food scale in front of roommates

Options
hey, so basically I just started college here in Italy and I live with 3 others girls that basically eat junk food all the time, well, thats their problem, thing here is that I measure all my foods with my electronic food scale, I was wondering, have you ever been seen measuring your foods? do you feel guilty or weird knowing someone's watching you doing so? Or do you feel ashamed of eating healthy foods while they are cooking some junk food? I don't even like those foods so I don't feel tempted

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    why would anyone feel ashamed of eating healthy foods rather than junk? Also, there's nothing weird about using a food scale...I'm an amateur chef and it's a pretty standard tool in the industry. Beyond that, who give a rats *kitten* what other people do or think?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel that way even though I know it's me taking care of myself. I guess I feel some pressure to be more "normal" but unfortunately that doesn't work for me.
  • TiaP17
    TiaP17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was embarassed to start with, but I've been doing it for 170 days now and everyone is used to me either weighing or scanning everything I eat. I've lost 22 lbs so far so I don't care what other people think. I'm getting pretty good at guessing weight as well now. I had some chocolate cake earlier and had enough calories left today for 50 g worth. I cut a piece and it was just under 50g. Weighing is the key. I weigh out snacks to take to work and nobody comments anymore and I think it's something I will do forever as I had no idea of portion size before. To be honest I get more embarassed at the thought of someone catching me doing my doing my Davina DVD lol.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Who cares what they think? You do you.

I weigh my food every single day (except holidays/parties/etc). It's no one else's business but my own. If they want to ask/talk about it, that's fine, but otherwise, it's all about me. I'm responsible for what I put in my body and they are responsible for what they put in theirs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes I hate doing it in front of people. My family, fine, but my husband's family or friends, it's tough. I typically just eyeball if they're here.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not care who sees me weigh my food.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    mikkielias wrote: »
    have you ever been seen measuring your foods? do you feel guilty or weird knowing someone's watching you doing so? Or do you feel ashamed of eating healthy foods while they are cooking some junk food?

Yes, no, and no respectively.

But I've never been very good at falling into line with everyone else's expectations of me. ;)
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    why would anyone feel ashamed of eating healthy foods rather than junk? Also, there's nothing weird about using a food scale...I'm an amateur chef and it's a pretty standard tool in the industry. Beyond that, who give a rats *kitten* what other people do or think?

Exactly this.
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, no, no
  • Stopin_da_yoyo
    Stopin_da_yoyo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Do ur thing....who cares what other people think
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Your food choices don't affect them. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

+1
    Why should anyone care? You shouldnt. You know why you are doing it? They should respect your dedication.

• Daphnerose86
    Daphnerose86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It's always hard to be the odd man out- regardless of if you should or shouldn't feel weird about it. I don't measure my food but I'm the only one of my friends from work who brings my own lunch. They munch on candy bars and chips while I have my carrots, celery and peanut butter. They made comments at first but now it's just how it is. Your roommates will get used to it, don't worry.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yes I hate doing it in front of people. My family, fine, but my husband's family or friends, it's tough. I typically just eyeball if they're here.

This. It's kind of weird to me, I visited family back in May and brought my food scale; I was totally comfortable using it in my parents' home but I found myself unwilling to pull it out at my in-laws. I don't know what the deal was but I just was overwhelmed with an uneasy, "I don't have the guts/time/desire to put up with being teased" feeling.. My husband, kids and I are going back at Christmas and I'll have to suck it up but I'm not looking forward to it.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I never think to care about what anyone thinks of ANYTHING I do...one of the perks of getting older...the IDGAF factor multiplies. You do you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I never think to care about what anyone thinks of ANYTHING I do...one of the perks of getting older...the IDGAF factor multiplies. You do you.

Lol, I like you. But yeah, if I was going to live with those people, I'd just do it. I mean, you're going to have to put up with THEIR weird habits too anyway, so heck.

My main issue with being uncomfortable with a lot of people is that I don't want people to think I have an eating disorder/I'm one of 'those crazies' who only eat rabbit food. Which is kinda hilarious if you know me, but I'm getting comments ALL THE TIME as it is (oh just have one slice etc) so I just don't want to make things worse.

The bottom line is that people usually don't get it. I mean maybe it would seem less weird to them if I told them I'm weighing my food to make sure I'm leaving enough room for dessert.