ,then I can be watching tv while on my treadmill.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour night shift. I log my meals in from breakfast til breakfast. I other words, I eat breakfast when I get home in the morning. When I get up in the afternoon my first meal is logged in as lunch. Then my lunch is around 11 or midnight and I use the snack slot for a 4th meal and I try to finish off the rest of my calories then. It has worked so far.

Try it different ways until you find something that works. Good luck.
  • bushp
    bushp Posts: 2
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts as a pharmacist, 7PM to 7AM, 7 on 7 off. My situation is a little different because we have food refrigerators and a microwave at work. However, I try not to eat too much after 7PM. I eat breakfast when I get off. Then nap for 4 - 5 hour depending on the day. I usually wake up between 12 noon and 1PM. Therefore I have lunch around 12:30 or 1PM. I try to work out between 2PM and 3PM. I have dinner at 6:15PM. Of course I eat really fast since I'm a pharmacist :-).
    I also cook several healthy meals at a time so that I can just pull something out to warm in my toaster oven. Having prepared food on hand is key for me.

So, I cook 3 lean meats, 4 to 5 fresh veggies, baked sweet potato wedges and brown rice. I rotate my selection until it runs out. Salad is also a good stand by. Just be sure to use a light dressing. I whisk extra virgin olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice and spices for a dressing over organic mixed greens. Hopefully, if my kids and husband don't eat it all, it'll last the entire week that I'm working. If not, I throw something in the oven while I'm working out. Roasted veggies are really good and easy to make. I hope this helps.