What are some tasty replacement sushi options?

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
One of my favorite sushi rolls, golden dragon, that is tempura fried is of course many calories but yummy. We went out last night and I shared one and had an eel and cucumber hand roll. I couldn't find the calories for that, it's smaller than a roll, but it was much better. I just about broke the bank in calories, though.

What are some of your favorite sushi? why? I am trying to pick some lower calorie options that still have the flavors I like. The plain fish is okay, but I like it better when it is a combination of ingredients.

Replies

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh I love dragon rolls so much. I love regular sushi too, nigiri specifically, which is quite low in calories. When I do rolls, I like the ones that include cucumber, because it's crunchy, one of the elements I like in the dragon roll. It's a different taste of course, but still delicious. I LOVE 49er sushi, which have very thin whole lemon slices that you eat with salmon and avocado. Really yummy.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Oh I love dragon rolls so much. I love regular sushi too, nigiri specifically, which is quite low in calories. When I do rolls, I like the ones that include cucumber, because it's crunchy, one of the elements I like in the dragon roll. It's a different taste of course, but still delicious. I LOVE 49er sushi, which have very thin whole lemon slices that you eat with salmon and avocado. Really yummy.

Mmm thank you
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    gpray4kep8h7.jpg

home made sushi alternative.....smoked salmon on
    whipped cream cheese, cuccumber slices and topped with green onion.
  • sinistraltyger
    sinistraltyger Posts: 19
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I go after sashimi and the riceless maki - most of your calories are coming from the rice. one of my meals at a sushi restaurant may be squid salad (150 cal) or sunomo (60 cal) (cucumber salad) and 15 pieces of sashimi (about 7 oz) (various - from 200 to 400 cal - some may be up to 600). If you really want the taste of the roll - share one, or ask for a box to be brought out with it and put half away before you start. :smiley:
  • lorib642
    Options
    gpray4kep8h7.jpg

home made sushi alternative.....smoked salmon on
    whipped cream cheese, cuccumber slices and topped with green onion.

Awesome, thanks
  • lorib642
    Options
    I go after sashimi and the riceless maki - most of your calories are coming from the rice. one of my meals at a sushi restaurant may be squid salad (150 cal) or sunomo (60 cal) (cucumber salad) and 15 pieces of sashimi (about 7 oz) (various - from 200 to 400 cal - some may be up to 600). If you really want the taste of the roll - share one, or ask for a box to be brought out with it and put half away before you start. :smiley:

Thanks, I always forget I can take some home
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Real sushi, make um fit your calories. I like unagi as well as spider rolls and I wouldn't want to trade um just to save a couple of calories.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,704 Member
    Options
    Spicy tuna rolls and classic futomaki rolls are tasty and not high in fat. Be aware that sushi rice is dressed in sweetened vinegar. If you want to avoid the sugar have sashimi and plain rice instead, if you don't find that too boring. Another tasty alternative is to try Korean sashimi, which is dressed in spicy paprika sauce instead of soy sauce. The Korean sushi rolls (they are similar to futomaki) are good too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sashimi-resized.jpg

Stop with all the weird rolls and whatnot...eat the real deal...sashimi!

1-nigiri-combo.jpg

Nigiri is pretty good too...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,517 Member
    Options
    On a business trip I lived on 10 nigiri sushi (used salmon, white fish and tuna), Edamame and misosoup with fish and tofu, alternating with grilled steak and potatoes, and once a gilled burger (premium meat, salad, some sauce) and fries for two weeks - and I lost weight.
  • lorib642
    Options
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I've trained myself off the rolls (except for yellowtail scallion - love it) and I stick to the sushi pieces. I stay away from eel because it's usually in a higher calorie sauce. I can't quite get into sashimi because I love the rice. That said, sushi with rice is not a low calorie endeavor - especially since I can eat a lot of it. I make sure to eat really light during the day and to get a workout in before indulging.
  • lorib642
    Options
    Paige682 wrote: »
    I've trained myself off the rolls (except for yellowtail scallion - love it) and I stick to the sushi pieces. I stay away from eel because it's usually in a higher calorie sauce. I can't quite get into sashimi because I love the rice. That said, sushi with rice is not a low calorie endeavor - especially since I can eat a lot of it. I make sure to eat really light during the day and to get a workout in before indulging.

Thank you. I didn't realize that about eel. I think the eating light, working out will help me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Usually I have salmon sashimi or just the plain salmon/avocado rolls (or plain salmon and tuna rolls). But I love raw salmon...
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Just my opinion, I have never really cared for day old sushi! Only order what you would eat.

I like to get the miso soup before ordering, low calorie and fills you up a little first. And I agree with the sashimi options + maybe one roll like a salmon avocado, yummy!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    psmd wrote: »
    Just my opinion, I have never really cared for day old sushi! Only order what you would eat.

I like to get the miso soup before ordering, low calorie and fills you up a little first. And I agree with the sashimi options + maybe one roll like a salmon avocado, yummy!

Same, always miso soup!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It's NOT the same, but I make lazy sushi with cauliflower rice. Not even bothering to roll, since cauliflower isn't sticky like rice. Season with 5% vinegar, salt and Stevia. Slice sashimi cuts. Dry off extra liquid. Julienne cucumber. Scissor the Nori sheets into 3x3. Pile rice, soy/wasabi dipped fish, cucumber, sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds. The Nori square is now like a little fish taco. If you pick lean seafood like cod or scallops it can be as low as 200-300. This is such a low count that I can even have it on fasting days.

l love tempura maki too. But it's literally drenched in oils. Only for special occasions for me, lol.

Edit: Btw, it's much easier to slice really thin sashimi if the fish is frozen and thawed just a bit. I buy good quality seafood and divide into 100 gr portions, for ease of use later.