Do you do free days or "cheat" days?

Options
And if so, how? Do you just give yourself one day that you don't count? Do you save up deficits during the week to use on your free day? Allow yourself a set number of extra calories on your free day?
I'm a foodie and I worry if I don't get to indulge every once in a while at a fantastic restaurant that I'm going to lose motivation. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Nope. For various reasons (usually doe to lack of sleep and / or humidity as both affect me badly) ill occasionally go over, but it's not by design. If there's something I particularly want then I'll plan around it. As I need this to be my way of life now and forever I'm trying to learn to manage all I take rather than have pre planned good and bad days, if that makes sense.
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Sorry, just realised my reply was somewhat lacking in eloquence! I go out to dinner, but I have smaller quantities and / or a lighter option. I've also found that I can't eat as much as I used to and my tastes are changing, so it becomes self limiting anyway.
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I think of my calories as a budget. Although I may go over it at times, overall I need to keep it in check.

I don't think in terms of "cheats," because to me, that's a negative term. I think in terms of "treats," and I typically plan for them. For me, thinking of it as a treat means I can fully enjoy it without guilt -- counterintuitively, that tends to make me be satisfied with less.

I wouldn't call myself a foodie, but definitely enjoy food. I've found that I am simply not satisfied without one hearty meal a day, so I typically eat light breakfast/lunch and snack little so I can eat a full plate at dinner and still stay in my budget. You'll have to experiment with what strategies work for you that still leave you enjoying life. It has to be sustainable, or it won't stick.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I don't have planned cheat days because too many unplanned temptations come up already, but I am still new to this
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I, like ksolksol above, think of my calories as a budget. I have a daily budget and a weekly budget. I try to keep within my daily budget, but sometimes go over. Last week was my birthday and between friends taking me out to eat and for celebratory drinks, I was way over two Saturdays in a row. I know that technically you can't make up for it, but I made up for it by doing a bit more in my workouts and planning a bit more "tight-like" in the days before and after.
    I tend to do better in keeping to my budget if I do a solid breakfast. (I fought that for years, convinced that I was not a breakfast person.) 2 Eggs over a piece of toast with 3 slices of Turkey bacon. On days when I wake up famished, I change the budget to allow half an avocado or a slice of cheese on my breakfast toast. Light lunch and light dinner, with a strong portion of my daily budget left for my nocturnal gnoshing. I work strange hours and the wee hours of the morning are my trouble times, so plenty of budget left for snacks. I also allow daily "treats." I love a good dark chocolate...so I budget a square, piece or portion into every single day! Best of luck to you!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    No. It's too easy for me to blow a week or 2 in a cheat meal. I did let myself go a little bit on my birthday this year. I logged as best as I could with my birthday cake (4"x4" chocolate cake from a store bakery) and an eclair (store bakery). With my guessing, I was over my daily goal by at least 1,000 and that was just with the desserts. I only logged it to see how far over I would go.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yes when I really NEED one (typically when my body just keeps asking for more food). But that's why I've only lost 20 pounds in a year and I'm still not at my goal weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I've never felt the need for it. If I want something, I work it into my calories. Now I did take a weekend off last month for my birthday and my brother's wedding, ate at maintenance, and still gained four pounds of water weight. That's not happening again.
  • LIve_Laugh_Love_Strong
    Options
    I think it depends on what you are used to eating. You will find that if you tend to eat less refined sugars and carbs, that these just don't taste as good as they used to. This is an easy way to manage on those temptation type meals. Usually they will seem too rich and as such you will not feel the need to consume large amounts. This also allows you to stay within or near your calorie range. I still enjoy birthday cake and red wine, but definitely not in the quantities as before. I find that now that I eat clean, everything tastes better, but bread is too bland and sugar is too sweet so I rarely eat them. Just my two cents:)
  • TJR88
    TJR88 Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not deliberately giving myself regular days where I eat without licence because knowing myself I will eat way in excess of my daily needs.

If I know I'm going to a restaurant I'll look up the menu, try to guestimate the calories of what I want and adjust my other meals for the day to accommodate it e.g. i'll skip breakfast and have a small lunch (so I can get the creamy pasta dish and chocolate dessert at my local italian!).

I might also skip breakfast the next day but I try not to as I really want to learn how to moderate my portions and budget my calories within a day. Borrowing too many calories on excess days that I never paid back with deficit days is how I got in trouble in the first place - after a while I've learnt that for me its best not to borrow in the first place!
  • Ishii19
    Ishii19 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes - they're not regularly scheduled or anything but on occasions when it would be too much of a hassle to count calories (spending all day with other people, eating out, etc) or maybe if I go out on a date with my honey to a great restaurant and just want to indulge or something like that. I'd say it only comes up once or twice a month and has not slowed my progress. I don't use those days to binge or anything and I bet on occasion on some of those days I even stay under goal - I just don't want to be obsessive about it - it's a marathon not a sprint :)
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have a single unplanned meal where i go all out and over gorge. Last one was this past NYE.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well I keep my calories and my macro's in check all week and then Sunday I have a day where I still count my calories but I dont count my macro's allows me to go out have fun and have pizza every so often
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Nope. I think of this as just how I live my life. Sometimes I have treats, sometimes I indulge. Sometimes I over indulge. Clothes, a night out, food... it's my life. I don't think of it as something where I work and work knowing in X days I can "cheat". I eat healthy, and apparently within my calories, about 80% of the time. I exercise. When I indulge in something special, it's just that. cheers
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I really can't do cheat days. If I don't stay with it, I can still fall off the wagon pretty quick. It's hard trying to get a good relationship with food again but it'll happen. It's a marathon; not a sprint. :)
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    For me, there's never a day that I don't track everything I eat. But some days I allow myself to eat into the margin between BMR and TDEE. As long as I stay below TDEE (maintenance level), I feel as if I've indulged without really threatening my success. And oddly, that seems like a LOT of food, I've not been tempted to go beyond because I think I would feel physically ill at this point. The key is knowing the difference between restricting and tracking. Always track, but you don't always have to restrict ... make tracking the one rule you never bend, and you'll always stay "on track" ... (pun intended) ...
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Since nothing is really forbidden as long as I stay within my calorie counts, I don't really worry about "cheat days." I can eat what I like as long as I don't go over my calories.

That said, while I intend to LOG everything I eat on Christmas and Thanksgiving, I may not wind up being within calorie counts there. Otherwise, I just don't worry about it, stick to my calorie counts and eat what makes me happy.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Cheat days and 'free days' are very dangerous. Two weeks of discipline can be undone in one day. If you want to eat more on a day, always track what you ate. I agree with Quieau on this.
  • erickennichole
    erickennichole Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have to feel spontaneous some times. I have been doing great and steadily been losing and am half way to my goal. I know the days when I need to give myself some indulgence. I can fight it but it will nag at me so why fight it, why not reward myself for the early morning workouts and counting the calories. Certainly don't binge but out to eat with dessert or a special dinner at home with hubby, YES! No guilt. All things in moderation, including moderation. Not guilt tripping myself allows me the mental stamina to get right back on the horse the next day with even more enthusiasm. I have a day like this a couple times a month and it actually seems to give my weight loss a little boost, a couple days later I will see a difference, boosts my metabolism or something.