Women Only.....

Purplegal32
Purplegal32 Posts: 85 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Anyone else out there have big busts and if so do you have any suggestions on what to do while working out. Before I started this journey I could never find a bra that could hold me up and I really didnt care about myself which of course led me to gain a lot of weight. Now as I am furthur along I am starting to care about my body and about a month ago I realized that the bras I had were way to big for me since I had lost the weight. I was really hanging bad for lack of a better word. So I went down to a 50 G and it holds me up somewhat and it must be doing its job cuz now I have cuts and bruises on my shoulders. I dont know if its the bras in general or because of the running and intense workouts. I dont want to stop working out but does anyone have any tips or suggestions or at the very least is there anyone who can relate? thanks :)

Replies

• I had this problem before I had my reduction. I would go to bra specialty shops and have them made a sports bra for me. Honestly, I think getting a custom made one is best. I use to use a lot of tape before getting a good bra.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    I wear sports bras when I work out. Could you try those? If not, I would recommend to go to a department store and get a proper fitting and ask for recommendations.
  • Is this a sports bra? Sports bras should be super comfy, and not scratch/bruise you
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Well I wear a 56G and I wear alot of the playtex 18 hour bras because of the padded strap and the great support ... Normally with just that bra I feel completely supported and no pain or bruises ... If im doing something like jumping jacks because I dont run I do sometimes put a sports bra over my bra to reduce the little bounce I tend to get .... Hope this helps just a bit.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Well I wear a 56G and I wear alot of the playtex 18 hour bras because of the padded strap and the great support ... Normally with just that bra I feel completely supported and no pain or bruises ... If im doing something like jumping jacks because I dont run I do sometimes put a sports bra over my bra to reduce the little bounce I tend to get .... Hope this helps just a bit.

http://www.womanwithin.com/Plus-Size-playtex.aspx?DeptId=11120
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    If your shoulders are getting beat up bad maybe you need a smaller band size. Try a 46 or 48. The support is supposed to come from the band, not the straps. Have you had yourself measured recently? It's so worth it. I've lost a cup size and about half a band size since losing 20 lbs so I am sure you are no different.
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    You might be right that heavy workouts could be really taxing your shoulders. Even a good bra could do damage if you get a lot of friction, but I'd think you wouldn't have that much of an issue with it. I don't know if it you've looked at Enell bras, but they did help me be able to do jumping jacks and run. I know this sounds silly, but if you're exercising at home could you put something under the straps to cushion things until you heal up a bit? Just a thought until you can come up with a better solution.

I feel your pain, though...I get sore in my back just at and above the bra line and I swear it's from trying to run with these heavy things!
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    When you're that big you need more support than a sports bra. I stayed with the 18 hr padded shoulder strap. It was very comfortable and held me in place so no bouncing around. It's a little pricey but well worth it's weight in gold. Once you've lost cup sizes, then you can look for a sports bra. :)
  • tonicia
    tonicia Posts: 145 Member
    im only 36dd but i cant run because it is so painful there. I just do elliptical since its a more circular motion and no hard landing. I also wear a regular bra underneath a sports bra. and just try not to ounce too much. lol.
  • sandyfeet10
    sandyfeet10 Posts: 280 Member
    I wear a regular bra with a sports bra over it, then i wear a built in bra tank top, then my t shirt!! It supports and absorbs the sweat!
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    I am a 40 G and what I do is where a really comfy bra and a cheap sports bra under it. Also I would think about adjusting your straps they sound like they are too tight.
  • Shed4Wed
    Shed4Wed Posts: 25
    I didn't think about that before I started working out; it just didn't cross my mind. The first time the trainer asked me to do Jumping Jacks, I thought I was going to die! Believe it or not, I found a "high impact" sports bra online, and I LOVE IT! Those girls don't move when I do jumping jacks now. Plus, it clips in the back like a regular bra, so I can adjust the tightness when I start shrinking (added bonus).

I can't remember where I bought my first one, but I found a second one at ****'s Sporting Goods. I was surprised they had one this big.

Good luck!
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Im a 36G and I wear a sports bra with a tight workout top (with a shelf bra) and then a tshirt on top. That way I have 2 bras on and it keeps everything in place. I understand your problem. I can never find bras or sports bras that fit me. I was fortunate to find some at target that they no longer sell.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    I wear a regular, soft yet slightly padded underwire bra, followed by a tank style sports bra, followed by a tank top with the built in shelf bra, followed by my regular shirt. ROFL! Only way to keep those girls in place on the treadmill.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    I wear a regular bra with a sports bra over it, then i wear a built in bra tank top, then my t shirt!! It supports and absorbs the sweat!

lol, I just posted the same thing. Great minds think alike! Plus it keeps them from touching which just feels nasty in a sprts bra
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    I don't, personally, have the problem but my friend would actualy wear 2 sports bras...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Enell bras are the way to go. They are a little pricey but you can usually find them on Ebay for $35.00. Worth every penny to me. I can run and there's no bounce what so ever.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    I dont have (quite) that big a chest, but I find any any amount of bouncing very uncomfortable, I wear a sports bra over my regular bra, I have a 30 D chest, so its hard to find a good fitting sports bra, that has band support but is still big enough, so I double up on the bras, not the most comfortable thing, but its better than bouncing.
  • Purplegal32
    Purplegal32 Posts: 85 Member
    ty everyone for the tips I will certainly take all your suggestions into consideration. Plus it helps to know I am not the only one that deals with this stuff! :) Have a great day!
This discussion has been closed.