Fixes for overpronation?

Options
I overpronate on my left side. My right is apparently fine.

Is there anything I can do that doesn't involve new shoes or inserts to help correct this?

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the origin of a problem like this is actually up in the hips. Find a physical therapist that can evaluate you.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You can tape it. Here are a couple vids on doing it:

youtu.be/Sk7xN_cCm88

youtu.be/5t1fvKok9NI

Did you used to play basketball or other jumping sports? That's a common cause of one-sided overpronation, due to injury to the tendon that supports the arch.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Sometimes, simply being aware of what you are doing can lead to you gradually changing your gait to fix it. I used to underpronate but once I was aware I changed my running style slightly and the problem fixed itself.
  • MaintainCats
    MaintainCats Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    You can tape it. Here are a couple vids on doing it:

youtu.be/Sk7xN_cCm88

youtu.be/5t1fvKok9NI

Did you used to play basketball or other jumping sports? That's a common cause of one-sided overpronation, due to injury to the tendon that supports the arch.

I did volleyball and soccer but that's all I ever really did for sports. Could be from soccer maybe since it is my non-dominant foot.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    212019156 wrote: »
    Sometimes the origin of a problem like this is actually up in the hips. Find a physical therapist that can evaluate you.

It could be a problem, so when in doubt get professional medical advice.

To Cherimoose's point, you can tape it and post it. If you are able to, then tape these two tests.

1. Overhead Bodyweight Squat: Stand feet shoulder-width apart with feet pointing forward and arms straight up with hands over head, and then squat. Have the video record you doing 5 reps from the front and 5 from the side, make sure it's close enough to get your feet but include your entire body.

2. Single leg squat: Record front and side

Some causes of foot pronation could be...
    1. Tight hips and / or Tight IT Bands
    2. Underactive calf muscles
    3. Underactive glutes
    4. Underactive hamstrings
    5. Overactive Adductors

You could very well correct this issue by improving flexibility and strength in the areas mentioned above. Before you exercise you can try doing some foam rolling and do a 30-sec hold on tight spots. Then do some active-isolation stretching by extending the stretch, holding it for 2-sec, release, extend and hold for 2-sec, rinse and repeat for 10 reps, do 1 to 3 sets per stretch if necessary.

Exercise-wise, you can start by doing some simple calf raises, reverse DB lunges, romanian dead-lifts, and back extensions to help improve strength in those areas. For 4 weeks work those exercises and use a 4/2/1 temp (4-second eccentric, 2-sec hold, 1-sec concentric) for 12-20 reps at 1-3 sets.

If you can post videos like I mentioned above that would be more helpful but if not you have something to work with if you can't see a professional.